Odd temporary problem with BHK 250

So it sounds like my tubes are on the fritz, but like others have said, better the tubes than the amp. Even though I’m fortunate enough to live within driving distance to PS Audio, it’s much easier to pop-in a set tubes, vs muscling the 80 lb amp around. Assuming it’s the tubes, is it safe to continue to listen to music, without fear of damaging the speakers?

Well, safer just to make the trip to the factory for new tubes. ‘I am assuming it is the same fault condition with your 250’…? I don’t like playing my system when there is strange noises emanating…!

The problem definitely emanated from the 250. It did however completely disappear after powering it off then back on again. Too busy to make the drive up to Boulder this week, so I’ll have to have them ship me a new set.
Probably just wait for the new tubes to arrive, before firing the system back up again. Of course the new tubes will take some time to settle in. Back on the break-in merry-go-round.

I’m sure it sounds great, but damn am I happy I have a completely solid state amplifier. I hope things get resolved for you quickly with the new tubes.

:grinning::grinning:… You spend more time burning-in than actual pleasurable listening…!

That’s been the case so far, after upgrading all of my electronics, and having to replace two of those new components a few times, along with breaking in a new pair of ic’s. At some point I’m hoping this scenario reverses. But such is the case, when upgrading almost everything at once, then having to demo several different brands of cables, in an attempt to fine tune the new system. There has however been glorious moments of elation, when everything just clicks, and I’ve been swept away by the music.

Nobody ever said being an audiophile is all fun and games. :pensive:

The tribulations of an audiophile…! :grinning:

Remember, tubes (or the unit inheriting them), as long as hot, shouldn’t be moved. Just to prevent killing new tubes…

…at least this is a recommendation I got some time ago…