Open Baffle speakers

Darren

I think you will enjoy them just remember they won’t open up for a while. Even though they are quite efficient they do much better with some power behind them. I’ve had mine for over a year and they are back in Utah being upgraded to Triode Masters right now.

I picked a used pair about 1.5 years old so they should be broken in well. I would like feedback on the Triode upgrade! Keep me posted.

FYI, Spatial Audio does NOT have a transferable warranty. As a matter of fact they only offer a materials and fabrication warranty?? So no real warranty!cry Not sure, maybe they don’t have confidence in their own product?? I am really looking forward to PSA towers someday!

Wouldn’t a “materials and fabrication” warranty include the baffle, drivers and crossover? Pretty much covers all the parts. Not really sure what there is to break if they aren’t abused which wouldn’t be covered anyway. Since the days of foam surrounds are long gone speakers can last for decades. I have several pair from ADS and Snell that are approaching 30 years old and they play just like new.

Paul McGowan said

No and I must admit my bias against Sonus Faber is based (stupidly) on only a few models of their mid priced lines which were nice but uninvolving. I absolutely adore their cabinetry, their attention to detail, the whole feel of the company. I was very sad when Fine Sounds bought them. Sucked the soul right out of the company from what I can see. It’s a great brand and I’ll bet the higher end models are wonderful.

I’d agree with Paul. Although my experience is somewhat limited, I wasn’t too taken with the Olympica III’s but am smitten with the Venere and Il Cremonese. The Il Cremonese’s, in particular, are pretty amazing. And calling them beautiful is an insult to their form. Just gorgeous. Definitely worth an audition.

dawkinsj said

Wouldn’t a “materials and fabrication” warranty include the baffle, drivers and crossover? Pretty much covers all the parts. Not really sure what there is to break if they aren’t abused which wouldn’t be covered anyway. Since the days of foam surrounds are long gone speakers can last for decades. I have several pair from ADS and Snell that are approaching 30 years old and they play just like new.

Guess it doesn’t matter since the warranty isn’t transferable. Oh well, life if full of chances. UPS should be delivering them tomorrow. I’ll post my thoughts on them this weekend!

Sorry attached to wrong quote the first time.

If you bought them from a reputable seller on one of the forums and they were re-packaged and wrapped as originally shipped you should be fine. Playing them loud is actually good for them. Good luck with the shipping company.

Jack

They arrived today. No damage. I do have one speaker fabric cover that is loose, So I may have to re-glue it or something?

I have tried these from 24" to 48" from rear wall. I am not sure how people get enough base to not need a sub?? My SVS SB-13 subs are on 0 DB and set to 80 hz at -24 slope. Just enough base but not crazy. No extra headroom how tho?? Puzzled? Anyone have any thoughts. Room is large. 24’ X 22’ with 8’ ceiling

That is a fairly large room. You need to move quite a bit of air to produce enough bass. The distance from the real wall appears correct to me to get good bass.

What do you mean by headroom in your above comment?

The subs are set to 100 or 0 DB. The XLR output from PSA BHK pre is used for the speakers, RCA to subs. I maybe should get a XLR splitter pair, so I can run XLR to both subs and speaker amp. They the subs should be a bit louder.

Darren

The gain from the XLR outputs is just over 9 db while the output from the RCA’s is just over 3db so a third as much. There will be a huge difference in output from the two. My Room is 24 x 26 x10 and I could get away without the two subs, but I have them so why not use them. Also bass from OB speakers projects into the room much differently so if the Spatial’s are your first venture in this direction if will take some adjusting to. If you can to avoid the gain difference try the subs with the speaker level inputs. Otherwise just know that a fairly large difference is going to exist. My subs are set at 50 hz. and matched with an SPL meter. Every room will be different.

I agree. I did this. I had to add cheap adapter to my MG Audio XLR cables to rca. NOT ideal. It helped. But this is not a permanent answer.

What might be would be to add a JL Audio CR-1. Anyone use one?

I think I will pick up a JL Audio CR-1. I have read amazing reviews on this unit. Since it’s mostly all analog I think it will keep the system as pure as possible.

I did swap the XLR and RCA around to provide more DB to the subs. This will not be needed once I get the CR-1.

With some position tweaking, and sub crossover adjustments I got the system to be a lot better. I am learning the speakers traits, and I am liking them a lot for the little money I paid for them!

Ordered up a Jl Audio CR-1 to add to my BHK preamp BHK 250 amp set up. Spatial Audio M3 Turbo speakers. On the fence on subs? Jl Audio F113v2 pair or SVS SB-16 ultra pair?

PSA found a bad main board ion my BHK preamp. This could explain the lack of bottom end I mentioned in the posts above. I also popped on a JL Audio CR-1 and 2 JL Audio F113v2 subs. So when I get the PSA gear back I hope to have everything set up, and dialed in. The CR-1 should work great from the many many reviews I have read. No one had a bad word to say about it.

Darren, I’m a little confused [nothing new there], here you are talking about the subs you are adding to your Spatial speakers, but you are also trying to sell a pair of Spatial speakers. Do you own more than one pair?

In the discussions of open back speakers, I haven’t seen any mention of Legacy. Their Whisper, Aeris, and top of the line V system are all partially open backed. If my finances changed the Aeris would be the first speaker I would audition, and if we are talking major financial improvement with a large listening room then the Vs would be on the top of my list.

Yes, I would part with them if someone wanted them. I was toying with upgrading them. Or I could sell them and go a slightly different direction.

I do have the Spatial Audio M3 Turbo pair up for sale if someone is interested. Can be easily upgraded to the S or Triode version for little money.

Price drop.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649382618-spatial-audio-m3-turbo/

I love open baffle speakers. The first time I heard them was around 2013 when there was a great Italian pair at Axpona. The next year was Spatial’s debut and I bought a pair soon thereafter. The bottom line for me is that everyone agrees that they work better in my room than the AZ Adagio’s that they displaced.

People have mostly mentioned Emerald Physic and Spatial, but what about the brands that have mid and tweeter mounted on an open baffle. I’m blanking on the name of the best-known example. I was also very surprised to read that those mega buck Zellatons are open-backed. I do view this as mainly a matter of taste. Wouldn’t try to convert anyone.