Our list..for Paul

Born in '73 so much of my music purchasing was done in the loudness war era. This album taught we what dynamic range is and also happens to be one of the most musically satisfying in my collection. Also made me realise the effect a recording engineer can have on the sound of a band and bankrupted me as I bought any other recordings by Steve Albini I had more than a passing interest in.

3 Likes

Yes that’s a good one, as is this, driven in part by the “production values” as were Rid of Me and Dry:

2 Likes

My list is

Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Session

fin

3 Likes

Great suggestion - listening now via Roon/Tidal…

Single microphone digital recording. On a good system? mwah. Chef’s kiss.

1 Like

I like recordings like this on which you can “hear the room”. Check out Melissa Menago’s “Little Crimes” for such a treat.

2 Likes

You can literally close your eyes and say “drums over there…bass there…guitarist there…”. Spatial placement just blew me away the first time I heard it on a genuinely resolving system.

1 Like

Never got into them at the time of release but got added to the " to buy " list a couple of years ago. Your suggestion may have bumped it closer to the top.

Love that one.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time out of what is certainly a busy life to say so.

Mike in Dayton

Not much action here for a while. I just listened to Reese Wynans new release called Sweet Release. I think it’s his first album he himself has put out.

OK, maybe not so audiophile but his hammond B3 was resonating my floor just slightly on the
song " Soul Island " at very modest volume level . My newly assembled LXmini’s had never done this before even at higher volumes with even more bass oriented music. It made my spine tingle!
This cut also features underrated blues guitarist Josh Smith. On the last song of the album he plays a instrumental version of " Blackbird " on piano by himself. Way cool!

3 Likes

Welcome, @skitchfish !

Damn. Who’s the knothead that thought up this thread? Here’s a few more from ol’ Mongo:

Elton John: Talking Old Soldiers. Wistful reflections about growing old, and losing friends.
Dan Folgerberg: Another Old Lang Sign (sp), and Nether Lands. His music really paints a picture.
Page and Plant: Kashmir, from the Page and Plant Unplugged. The Egyptian drum section just goes nuts.
Gino Vanelli: Storm At Sunup. Excellent voice and very talented musicians. Pauper In Paradise is very tasty too.

Keeprollinthemtunes,

Mongo

1 Like

This cut, on the original US LP, was the first time the word “imaging” came into my hi-fi vocabulary, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. The vocal is uncanny. For some reason I’ve never gotten the same sensation from other, later releases.

1 Like

Just listened to 112. Jazz Variants: WOW! Image focus/placement/solidity in space is phenomenal! Good cut to demo those soundstage properties. Soundstaging seems to extend outside the left and right sides of the triangle formed by me and the speakers.

1 Like

Corinne Bailey Ray - Live In New York CD - available on Spotify. The CD is part of the DVD pack:

Watch Corinne Bailey Rae - Live in London & New York | Prime Video (amazon.com)

The DVD is recorded in London but the CD is basically the same tracks recorded in NY.

The CD tracks I keep playing are Till It Happens To You and Choux Pastry Heart.

The drums and bass are superbly recorded and the recording is really clear and dynamic. If it doesn’t sound that way you need to improve your system/room.

1 Like

Rumors of my death were greatly exaggerated…
More Mongo crap for your consideration…
2 story albums that are a lot of fun:
Jeff Wayne’s War Of The Worlds. Lot of guest artists.
Rick Wakeman- Journey To The Center Of The Earth
Both were double albums on vinyl, so they’ll take you a while to listen to them. Nice way to spend a rainy afternoon, methinks.

Still kickin’

Mongo

1 Like

Hello There! I am new to the forum and I thought I would list a few of my favorite demo tracks.

Patricia Barber - The Beat Goes On
Rebekah Del Rio - Llorando
Jennifer Warnes - First We Take Manhattan
Fleetwood Mac - Family Man
Evie Sands - While I Look At You
Julie London - Cry Me A River
Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street
Shelby Lynne - How Can I Be Sure
Supertramp - Dreamer
Lyn Stanley - At Seventeen
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
Jennifer Warnes - Joan Of Arc (Live in Concert Version)
Symphonic Pink Floyd - Time (Long Version)

6 Likes

Welcome, @analog237 !

Welcome to my nightmare, A237. This forum has been a lot of fun. Review the old posts when you get a chance. LOTS of great music suggestions from a LOT of nice folks. It has cost me a LOT of money in buying new music, but I have no complaints. I’ll look at some of your music ideas, soon.

Agenuinerockandrolldinosaur,

Mongo

1 Like