P3 with amps

I have read a number of reports/forums of people suggesting we should not use the P3/P5/P10 with our amps due to potentially damaging the amps. I currently have the following gear:

simaudio i7 amp (150wpc; 40A peak draw, 20A continuous);

anthony Gallo sub amp (160wpc; 9A draw);

simaudio supernova CD player;

exasound e20 DAC;

Mac mini computer (music server);

DSPeaker anti-mode 2.0 room correction processor;

Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.

Should I have any concern with all these devices plugged into the P3, in particular, my two amps?

No, no worries at all. What reports of “damage” have you read? I am unfamiliar with them. The products are quite safe and help the sound in a rather significant manner.

I’m not sure of all the particulars of the damage noted, but one post indicated having to replace his amps transformer. That one was with the PPP and not the P3/5 or 10. I believe much of the discussion is around using the multi wave feature with amplifiers. I’m the wrong kind of engineer to understand the electrical side of things, but here is one post I was reading: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ultra-hi-end-ht-gear-20-000/778394-ps-audio-power-plant-premier-ongoing-review-thread-6.html

i only got worried as I came across the forums after I placed my order for thee P3. And then I read a review that the P3 was acceptable for lower powered amps and tube amps where I wouldn’t consider either of my amps to fall in that category.

Thanks for for your quick response.

Given the specs of my amps noted above, would I be able to plug them into the regenerated outlets vs the high current outlets?

mark81 said Given the specs of my amps noted above, would I be able to plug them into the regenerated outlets vs the high current outlets?
I think that is something that you'll have to try for yourself. If your amps have switch mode power supplies inside, they'll be more demanding on a Power Plant, I believe.

I’d suggest that you connect the most power hungry on the passive outlets to begin with, and everything else on regenerated. Then check the power draw, and introduce your amps one by one on regenerated, checking the % power draw each time.

Opinions vary here, but I personally never like to drive my P10 above 50% max capacity. But that’s me …

Either way, as Paul suggested: The P3 will enhance your sound significantly.

Thanks for the advice. This raises additional questions:

1. Will the P3 read the power draw on the passive outlets also?

2. If I were to max or overload the power draw on the regenerated outlets, is there risk of damaging anything?

3. Wouldn’t regenerated power have the best effects on items that draw the most power like amplifiers?

I’m wondering now if I made the wrong choice of the P3 over the P5 or 10.

I would like to hear from anyone if they know why a switch mode power supply would be more demanding than other types of amps

The switch mode supply and amp is generally an efficient amp and consumes way less current than traditional amps

look forward to anyone’s comments

Thanks

plcomp said

Opinions vary here, but I personally never like to drive my P10 above 50% max capacity. But that’s me …

It is always good to have a reserve, but why 50% instead of, say, 35% or 70%?
Johno said I would like to hear from anyone if they know why a switch mode power supply would be more demanding than other types of amps

The switch mode supply and amp is generally an efficient amp and consumes way less current than traditional amps

I suspect that people are thinking of demanding not in terms of power delivery but in terms of filtering noise. Switch mode supplies generate a lot more high frequency noise than a linear power supply and you want to keep that noise away from the rest of your system.

P10…

It has 2 “high current” outlet pairs…have my amp and pre amp ( Mark Levinson 331 and Phonitor 2 preamp) plugged in (and the 331 is a beast)…the P10 does not even blink…pure power.

… ******but I just plugged in my Samsung LED display in the high current outlet, (…it was just plugged into the other P10 outlet)… My picture got even better…I use HD air antenna and the local news was like I was in the newsroom!

Those high current outlets have hidden audio magic! ***

Also, I have a long optical out cable (TOS) from the display to my PSDAC as well…ahhhh…all smiles. Pure visual picture and sound…“Pass it on…”

Prior, I had been using the Power plant premiere to start …and it had great video results as well, outstanding in fact, but just couldn’t handle my Levinson 331…

but my PPP is now in my other set up and very pleased, that has an Emotiva XPA 100 amp …and has no power issues, good match …great products and great flexibility.

now…should I get the upgrade for my DAC Mk II…ummm. Perhaps. :)

Boy, did this get off topic. Sorry guys, I didn’t purchase a P10, or even a P5. I got the lowly P3 and was hoping to get answers to my questions/concerns specifically about it.

dcuscela said

… ******but I just plugged in my Samsung LED display in the high current outlet, (…it was just plugged into the other P10 outlet)… My picture got even better…I use HD air antenna and the local news was like I was in the newsroom!

Those high current outlets have hidden audio magic! ***

Also, I have a long optical out cable (TOS) from the display to my PSDAC as well…ahhhh…all smiles. Pure visual picture and sound…“Pass it on…”

I have my TV and my DVR both plugged into the PPP, and an optical out from the DVR feeding the PWD Mk II. Man, TV never looked or sounded this good before!
mark81 said

2. If I were to max or overload the power draw on the regenerated outlets, is there risk of damaging anything?

3. Wouldn’t regenerated power have the best effects on items that draw the most power like amplifiers?

• I do not understand what you are asking.

• No. The unit will simply switch to drawing power straight from the wall.

• It depends on each piece of equipment and and interplay between them in your system. Pieces with the best built in power supplies tend to benefit the least. Experiment.

• It is appropriate to get us back to focusing on your questions. Topics here more then tend to wander. This is generally great, but it can be detrimental as well.

@Johno

I’m not technical. However, from what I understand, switching supplies (e.g. the GC series) has a “capacitive” load (whatever that means), which apparently is more demanding on a power plant because of a “low power factor” - they have a relatively high current (amps) for the amount of power (watts) they use.

I’d prefer that somebody more knowledgeable on this topic comment further. The above are basically “snippets” of info that I have gathered in my notes over the years, gleaned from forums, emails etc.

However, I think that you can trust the display % on the P5 and P10 in this regard. It will display the true draw from what I understand, as it allows for the power factor. Which although I’m not sure, I don’t think the PPP allowed for it.

So you’ll perhaps hook up a GCC 500 amp, and will be surprised at (say) the 50% draw on the display, because the pair of 850 watt monoblocks you used prior, only showed 35% …

@Elk

I live in a 230V country, and have had experience with the P300, P600, PPP and the latest generation. The early units were about 50% efficient, as I recall - and generated a lot of heat.

Heat IMO is bad for long term reliability.

The PPP as I recall was about 75% efficient - a lot better. I could be wrong, but I think the P5 / P10 too.

So my feeling to drive my P10 at half capacity max, is subjective and was perhaps more relevant in the old days, when a lot more heat was generated.

Perhaps today it is not required any more, the latest generation power plants are leaps and bounds improved!

But, call me superstitious if you like …

Oh and btw I DO actually drive my P10 at around 35% max. That’s with PWT; DS; and 2x 750watt monoblocks (Musical Fidelity 750K); on a pair of Vivid Giya II’s. TV not connected 'cause I don’t watch TV any more.

At the end of the day, I would not want to be without my P10 … it sure makes a difference!

Elk said
    mark81 said

• I do not understand what you are asking.

• No. The unit will simply switch to drawing power straight from the wall.

• It depends on each piece of equipment and and interplay between them in your system. Pieces with the best built in power supplies tend to benefit the least. Experiment.

• It is appropriate to get us back to focusing on your questions. Topics here more then tend to wander. This is generally great, but it can be detrimental as well.

First, thanks for your answers. My P3 should arrive today so experimentation can begin. Regarding my first question, as I understand things, the power plant will display the amount of watts my equipment is drawing. I was only wondering if it also showed the amount of watts drawn through the high current/ non-regenerated outlets, or does it only do this for the regenerated outlets?

Mark I actually don’t know, but I should think it’ll only be the regenerated draw.

The display would be next to useless otherwise, because how else would you know how hard you’re driving the P3?

Easily enough tested though. Just plug in stuff into the Passive outlets only, to begin with (like your amps) and check the draw …

Ok, I received my P3 today and just finished connecting it. I first tried my Simaudio amp on one of the HC outlets. Plugged in here, the display shows no wattage draw. So, I switched it over to one of the regen outlets and at idle, it showed ~40 watts. I then decided to plug all my components into the regen outlets and tried my system at the maximum levels I would ever turn it to. These peaked at about 300 W, well below the 750 capacity of the P3. Based on this, it eliminates my fear that the P# was not going to have enough juice for my gear when everything was plugged into the regen side. Unless someone can convince me that it is not a good idea to have my amps plugged into the regen, I think I will leave them as is and take advantage of that feature. The only issue I have encountered is accessing the internal web page. I am getting the blue led indicating I’m connected, but when I type in the address, I get some world energy news site. I’ve posted this as a separate topic as well, so hopefully someone will have a solution for me.

It looks like you are good to go. Definitely keep the amps plugged into the regenerated outlets as well since you have plenty of capacity to spare.

Do you guys turn your power plants off when not in use?