Photography

8 Likes

The wife snapped this a couple nights ago with her iPhone 13 Pro. At/near full moon.

8 Likes

Battersea Powerstation, I like this project. Very environmental friendly. Coal fueled electrical power has become obsolete but they kept the infrastructure for future use. It is very likely that the Animals album cover of Pink Floyd had a lot to do with the decision to go ahead with that project.
The iconic location mus have attracted lots of investors. London is good at giving existing infrastructure a more useful purpose.

Quite the opposite. The building was decommissioned in 1975 and could not be demolished as it has a protection order. It became came a ruin. Various redevelopment plans failed. Finally after 40 years some Malaysians bought and redeveloped it. Don’t think an album cover had anything to do with it.

next generation, unless lurking Bar Owl in my woods prevails.

10 Likes

Wild weather here tonight.

11 Likes

12 Likes

10 Likes

The first photo in particular is really fine composition. :+1:

1 Like

Thank-you for the kind reply…

1 Like

Unusual clouds formation here in the mountains

12 Likes

11 Likes

15 Likes

14 Likes

Nevertheless it’s another industrial building in London that got an alternative useful purpose. It’s iconic due to that album cover. I trust that most other high cost real estate investments are financed by the few in the world, often outside of London, who have enough capital to support such projects.

Battersea Power Station is iconic because you see it from just about every train going south from Victoria Station, anytime you go along the River Thames by boat or on foot, etc. It’s very central in London, just over a mile from Buckingham Palace. The fact that it appeared on a 1970s album cover might be relevant to a few people, but not that many. It was iconic long before Pink Floyd were even born, as the largest brick building in Europe.

1 Like

In the 1750s this is what people called the back garden. It’s all man-made, designed by Capability Brown.

4 Likes

Something you don’t see every day…spotted while walking down to the ballpark from my parents’ house to watch my second cousin’s baseball game:

11 Likes

Holy flux capacitor!!!

3 Likes