Planar Magnetic Loudspeaker Aficionados!

Thanks @tj-sully!

I use wireworld eclipse 7s. Sound great on my 20.7. No idea what price point you are looking at. But FWIW.

For anyone that is a true planar fan, these are absolutely incredible.

Very pricy - the Botticelli as shown at RMAF is $87,000 - but possibly the best speaker I have ever heard, better than even the Apogee Full Ranges.

Iā€™m working on scheduling a longer, non-show conditions listen.

AlsyVox

I concur, absolutely. I also heard these the the RMAF and they are incredible.

ā€¦ and Alsyvox make two LARGER models than these.

Awesome. Follow up with your impressions. Iā€™ve heard 200k speakers that I was not impressed with. Itā€™s a sad day when I think - 87k huh - well at least they sound good!! :slight_smile:

I saw in one of your videos, that ANā€™s IRS Killer prototypes use the BG Neo10 midrange. I built a pair of speakers that pair it with the Linaeum dipole tweeters, and a pair of 8" woofers. Picked 8 inchers because I know Iā€™d be using a sub. They all blend well.

Mongo

I played with a modified RadioShack pair of speakers a few years ago with the Linaeum tweeter. Very special drive unit.

Yeah those linaeum tweeters were pretty nice. I had a pair of RS speakers with those (canā€™t recall the name). Great tweeter wasted on a mediocre (at best) speaker system.

Mediocre? Youā€™re being kind. I remember hearing those speakers at RS, and they sounded like shitā€¦but there was something about the mid-high that really caught my attention. I filed that impression away, and was looking around on Ebay a couple of years ago, and saw some of those tweeters listed for sale. I ended up buying about 4 pair of them, for not much money, and started tinkering with them. I bought a pair of BG Neo 10s, and crossed over at 500-4500 with 2 8" woofers. Iā€™ll post a few pictures of it later. Quite obvious that RS didnā€™t know what they had with those tweeters. If youā€™re interested, get on UTube, and do a search for JP Stacks. I entered a speaker building competition with them.

Mongo

1 Like

you have great taste : )

hereā€™s mine!

5 Likes

Thank you fryman,
I am sure you are enjoying your Amphitytrons on a daily basis the way I do.
All the best
Terry

I canā€™t let my fellow Analysis friends share alone

3 Likes

2 Likes

Welcome, fryman!

A moirƩ fan. :slight_smile:

That isnā€™t a sub. Both cabinets make up a 3-way speaker- 2 8" woofers on the bottom, and a BG NEO 10 midrange and Linaeum tweeter on the top. I do use a powered 12" servo sub along with them, tho. Iā€™m making another set of speakers to enter in this yearā€™s speaker building contest. May not be done in time.

Thanx for writing.

Mongo

stonefree1911

June 25

Mongo:
JP Stacks

That;s an interesting position for your sub.

Itā€™s interesting; no shade on the Analysis owners here, but whenever Iā€™ve heard them at RMAF they were just missingā€¦ something as compared to Apogees.

I have never heard that Apogee magic from any other speaker until the Alsyvox Botticelli. They literally had every bit of magic the Apogees ever had plus actual dynamics.

However, I canā€™t honestly say whether they can handle things like the heartbeats at the beginning of Dark Side of the Moonā€™s Speak to Me without running out of extension; I can do that to my Apogee Caliper Signature (generating a nasty ā€œthwackā€) with even a 150 wpc amp.

If it werenā€™t for that, I would have already done more to acquire a pair.

There may be better or more accurate speakers out there, but the Apogees and the Alsyvox speakers have a certain magic to them that is palpable and inescapable if itā€™s what touches you.

What eventually caused me to replace my Caliper Signatures as my mains is there were certain defects they had that I would hear on certain tracks, causing me to wince when I played themā€¦ and thatā€™s not what you want from any speaker, especially when those tracks are songs you love (which they were.)

In particular, there were two Carpenterā€™s songs that could make the Apogee ribbons sound like a wax paper over a comb kazoo. On a visit to Rich Murry at his house, I surprisingly found I could make the Divas do the same thing on the same track, but not the Duetta Signatures or the Full Ranges so itā€™s obviously an inherent harmonic of some type.

Spending $87K to find the Alsyvox Botticellis do the same is not my idea of a good time. :smile:

@billk any idea if your 150W amp may have been clipping and that caused the ā€œthwackā€? Any speaker gets very unhappy with a DC input.

I know my Sanders electrostats require loads of power to remain fully in control without clipping. The Sanders Magtech amps are rated at 900W into 4 ohms (and a bit higher into 2 ohms). These play plenty loud for me with great dynamics. The 10" TL woofer generates loads of high quality, well-integrated bass too.

Do you find that 10" subs work best for your speakers? Iā€™ve heard the smaller, faster subs work better with Planar/ribbon speakers. Iā€™m about to get a pair of Maggie LRSā€™s (a bit lower end than your Sandersā€¦) and I am thinking of going with 2 10" REL subs as they are quicker. Iā€™m not a bass freak so it should be more than enuf bass.

@stonefree1911 Iā€™m not using subs at all. The Sanders 10e system uses an integral 10" TL (transmission line) woofer in each cabinet.

Iā€™ve read lots of recommendations for subs on this forum, but worry about seamless integration with my well-engineered speaker system. Donā€™t notice any lack of bass with the standard setup.

See photo below:

2 Likes

@stonefree1911. Trust @Paul and his Rel recommendations . The Rels will be able to keep up with and integrate with the Maggieā€™s. I have a 2 Rel sub and Maggie combo and I am very happy with the set up. Your room size is a big determinating factor on the size of the subs.

1 Like