Planar Magnetic Loudspeaker Aficionados!

Yes. Congrats. I have had 1.7’s for 5 years and have mated them with all PSA gear. They get better with every upgrade which skews the common investment curve. Good placement, good power, and your wallet is all you need.

1 Like

Thanks @euphonite and @straightwire!

Still looking for best placement, but close to the proper one. Claudio Arrau is playing in front of me right now (almost!)

Magnepans are superb at reproducing the percussive attack of a piano. I’m glad you are enjoying this aspect of what they do. :slight_smile:

1 Like

One thing that’s great about Maggie’s are they are easy to move around…luckily because you’ll be moving them a lot😂.
I really enjoy mine. I think of them as “acoustic lenses” as you have to be so precise with focus. That and whatever you do to focus the front sound field, affects the rear sound field on the bipolar panels which affects perceived imaging and depth and soundstage.

Congrats!

1 Like

Certainly, i’m doing it a lot! :joy:

1 Like

They’re trully amazing, i’ll like to hear the big ones, but these ‘little’ Maggies are perfect for my room size.

Kind regards.

The bigger ones are better at reproducing dynamics and bass, both of which are Magnepan weaknesses. Even the big ones compress large dynamics and are unable to reproduce the bass energy of rock, etc.

But they are absolutely superb at what the do. Wonderful speakers.

I agree with your assessment … however, just to temper that a bit… My MG 2.5Rs and then my big MG 20s both were fine with rock and pop. True, they didn’t have that punch and slam… but they do so much so well I didn’t care. Now I have a set of Focals that do rock and they are much more fun no doubt. But if I had the choice, I never would have sold those Magnepans. Life situation drove that one. But even with those weaknesses, I never enjoyed speakers and listening to music more… rock or whatever.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

You all have greatly impressed me, when I get a chance to listen to the Magnepans, the first album will be piano music. Please recommend a second album.
Chas

Try anything with brass instruments and then acoustic guitar.

They are excellent with anything with a small acoustic ensemble. They are not their best with dense large orchestral music, especially with significant dynamic contrasts. They do not do slam at all.

IMO as you move up the model numbers the dynamic contrasts improve dramatically along with slam. I’ve heard the entire lineup. I really like my 20.7’s but the dynamics of the 30.7’s and bass depth were on another level.

foley, try listening to Aaron Neville’s tune “It Feels Like Rain” from the Warm Your Heart album.

I agree. As a fellow 20.7 owner - they were the speaker that drew me to orchestral. I find them dynamic and real. unfortunately they are difficult to find and hear.

1 Like

They do get better with size.

Yah. I think it’s a physics thing. Things w mags is you need a good room, an appropriate amp and if one of those is missing. What does it impact.? Bass and dynamics for the most part. So it’s not an easy path but a rewarding one. IMHO

Maggies also excel at vocals and acoustic guitar. For vocals the only type of speaker I have heard that matches them is electrostats like Martin Logan. Violin, guitar male and female vocals and jazz are awesome on the Maggies. I recommend subs with the smaller ones though if that low bass is important to you.

I would like to ask you about speaker cable. I have a wonderful pair of Kimber KS3035 with my Avalon Opus Ceramique, and i’m using it for now but i need another cable for the Maggies. Which one do you recommend me? Someone told in a previous post about QED xt40

I am using MIT Shotgun S3 for my Maggies. Works great so far!
Sully

Found it!

@stevensegal, do you still have the cable? What do you think about it?

Thanks in advance.