Playing DSD files

As far as I know native DSD and USB don’t work, it has to be converted to DOP.

I don’t think that is true, otherwise how do people send dsd to the matrix that only has usb in

1 Like

Yes, balanced!!
I ended up switching the Cardas and Audioquest cables.
Have the Cardas Parsec (balanced) from the Panasonic everything except SACD to the BHK Preamp
and the Audioquest Red River (balanced) between the BHK Pre and the M1200’s

I thought of that Panasonic player for home theater. I use the Oppo for scaling on my projector with the anamorphic lens and occasional SACD transport. If the Panasonic did the anamorphic squeeze I’d probably sell the Oppo and buy a PST and the Panasonic.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I think bearing all that in mind, and my desire to use a disc player or streamer box rather than a pc, I’m going to look out for an SACD player that can play DSD files. I believe Denon did one for approx £1k. (It can play DSD files from dvdr).

1 Like

If you ever do get the Panasonic, my suggestion would be to never get rid of the Oppo.

It’s a fantastic device. It’s like a Swiss Army knife for me. It works as a SACD transport, video switch, Anamorphic scaler, 4K blue ray player, and at one time my Roon end point! A fantastic machine!

1 Like

I am using USB and native DSD256……so what you are saying is incorrect!

Hi invalid,

Universal Serial Bus (USB) is a type of communication standard if you like. DSD is a digital audio encoding standard. USB is a conduit through which devices can exchange digital information. In typical computer environments you’re correct but only because devices typically don’t know how to process DSD. Most audio devices know how to process PCM because it was the standard originally adopted by computer manufacturers. DSD was developed well after PCM and, maybe because of its low usage uptake, wasn’t considered important enough to ‘build in’ to general-purpose PCs and OSs. So, as the market currently stands, you need to ‘add on’ support for handling DSD. USB is agnostic when it comes to what digital information it transfers. Provided you obey the standard, you are free to use it as you wish.

So DSD can can be sent over USB without using some form of PCM wrapper.

1 Like

Yes…

2 Likes

My USB flash drive became corrupted. The only option with that drive is to format and start transferring all over again.

The computer I am using has usb 2.0 only, so is going to take a while.

This is the 2nd time it has become corrupted. Time for a better quality flash drive.

Used to…

I have asked that they consider returning to this practice.

So far; no dice.

:smiling_face_with_tear:

[Edit: Apologies for the “old reply”.]

1 Like

I use SSD cards instead of thumb drives. I like Samsung T7. You do need a a/c USB cable, and it comes with T7.

2 Likes

I love my T7s. I have a few. Gotta try the new T9 I suppose.

1 Like