Playing HD without Hiccups & Ticks

The aforementioned Keith Greeninger songs at 2xDSD are between 300 and 500 megabytes, and the songs last 3.5 to 5.5 minutes.

gordon said One could always purchase 2x DSD files and make a second copy in 1x for Bridge2 streaming.
What software is available that can downsample DSD files? I googled but couldn't find anything.

Weiss makes the Saracon if you want to go pro and possibly best sound. [ I know “bits are bits”, unless you are human, that is]

The Korg “Audiogate” [now requires their hardware.]

http://www.audioease.com/Pages/BarbaBatch/

http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/samplemanager/

Thank you Gordon. I did know about Korg but I don’t own any of their hardware. I mainly use Windows, but I do have access to a slightly old Mac so I could use Sample Manager. Anybody know of Windows programs?

Edit: I just spent some time on the web sites for Sample Manager and BarbaBatch. Unless I am overlooking something, neither one supports DSD.

And how about Flac?

Conversion should be possible stil is Mac cannot play them (or is it an encoder install problem rather than a decoder issue)?

Frode said And how about Flac?

Conversion should be possible stil is Mac cannot play them (or is it an encoder install problem rather than a decoder issue)?

I think that theoretically DoP can be converted to FLAC and back to DoP. But don’t think any software is doing this.

From what @Elk post I can see DSD files are small than PCM equivalent, is that correct? If this is correct then FLAC DoP is not good and we need a new compression codec specific to DSD to save some aditional space in hard drive.

And if DSD are small then suport of native DSD in bridge II will work better than DoP.

Ok,

My point was that a Batch converter that cannot convert flac won’t do anything good for a library consisting of 90% flac files (like mine), independent of DSD output or not.

Not sure if it also up/down samples but worth a look at the free lite version.

http://www.hfx.at/store/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=11&flypage=flypage.tp-ecommerce.tpl&product_id=228&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54

Paul McGowan said It should, yes.
Paul any updates on the status of the beta bridges?

magiknow

I don’t have one right now, we’re still waiting for the CM to finish and he’s waiting for us to deliver the testing procedures which I believe Dave is working on.

Hi,

Just to give my feedback on the Bridge within the DS (an updated PW Mk2…)

It plays flawlessly all the tracks I fed it with…

My config. :

- I have an Asustor Nas hosting my music library and "exposed" on UPNP with Minimserver

- I have a std network on a DSL / Router setup (gigabit speed but the bridge is at 100M max...), with dedicated IP adress

- I drive the music from the Library to the DS/Bridge with my smartphone runing Bubble UPNP wich I found being the best app (I also use it for video, from the same Nas with Plex Media server)

From AIFF to Hires PCM or DSD, no issue.

I just found :

1. response time is a little too slow.

2. on the bridge, renaming the DAC on the panel is tricky (a bug ? ), I had to try several time

Best regards,

François

I have similar set up but use mconnectHD app which works fine but don’t like some features, is Bubble an android app, I would need iOS.

Yes its for Android…

On Ios have a look at Linn Kinsky (It works with the bidge/ds, I tried it on Ipad / Android), or PlugPlayer (haven’t try though)

I have an Ipad but prefer my Android + Bubble Upnp.

A can also stream radios from tunein Radio, or plays local files.

François

I installed the Kinsey app, can start playing ok but no way it seems to stop, pause, change to a different album; that part of the app does not seem to work, maybe an iOS 8 problem ?

Francois said

2) on the bridge, renaming the DAC on the panel is tricky (a bug ? ), I had to try several time

I had the same problem; the solution was to rename the Bridge via the web page. The front panel would only accept a couple of characters, while the web page worked fine.
rogerdn said I installed the Kinsey app, can start playing ok but no way it seems to stop, pause, change to a different album; that part of the app does not seem to work, maybe an iOS 8 problem ?
I have read that current versions of Kinsky only work properly with renderers that support the Linn extensions (OpenHome, I think they are called). This didn't use to be a problem -- Kinsky was my second choice as a control point for a long time, after eLyric.
magister said
Francois said

2) on the bridge, renaming the DAC on the panel is tricky (a bug ? ), I had to try several time

I had the same problem; the solution was to rename the Bridge via the web page. The front panel would only accept a couple of characters, while the web page worked fine.

Thx; I just find out the webpage…; Indeed, simpler access…

rogerdn said I installed the Kinsey app, can start playing ok but no way it seems to stop, pause, change to a different album; that part of the app does not seem to work, maybe an iOS 8 problem ?
Ok, I'll try on my Ipad the last version. Also to be tested their last app (Ios only...) "KZOO".

I’ll report later on those tests.

Regards.

François

adimon said Ok thx amsco,

Maybe someone else can respond on this (Paul or Ted).

I checked my network setup several times using different switches (100Mb, 1Gb HPpro) different routers (Apple Air,Dlink).

Create a dedicated test setup with only connected the DS, router, switch and NAS (all wired with UTP cat5e).

I can stream all formats except the HD 192/24 flac files without hiccups or ticks.

(Converted to AIFF is a lot better.)

Hi,

Did those hiccups or ticks occurred when your NAS was loaded with another task ?

On playng the bigest files (DFF dsd64 1.8Gb, full album…), it have happen while someone else was streaming a video from the Nas (Plex server)

The ressources on the Nas might have been reaching a peak or so.

Note that to start such a big file, I have to wait 15s or so before the sound comes out…(be patient !)

Event though I have a recent / decent NAs (atom dual core / 1Gb ram, 2*3Tb WDRed disks) , I think there is correlation; You might considered / checked it on your configuration.

Regards,

François

Also note that the typical transfer rate of a NAS is limited to in excess of 50Mb/s.