POLL: Do you care about measurements?

I weigh more than each of my speakers.

2 Likes

Sure I do: 36, 24, 36.

4 Likes

I don’t weigh more than my single speaker, thank God. But “some settling of contents may have occurred during shipping and handling”. That’s a bored kid looking at the fine print on the cereal box.

5 Likes

A lot of folks here seem to not differentiate between specifications and measurements.

9 Likes

Hello John ,
We are in complete agreement.
The rifle twist analogy was as if it “measured” 4.0000000 twists per foot exactly per specification but wasn’t straight (as if straightness wasn’t one of the “measurements”).
It’s kind of a Michigan Hillbilly (which I am) comparison but that’s as simple I could make it.
Or maybe like trying on 6 different pairs of size 10 shoes and only one pair fits. They are all “in spec” but only one will work.
Seeing as every single person has a different set of ears to collect sound and a different brain to process it no wonder there are so many discussions about “what’s best”. If it sounds good to you then it is good regardless of any hash involving measurements.
Where in Texas are you?
Thanks
Vern

That’s a new one for this Midwestern native (Hoosier from Indiana).

I wonder if it means the same thing?

:slight_smile:

The dictionary definition of a Hillbilly used to be defined as a Michigan dirt farmer.

I’m not sure if it is still used in that context due to the current “everyone gets a trophy” mindset.

“Etymologically speaking”, Hoosier’s origin is tough to definitively trace - kind of like the argument over which Asian civilization invented Kimchi (Korean or Chinese in origin?).

Personally, I prefer “uncouth countrymen” - which is at least one rung below “Michigan Dirt Farmer”, I would imagine.

1 Like

I just love the middle Indiana girls accent.
My great aunt was from West Lafayette and I still remember her accent and every time I hear it today it reminds me of her.

1 Like

Howdy Vern & thanks!
We are about 50 miles northwest of Austin, not far from both Willie’s home (Spicewood) or Chester Nimitz’s hometown, Fredericksburg. Plenty of Hill Billies here!!:grin:. How bout you…. We only know the area between Traverse City & Mackinac Islans.

John

2 Likes

Looking back at technical reports (reviews) in Gramophone from the early 1980s and further back in time, one of the main roles of the reviewer was to measure the equipment under test and report on whether the measurements matched the manufacturer’s specifications. People generally understood what the specifications meant and wanted to know if they were correct. These reviewers were trained engineers, the main guy at Gramophone was a university lecturer and one of the leading recording engineers of his generation.

There might, for example, have been 20 amplifiers rated at 25w, and it really mattered whether for any one of them that claim was correct, just like your shoe example.

Nowadays people shout that their amplifier is rated at 500w and tries to impress upon people why that is important, when in reality it isn’t, and so specifications just become marketing tools.

1 Like

Northern Lower Michigan and all of the U.P. are really nice areas to visit although winters in the U.P can be brutal.
We live in South Haven which is maybe 3 hours south of Traverse. We have been all over the country and seen some pretty majestic places but we are very happy living here.
The cold winters help keep the riff-raff away for a few months and it never gets Texas hot here.
I have a good friend who lives in Dripping Springs which I think is pretty close to Austin. He likes it there so much that he wont even come back here to visit. :grin:

1 Like

Kind of like my Corvette that has 650 horsepower but only needs 10 or 15 to go the speed limit. But what fun would a 15 HP car be? :thinking:

3 Likes

If my brain was able to receive the same sound information as a piece of AP test equipment, I would be much more interested in measurements. Unfortunately, I have two low-pass filters on the side of my head that result in my brain and the AP “hearing” different information. What’s worse is the characteristics of my LPFs vary from day-to-day, time of day, room lighting, what I’m drinking, etc. All this is to say that I put more significance on what my brain hears that what the AP does.

5 Likes

I rarely drive over 20mph, our primary urban speed limit, so I’m glad I don’t have a Corvette. Must be no fun at all trying to drive one under 20 mph, probably quite frustrating.

I’ve heard of people who just sit in their sports cars in the garage, basking in the glory. A bit like staring at your hifi without switching it on. I suppose some people do that.

We buy cars based on specifications for how we use them, so an electric car and one that can take 5 adults at 80mph at minimal cost. If I bought for bling, I might have different cars, vastly more expensive, which would perform no better and probably worse. Same applies for hifi.

1 Like

The Z06 Corvette is a piece of modern engineering marvel.
It will go 200 MPH just as easily as it goes 20 MPH.
At 80 MPH on the highway it gets 30 MPG .
We have a lot more room here than in the EU so long distance driving is a normal kind of thing. We usually measure distance in hours of travel time not miles or km.

2 Likes

In Europe we by time as well. 860 miles was from close to the Mediterranean in Italy to London, UK and about 90% was done on cruise control at the 130kph speed limit.

Hifi and cars are often bought as objects of desire, but they can just as well be bought on measurements. People are free to spend as they wish, but measurements is the only real way to get a desired performance level at the least cost. That’s how I buy cars, not so much hifi.

FWIW the electric car does the equivalent about 125mpg in power cost, but in London the daily charge and parking charges for petrol cars cost lot more than the petrol. Going to Covent Garden tonight, by public transport, in 2 weeks I hit 60 and get a free travel pass for the rest of my life!

1 Like

Two different cars can have the same performance measurements and the way they drive can be totally different.

6 Likes

And if you factor in the skills of the driver, the gap could get wider! :grin:

Not all that far from the Homestead (Chesterton, IN) where I spent my more formative years.

Coincidentally, my wife and I just arrived in Chesterton. We are in town for an extended visit with my parents.

Cheers.

1 Like