POLL: Which is the Best-Sounding DS Sr. Operating System?

The chart above explains it all, and across ALL audio circuit frequencies.

The dielectric constant changes the capacitance, and thus the time based circuit characteristics.

Inductance is inversely tied to the capacitance, it goes the opposite way when changes are made to

the dielectric. The SPEED of the signal is 1/SQRT (dielectric constant), and is FREQUENCY dependent.

What does that mean? It means we can’t get everything to move along in phase from one end of a

circuit to the other at audio. Pretending that this doesn’t matter evades me. Every step in the chain

alters arrival times through the audio frequency band.

I’m not sure how we all want to evade the issue and that audio circuits are a marvel given the raw deal we get

in this part of the electromagnetic spectrum. This isn’t postulating or theory, we KNOW this is an issue.

Someone said we are great at measuring, but really poor at mapping those values to what we hear.

I’m in agreement with that or we would be closer to common ground than we are. What we hear on Snowmass is

emphasizing the point. Do we think that the change in signal amplitude, and NOT phase / signal

arrival times is not what we hear? We can’t hear PHASE at audio?

Galen

Sorry but these effects in cables are almost entirely negligible compared to the monumental difference between a minimum phase and linear phase filter. Differences are orders of magnitude.

Phase response of speaker crossover and drivers is also much more significant than ordinary bits of wire.

Just trying to keep things in perspective. For sure everything can make a difference but some things are negligible compared to others.

This does not line up with my experience of listening to differing MP vs. LP and decent speaker cables vs. Iconoclast but if it does for you great, you just saved yourself some coin.

To my ears, I experience just the opposite relationship, cables made perhaps an order of magnitude difference and different types of filters, meh, probably depended on the track or the recording more than anything else.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Poll: MQA or not preference based on listening experience

I have no comment on what other folks hear. Like you I can only refer to what I hear. That said my comment about phase is a comment more on the physics. If you hear massive differences with cables but little change from MP to LP filters then something else other than phase probably would need to explain that. Phase changes in audio frequencies with typical length audio cables is simply much smaller than other factors affecting phase.

No need to apologize! Yes, there are bigger fish to fry, but the smaller ones need to be properly understood and addressed, too.

The ear doesn’t do approximations. Every error in timing is heard collectively. It is what it was designed to do. Far from monumental changes are needed to be heard. The REACTANCE of the cable to the speaker’s non linearities need to be understood, not JUST the bulk value at 1 KHz (where L and C are measured). And yes, it will be totally different for every amp, cable and speaker.

First order filter effects are WAY above audio range for the filter phase change you are refereeing to. But, the INDUCTANCE caused by the chosen capacitance is active within the audio range, so good efforts should be made to minimize it. I trade super low cap for better / lower inductance…so I actually agree with you, some attributes are better left alone to capture more significant ones.

You are also in good company to say, “I feel it makes no difference”. That’s fine too, but thank goodness people who lay out PC boards, and make cables don’t think it is good enough because you technically want the best wrong answer you can afford! You can’t get it 100% right, but you can indeed get it better. Audio is death by a thousand cuts as each and every “good enough” approximation get less and less good through the circuit. Phase doesn’t stop changing but keeps getting more and more inaccurate. Reactive effects, especially speaker cables, doesn’t stop signal transfer non linearity across the audio frequency range into reactive low impedance loads.

You can accurately argue cable reactance is less important in interconnects as they see a near “zero” current load, negating their “impedance” and thus look like a simple lump reactive value. But that inductive value alters phase, too. And, the current coherence through the wire alters arrival times. Trust me (no don’t do that) I’m well aware of how “insignificant” it all is with cable. I have thirty plus patents on cable that was “good enough”, and now we have cheaper, better cables than before.

I certainly understand that ANY variable taken by itself is “good enough”, but ignore those approximations and inaccuracies and better methods to manage non linearities will be developed. Ted looks at DAC’s, I looked at cables, Paul looks at other hardware but EVERY bit/byte and nibble of accuracy counts in my book. It is what we do for you, the customer.

I agree COST is a factor. If zero R, L and C products could be made we’d certainly use them…UNLESS the cost of our project runs out once they re considered in or pecking order of improvement. But, should the improvement not be offered for those that can reach it within their budget? If the improvements are REAL, of course, and measured so you know the technology that derive the changes?

The cables, and even Ted’s DAC technology exist BECAUSE we decided that “good enough” is not the road to better. That seemingly unimportant changes DO make a difference. What was “significantly” changed in the new firmware? Stuff someone not in the know outside of “numbers” would say, “doesn’t matter”? Snowmass was tuck and cut micro surgery to an already measurably (Stereophile) “good enough” standard yet, Ted just made it better right after it was deemed “good enough”.

As long as technology is REAL, and heads in the right direction, THAT is better. Costs will catch-up to the advances but we need to develop the process cost advances to do it…so it cost more early in the process.

People who make legitimately good products have no issue explaining the technology, to offer FREE trials, and to see where you are in the chain of improvement for your dollar spent. We REQUIRE that it really does make an improvement, hoping you think it does isn’t “good enough”.

Back on topic, Snowmass is FREE and YES it is HUGELY better in my judgement so do upgrade from what was “negligible” on a scope, and enjoy!

Thank goodness Ted thinks in BETTER, BETTER, BETTER and not “negligible” and “good enough”.

Galen

3 Likes

This. I am getting less and less inclined to get back into vinyl. Why? Combine my tube preamp and tube amp with my DirectStream DAC running Snowmass and I don’t hear any of digital harshness that made me miss vinyl enough to contemplate dealing with the hassle and expense.

4 Likes

As you do, Galen.

We are lucky to have both of you as designers in this hobby.

Wow. I crossed into the twilight zone here. I better be careful as normal physics doesn’t apply here.

Standard Newtonian physics runs rampant here.

Choosing the correct model and mindset is however critical.

I’m interested in your thoughts on current mode vs voltage mode with respect to interconnect cable choices.

May I ask WHERE normal physics aren’t directly responsible for the changes in measured values in ICONOCLAST cable? I will agree that to evaluate the improvements of lower reactance and better current coherence with frequency, you do have to use them as sound quality can’t be put into words. Would you buy cables that are WORSE, on purpose, at the same price as better cables because we fear the twilight zone ? Is saying the twilight zone meaning too good is all of a sudden unacceptable? Lower reactance always means better signal transfer. That isn’t the twilight zone, not seeing the physics there is the twilight zone.

Before you say it isn’t applicable, TRY THE CABLES.

I’m curious when all the data shows real improvements, we still retreat back to the “twilight zone”. You won’t find me there. These cable’s are being made because they make a difference, and have improved as REAL measurable changes have been DESIGNED into them electromagnetically.

ELK,

Well, we forget that the electromagnetic field we see in the Newtonian world is a superposition of (large number here) fields generated in the QUANTUM world. We don’t even understand these fields, really, and even less in the QUANTUM world where the atoms actually MOVE to generate that photon that superimposes to eventually create the fields we manage in cables.

Does the electron really go straight down the wire at a quantum level? Are the photons shot off ninety degrees to the direction of travel of the electron’s movement? Superposition is indeed a VECTOR math issue, so yes, this matters to the final waveform. No one knows for sure as we can’t see the transition from quantum to Newtonian. But, being aware that there is stuff we can’t map out surely has to influence our dependence on what we use everyday.

I like to feel that WIRE effects are quantum sourced. But, I IGNORE this attribute as I have no repeatable scientific method to DEFINE a real CHANGE accurately. So, we offer the wire choices but make zero claims of electromagnetic measurable changes (they are the same). Price passes through. The sound does change, and I hate to admit that.

Galen

I’m not a fan of current mode for the same reason current mode speaker cables are intractably harder to predict, situation to situation, than voltage mode interconnects. We have to have speaker cable’s, though. One argument for all-in-one speakers is the amps can be way better designed to drive the load. BI and tri amps also removes a variation in the load as X-overs are terrible to drive.

A voltage mode RCA or XLR is terminated into “infinity”…as an approximation. To avoid the twilight zone, we use 47-K ohms or higher as infinity. Since the value is so high, the cable appears to be a bulk L and C network with essentially zero current, in a first approximation theory. The amplifiers that send the signal on their way into the cables have to drive a reactive cable with the capacitance being a problem. Capacitors will take a surge of current to CHARGE and then the current drops to zero. Well, capacitors leak but near we get to near zero current. Some low quality driver amplifiers can’t manage the current spikes to CHARGE up the cable. Remember, the end resistor is imitating an “open” so we have little sustained current flow in a RCA or XLR cable once the reactance is charged. The bulk capacitance value is the culprit here. The inductance is more PHASE related through the audio band, so each has an issue, and need to be kept pretty low for different reasons. Interconnects are more consistent, and to my way of thinking, SHOULD be as the LOAD is always near the same “very high”. Knowing the load allows a better guess as to how the cable will perform. Better, because the cable’s dielectric properties still aren’t stable at audio. Thus, the cable’s impedance is dynamic with frequency at audio, but at least the LOAD stays still.

Speaker cable, or current mode, see the opposite; a super high level of current, but low voltages. E=l*R but R is really low, voltage is driven with current. Worse, the driven low resistance speaker LOAD is reactively dynamic with frequency and the speaker cable, both. We never really know what impedance the cable will be, or the speaker load at any given frequency between set-ups. This is why speaker cables are not as consistent as interconnect RCA and XLR cables. To make speaker cables better, we try to limit phase (inductance), their resistance (make the cable’s load seem invisible to voltage drop) and their current coherence (adjust wire size to better force equal current flow with frequency).

The problems in both cables is stuff just doesn’t stay the same through audio. Audio cable isn’t a transmission line by any means, but the cable’s reactive uniformity and the LOAD reactance does influence the linearity of signal transfer. That’s not the twilight zone, but yes, some set-ups will be much better than others with differing speaker cable loads…and thus the changes you may or may not hear. Try before you buy.

I have no problem with the small measured L C and R differences with appropriate speaker cables. Relative to other factors it just isn’t worth worrying about. I guess I am saying you can’t selectively worry about minute speaker cable differences and their effect on phase without addressing the other factors that have relatively huge effects on phase.

Like:

Speaker crossover. Speaker impedance and phase (low impedance speaker with wild impedance swings are best avoided). Phase distortion from minimum phase filters.

So other factors dwarf what is apparently of concern in ordinary speaker wire. Those concerned with speaker cables really should take a harder look at other factors first. Appropriately designed speakers with amplifiers for each driver and with no passive crossover, for example.

The physics enters the twighlight zone in the sense that minute differences are regarded as important in one context (cables) but apparently it is acceptable to ignore much larger differences elsewhere. If physics applies then it should apply evenly and proportionally.

The DS Sr has a passive output transformer which is going to introduce phase distortion at both low and high frequencies. Should we be worried about it too? I bet most folks love their DS Sr and aren’t at all concerned with the small amounts of distortion this adds.

1 Like

Excellent point.

We experience and see the world as Newtonian even though the actual factors are quantum. We need the ability to shrink so that we can take a direct look at the quantum world. :slight_smile:

I 100% agree with that. But, cable DO INDEED make a difference. I ignored cable for 35 years, until I decided to go into a dark place and make my own with ZERO outside influences on what should work (I skipped the twilight zone stuff). In the end I have some well made, to REAL measurable variables, cable that did indeed improve the sound. Thus, we have them trial.

For some reason, if you concentrate on an area you CAN make a difference in, you are automatically shunned in the other area’s that are also important? I don’t think anyone is avoiding properly assigning impact on the signal(s), but I happen to be able to improve cables. There are those that have addressed the other major areas, and one’s I’ve pointed out even, to feel cable isn’t to be further ignored…and actually USE THEM and listen.

I’m on the purist side of things here, which I agree is odd, but if I can’t confirm a change with measured values or industry accepted calculation, I don’t do it. True, cable is NOT the major influencer in the chain, but it is an influencer. Never said otherwise. What I WILL say, is it isn’t “transparent” in the chain. The next step is to get really good cables priced to where smaller changes are economically valid to improve, too.

Improvements will always be an argument of COST to benefit. Everyone will draw the line differently even on a properly weighed scale of actual improvements (no twilight stuff need apply). I can prove EVERY change and improvement, and have for all to evaluate as to the possible benefit. I don’t know what more a vendor can do for the customer than that. I’m as tired of twilight zone stuff as you are…and this is exactly why ICONOCLAST exists at all, it works based on real physics.

1 Like

I’m currently using some good quality, inexpensive speaker cable while I wait for my reterminated “high end” cables to return. The difference in sound is dramatic, not trivial, not minor, not at all difficult for me or even my non-audiophile fiance to hear and really appreciate; in fact, she did ask: "Oh, what’s wrong with ‘your girlfriend’? (She teases me about my system being “my girlfriend”.
I believe that cables can make as big a difference as a component.

1 Like

ps—I guess this should all be in the cable section…

…girlfriend, that’s funny. My wife calls my stereo a very demanding girlfriend!

1 Like