Popping sound related to Directstream Junior?

Same as markus46. I use the usb input for dsd files to avoid those annoying ticks.

Also, I downloaded the latest Roon update a few days ago, and since then, artwork and elapsed track time on bridge 2 stopped working.

SQ, however, remains superb with Redcloud !

PS: power cycling the DS solved the artwork and elapsed time issues.

But ticks remain on dsd tracks with Roon through Bridge 2 (volume on the DS is 90, attenuator on).

The pops and noise during (Roon) volume control are causing a reducing perception of value. I think it is important for PS Audio to fix this.

Cable-guy said

The pops and noise during (Roon) volume control are causing a reducing perception of value. I think it is important for PS Audio to fix this.

I agree.

Tendency to go to oppo BLu-ray player to play DSD files ;(.

Hope PSA will soon find a fix

Thanks guys, we’ll get someone on it.

I am sure you will Paul. So far I am very impressed by your customer focus!

Mmm. Not so sure ps audio really considers the dsd bug a real concern. Ted admiited the bug on January 1, and several people, among me, reported it weeks earlier.

berlin

I have DS Senior with Red Cloud + Bridge 3.5.1 If I have setting on JRiver above 89% then DSD playback sounds like a gueger counter going off at full tilt. incidently my Bridge did not show an update available until I removed the image store memory card from the back first.

when I was using Huron all was good

Just an update, very odd, the issues above was discovered when I was trying Wi-fi from my pc to router as an experiment - I don’t often play DSD. I decided it was inferior so swapped back to wired. Now 95% of DSD pops have gone. There was never a problem with pcm, only DSD. Any explanations?

There are (at least) two separate issues being discussed: DSD on the Bridge (Roon, etc.) vs. a FPGA bug with high level signals (on any input). The first is a bridge software issue and I don’t know the state of that, except an update since the one that came with Redcloud helped. The second is the problem that’s output signal level related (so changing the volume setting will change it’s character) and only shows up when the output signal level is near the limits - since DSD can (temporarily) reach higher than PCM by about 4dB many users only run into the problem with DSD, but it’s not actually related to DSD per se.

markus46 said

+1

DS Snr. Latest BridgeII firmware. Redcloud. Vol 80. Roon.

I’d describe the sound as a tick. DSD only. Flac is fine.

The same. Whatever volume set the pops remain. And, you know, it’s annoying exactly in the low volume passages. :frowning:

Ted Smith said

There are (at least) two separate issues being discussed: DSD on the Bridge (Roon, etc.) vs. a FPGA bug with high level signals (on any input). The first is a bridge software issue and I don’t know the state of that, except an update since the one that came with Redcloud helped. The second is the problem that’s output signal level related (so changing the volume setting will change it’s character) and only shows up when the output signal level is near the limits - since DSD can (temporarily) reach higher than PCM by about 4dB many users only run into the problem with DSD, but it’s not actually related to DSD per se.

Sorry Ted, but I've got the same problem connecting it to my BHK either directly, with the volume set as low as 60%, or passing through a preamp so that the DSD is at full volume. BTW, I'm using the DSD Snr, not Jr.

I should have been clearer earlier in the thread: the FPGA/high level problem is a DS Sr only problem.

jomal:

Tho you said you have the exact same problem we don’t know which problem you have. A tick between DSD tracks is a problem in the source, but I’ve tried to lower it in the last two releases. I’ve killed a few pops between tracks for some people, but there can’t be a perfect solution for this.

Since you have the problem independently of the DS volume setting it’s not Redcloud per se, tho if you are using the bridge it could be a bridge or Roon problem. There are people talking about those on various threads, but I don’t know the current state of any of those issues, perhaps someone might say here.

Random ticks every once in a while can also be input cabling issues. If you have any spare cables (pretty or ugly) you might swap them in as a quick experiment.

You should contact PS Audio support.

Ok so if I understand correctly. The issue that when using Roon noises occur at volume control (mostly with DSD) and the soft plopping noises when changing format of songs (again mostly with DSD) are in the bridge.

So in this case PS Audio will have to ask the Korean company that manufactures the bridge to fix this?

Thanks

Playing DSD files, I still get pops during the song occasionally. Every time though when I change the volume whether 1 step or 20 quickly, I get a pop right after it changes. I can sit and click the volume up 1 step at a time and sure enough it always pops after each change.

With PCM, this rarely happens. It’s more static than a pop when changing volume.

This is using ROON.

Own a DSJr.

Dear PSaudio (Paul McGowan),

Are there any ideas where the popping sounds come from during playback of DSD files (Bridge II)? Is psaudio still investigating? And if so any progress?

Not been able to play DSD files (via Bridge (DSJ)) for quite some time now ;(.

Thanks in advance

I am sure PS Audio is willing to solve the issue. However the bridge is build by a Korean company so we’ll have to wait and see what can be done. I am considering acquiring a separate bridge / streamer like the SOtM sMS-200 Ultra or the Sonore Ultra Rendu.
Does anybody have experience with this? According to the reviews, combined with a linear power supply these are the best streamers on the market. This will also allow streaming DXD. But what will be the effect on the volume control? The beauty of the DSJ is that Roon will use the excellent volume control. It is trust that the noises, especially with DSD, are minimizing the fun of this. Will the volume control still work with an external, USB connected streamer?

I don’t know if it matters to you, but you give up MQA if you don’t use the Bridge II card but you gain the ability to use DSD128. I had an ultraRendu with a Teddy Pardo LPS and it did not sound any better than the Bridge II card. If I were to get an external streamer again, it would be one that outputs I2S. Something like the Mano ULTRA…

I’m sure psaudio is willing , it’s just a bit frustrating ;).

I had the SOtM sMS-200 Ultra with a sbooster on trail and it sounded very nice but the difference between the Ultra and the Bridge II (DSJ) was to small to justify the cost.
Next step for me is, as speed-racer also mentioned, I2S. In about a week the Mano Ultra will be on trail ;).

https://www.magnahifi.com/en/webshop/product/mano-ulttra (is this allowed?)

Happy listening

Ps almost forgot, volume control will work (tested with SOtM sMS-200 Ultra and Allo USBridge)

@hanske

Please let me know how the Mano Ultra sounds to you.

I fear that Roon users will left out in the cold when the new “Bridge III” card comes out and active software development stops on the Bridge II card.

Heck, if I don’t care about MQA support, it’s quite likely I would get better sound quality by removing the Bridge II card from the DAC and using an I2S streamer. The Bridge II card is not likely electrically benign and probably contributes more noise to the internals of the DAC than an external streamer with isolated I2S output.