Power Plant 12 impressions - my first power regenerator

Several months ago, I got my first power regenerator, Power Plant 12 (P12), and wanted to share my impressions. Thank you James @jamesh for the help and advice throughout this journey!

For those who don’t want to read the details, the summary is… Loving it! Significant improvements in my system in all aspects of the sound and across the entire frequency range.

First, a little history so you know where I’m coming from in terms of power products. I started my audiophile journey with headphones, but didn’t get my first proper stereo system with speakers until 2008. I experimented with various power conditioners, starting with the simple Tripp Lite IsoBar 8 Ultra (in 2008), and then Furman Elite 15 Pfi (2011), APC S15 (2011), Torus Power RM 15 (2013), Running Springs Audio Elgar (2015), and now the PS Audio P12 (2022). Prior to the Elgar, I found that while many of the power conditioners I tried gave me a quieter background and increased soundstage size, they also decreased dynamics and made the treble too smooth (losing some of the sparkles and details). The Elgar did the least “damage” in terms of dynamics and sparkles. That is…until I got the P12 earlier this year.

The P12 created the quietest background I’ve ever heard, which I think led me to notice little details I’ve never heard before; the soundstage size increased in width, depth, and height; imaging became more precise with a more focused center image; the bass became deeper, more detailed, with more refined textures; the midrange was extra smooth without losing details, but actually increased details where I can better hear more subtleties in artists’ voices; the treble was smoother and sparkly without sounding edgy or grainy.

When I first listened (less than 5 hours plugged in), the first thing that jumped out to me was the center image (e.g., vocals) and soundstage size. Prior to installing the P12, I had to use a higher volume to get a large soundstage, but then the size of the vocals became too big. With the P12, I can listen at a lower volume and the vocals snap into focus at the proper size and the soundstage is big. With more listening, I started to notice the quieter background and increased details. As the burn-in continues, everything became more refined. I started to notice the deeper, more textured bass and the other things I mentioned above across the rest of the frequency range. Overall, the P12 increased dynamics, details, transparency, without any negative effects such as grainy midrange or edgy and fatiguing treble.

I’m absolutely in love with the P12 in my system, and I find that I enjoy listening to music more. I think that’s the most important thing in this hobby, to find the right combination of components that lets you enjoy the music more.

A bit about my environment and system. I live in a large apartment complex with 300 units, and my building has 12 units. According to the meters on the P12, my input voltage is between 119V to 122V and THD between 1.3% to 1.6% throughout the day. My system includes:

• Dynaudio Contour S3.4 speakers
  • Octave V70SE tube integrated amp with Black Box upgrade
  • Aurender N100C
  • Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 USB converter
  • PS Audio Directstream Junior DAC
  • PS Audio Power Plant 12
  • Speaker cables, interconnects, and power cords are all Nordost Heimdall 2 and Frey 2
  • Stillpoints Ultra and Mini under all components

Here’s a photo of my system. The P12 looks so nice in the rack! The stealthy look is beautiful.

For the Stillpoints under the P12, after some experimentation, I put one under the transformer, middle of the back edge, and front left corner.

I initially had a bamboo board under the Stillpoints (like the other components on the rack), but found it the sound became a bit too bright for my preferences.

20 Likes

That is a great-looking set-up. The Power Plant also made a vast improvement to my system. You should plan to add a good power cord to it as the next upgrade, and you will be pleasantly surprised!

2 Likes

Nice system! Very clean look, I like!

1 Like

Thank you! It has been a nice journey getting to my current system.
I have the Nordost Frey 2 in the P12. I think the next level up would be out of my price range.

Thank you!
I do love a clean look. That’s goes for the rest of my home.

Looks like you already have a good cord so you are all set! Enjoy!

1 Like

Congratulations on the cable symmetry! :wink:

1 Like

That’s a great looking - and I bet sounding - system. Congratulations!
And thank you for sharing your results of the Power Plant.

1 Like

Very nice, very clean system! Bet it sounds great!
We have a few components in common, great minds and all of that…
X-SPDIF2
P-12
DSJ
I use a full loom of Heimdall 2 IC’s

Best,
-JP

1 Like

The other members of the community have stated well the look of your system but the photograph (?) in the style of Vermeer reinforces its classy/elegant appearance.

1 Like

Wow, excellent summation of your experience. A few months ago I got a Power Plant 8, and my impressions are very similar. Nice looking system also!

1 Like

Blockquote dchang05
Looks like you already have a good cord so you are all set! Enjoy!

Thanks! The addition of a P12, and yes the power cord too, made some very nice changes to the sound of my system.

Blockquote Craig_Burgess
Congratulations on the cable symmetry! :wink:

Thank you! It took a while to get all those Nordost cable. They are pricey! Initially I was afraid whether it will go well with PS Audio components, as I see a lot of people here use Audioquest cables. But it worked out.

Blockquote Philipp_Schaefer
That’s a great looking - and I bet sounding - system. Congratulations!
And thank you for sharing your results of the Power Plant.

Thank you! It sounds amazing. Well, at least for my preferences and budget. hahaha
It was my pleasure sharing these impressions. Hope it will also help someone who is deciding whether to get a Power Plant.

Blockquote john2213
Very nice, very clean system! Bet it sounds great!
We have a few components in common, great minds and all of that…
X-SPDIF2
P-12
DSJ
I use a full loom of Heimdall 2 IC’s

Awesome! And thank you! Yes…great minds and all :wink:

Blockquote joe-appierto
The other members of the community have stated well the look of your system but the photograph (?) in the style of Vermeer reinforces its classy/elegant appearance.

Thank you for noticing the photograph. It’s printed on canvas, to give that classic look. I’ve never though of it as a style of Vermeer. Excellent observation! Now I can’t stop thinking of it that way.
It’s by Iwona Podlasińska, a portrait photographer in Poland. I purchased it from her a few years ago. I love simple photos like that, and have a few others throughout my living room.

Blockquote softlight64
Thank you! That’s great! I’m glad your impressions matches mine. Did you write an impression here on the forum? I would like to read it if you did.

Your system looks so neat! Love the way you dress your speaker cables! I used to have the P12 and you know what made a remarkable improvement to the sound? I put in a SR Orange fuse and the sound was even more impressive! My brother did the same with his P12 and it cured some dullness in sound that he heard. Now he advanced his P12 to a whole new level with the new SR Purple fuse. No matter how clear your system sounds, the Purple fuse will make it even clearer without adding harshness. It might be worth a try if you haven’t done so already.

2 Likes

Thank you! The speaker cables are on Cardas wooden blocks.
I haven’t thought about upgrading the fuse. Thanks for the tip! I will look into it.

1 Like

I didn’t write my impressions here. I think your description was accurate. I’ll add that I was skeptical, but quickly changed my mind. I know about confirmation bias, but I don’t think that’s the reason I was impressed. I’m sure I was hearing real differences for the better.

1 Like