Problem with BHK Signature Preamp and BHK 250

My setup: DSJ --> BHK Signature Preamp --> BHK 250 (all plugged into P10)

Two things started happening a few weeks ago (possibly after Huron update?): the BHK Signature Preamp kept reverting down to 19 volume every time I turned it on and soft pops from speakers when changing the volume (don’t remember if both or right one only). I don’t remember this happening before Huron and I have no idea if there’s a connection. confused-28_gif

Today, I noticed a loud hum/buzz coming from the right speaker only. Then, when I tried to increase the volume from 19 to 20 on the BHK Signature Preamp, I heard a very loud pop from the right speaker only and the BHK 250 went into safe mode (blinking power button). crying_gif

I rebooted all components and checked all cables. Same thing happened again. I tried rebooting without the XLR cables between Preamp and BHK 250 and there was no loud hum/buzz from any speaker. Not sure if this helps in troubleshooting… Anyway…sad-029_gif

It was too late to call PSA today and I won’t get home until late tomorrow, so I’m wondering if there’s anything else I can do to troubleshoot?

Help please. pulling-hair_gif

You might try switching the right and left cables between the preamp and amp. If the problem is then in the left channel the problem is in the preamp (or upstream of the preamp, although I would suspect the preamp before the DSJ). Yo can also try switching tubes between right and left to see if a tube is the problem.

Sevilla said

My setup: DSJ → BHK Signature Preamp → BHK 250 (all plugged into P10)

Two things started happening a few weeks ago (possibly after Huron update?): the BHK Signature Preamp kept reverting down to 19 volume every time I turned it on and soft pops from speakers when changing the volume (don’t remember if both or right one only). I don’t remember this happening before Huron and I have no idea if there’s a connection.

Today, I noticed a loud hum/buzz coming from the right speaker only. Then, when I tried to increase the volume from 19 to 20 on the BHK Signature Preamp, I heard a very loud pop from the right speaker only and the BHK 250 went into safe mode (blinking power button).

I rebooted all components and checked all cables. Same thing happened again. I tried rebooting without the XLR cables between Preamp and BHK 250 and there was no loud hum/buzz from any speaker. Not sure if this helps in troubleshooting… Anyway…

It was too late to call PSA today and I won’t get home until late tomorrow, so I’m wondering if there’s anything else I can do to troubleshoot?

Help please.

Hello Sevilla,

Please contact me at service@psaudio.com. I want to make sure your BHK Pre and BHK 250 are up to date with the most current firmware and hardware upgrades.

We are here from 8:30 - 5PM MST and are keeping an eye out for your reply.

Thanks in advance,

• Jeremy
stevem2 said

You might try switching the right and left cables between the preamp and amp. If the problem is then in the left channel the problem is in the preamp (or upstream of the preamp, although I would suspect the preamp before the DSJ). Yo can also try switching tubes between right and left to see if a tube is the problem.

With nothing switched, the loud buzz/hum only comes from the right speaker (as I stated in my first post).

Following Stevem2 advice:

Switched right and left cables. Loud buzz/hum now coming from left speaker.

Put back left and right cables, then switched tubes in the preamp. Loud buzz/hum still comes from right speaker only.

Now I’m confused.

I will email Jeremy tonight and hopefully I get home in time tomorrow for a phone call to tech support.

Sounds like a problem with the preamp and not just the tubes. Bummer. Jeremy will get you sorted.

My BHK preamp has been acting up again. Now when I change volume or turn unit off or on I get a snap noise. Both speakers. If I go from 0 to 1 on the volume it’s rather loud. This never did this before. I swapped tubes just to check. Still no change. Nothing else in system changed. Love the preamp but it acts up a lot!

Uh oh. You may have some DC voltage getting through the preamp (should only be AC) The noise is when the isolation relay engages the circuit. But the big question is if the DC is coming from source, preamp, or amp. I’ll let Paul chime in here for help, as this is tough to do over the interwebs.

Best of luck.

Edit: I had that same problem once with my previous preamp, and it turns out it was my subwoofer that had suffered a power surge. Once I reset the subwoofer, all was fine again. Still, it was weird that I had to shut off the sub completely and then ‘reboot’ it.

–SSW

I did test the voltage from the XLR cables. I did get a max of 7 Millivolts. PSA seems to feel it maybe set up. I use BHK 250 and Spatial Audio M3 Turbo speakers. Speakers are 4 ohm, and Sensitivity: 94dB. But my past speakers were Def Tech Mythos ST-L at 8 ohm and Max Sensitivity (1 watt @ 1 meter)93 dB.

So off this info, I don’t think it is set up? But I am not engineer. The other day something odd happened when I was not home. I cam home to my right sub with constant feedback. The P5 that powers the BHK 250, DSD Dac, and BHK preamp was lit all red!. So unplugged everything. Then plugged in everything one at a time. It was fine after that. Odd how the sub was acting up if the source had no power!

PSA did issue an RMA for the preamp. But maybe it’s the BHK 250? I am not sure.

It might be in the BHK preamp where there is a DC servo that should keep the clicks down. Can you contact Jeremy in service and we’ll figure this out. My apologies. This should not happen.

Paul, it seems to be an issue if I use my XLR to BHK 250 for the speakers. If I use RCA and XLR to subs, no issue. I do notice a less open sound with the RCA atho that could be the cables. Audioquest Colorado RCA vs MG Audio CU2 XLR.

An RMA was issued. Thank you again to fine people at PSA.

Not sure if this helps or not. I have a similar system to Sevilla and had a similar experience with my left channel after leaving my system on overnight for about 14 to 16 hours straight. The next morning, loud feedback was coming from both the my left speaker and subwoofer. So much so the sub remained on despite it being set to auto sensing and no music playing.

I put my system into standby for 6 hours or so. Upon turning it back on, the feedback from the left channel was gone and it has not returned in the month since.

PS Audio received my malfunctioning BHK Preamp on August 18. Twelve days later and it’s not back yet. I bought it May 16, 2017. I only had it for 3 months when it started malfunctioning. This preamp cost $6K and $42 more to ship it back for repair. Not happy.

It did help make my system sound sweet though. I’ve been listening to MControl/Roon --> DSJ (Huron) --> BHK 250. Now that I’m used to the sound without the BHK Preamp, I’m eager to put it back in the chain to hear the difference.

Have you contacted PS Audio to ask them about the status of your preamp? Unfortunately, we cannot help you with the repair.

Sevilla said

PS Audio received my malfunctioning BHK Preamp on August 18. Twelve days later and it’s not back yet. I bought it May 16, 2017. I only had it for 3 months when it started malfunctioning. This preamp cost $6K and $42 more to ship it back for repair. Not happy.

It did help make my system sound sweet though. I’ve been listening to MControl/Roon → DSJ (Huron) → BHK 250. Now that I’m used to the sound without the BHK Preamp, I’m eager to put it back in the chain to hear the difference.

Hi Sevilla,

Your repair was completed this morning at 10:30 AM and we are reaching out to you now to let you know the results.

Look for that email from me in about 5 minutes.

Thanks

• Jeremy
darrenv1070 said

Paul, it seems to be an issue if I use my XLR to BHK 250 for the speakers. If I use RCA and XLR to subs, no issue. I do notice a less open sound with the RCA atho that could be the cables. Audioquest Colorado RCA vs MG Audio CU2 XLR.

An RMA was issued. Thank you again to fine people at PSA.

PSA replaced the main board in my Preamp. After about 120 hours on this preamp, I have to say one thing. Man, oh man. At just over a 100 hours of constant play, this preamp has NEVER I mean NEVER sounded this good even from day 1. I am so blown away!!

Holy S. It's crazy outstanding!!
Thanks again! If I am even in Colorado I will make it a point to stop by to say hello. PSA is outstanding!

Please do! You would be welcomed.

RCA will always sound less than open relative to the XLR connections - the entire BHK is built around the balanced configuration and to the extent you maintain that balanced architecture in the system you will enjoy the very best sound. I doubt anything is amiss.