PS Audio AirLens

One less egg to fry.

Al, when you say that the Nucleus+ has poor sound quality, do you mean when using it to output via USB to a DAC? Or do you also mean when using it as a Roon core to send data over a network to a product like the AirLens via Paul’s much touted uPnP? A neighbour has problems whenever Roon puts out an update, like now for their move to .NET, and the non-Roon manufacturer of his Roon core streamer does not seem to be ready for it. I was wondering if he would be better off using a Nucleus as his Roon core, since it is a Roon product. His DAC is a Bricasti M1 to which he could add their network bridge. He would not use USB from the Nucleus. Any other recommendations from you or from the other forum denizens appreciated!

1 Like

My experience has been with Nucleus servers when used as a Roon Core and stream out via Ethernet. I have also heard them connected to a Matrix and then i2s to a DSD. You can recognize the music okay, it just pales in comparison to say a Sonic Transporter or a Euphony server or an Aries G1 or G2. It puzzles me why I hear not so good and the reviewers say oh boy this is grand. I want it to be good but in my experience it isn’t.

A Euphony PTS server from Power-Holdings is less than half the price and sounds way better. It also offers its own music interface in addition to Roon. It’s own interface which works with Qobuz and Tidal as well as local files sounds a tad better than Roon. But I always run Roon on mine. For my money a small computer optimized for music running Roon sounds better than the Nucleus.

I could be wack about this, but I don’t think so. If anyone reading this loves their Nucleus, continue to do so but perhaps examine other opportunities. I think for less money one can do better.

:pleading_face:

It’s very interesting to hear your experience since I am ready to dig in the “Roon ready” rabbit hole. Your post will be saved in my treasure box. I’m still waiting for the AL arrival. Paul mentioned with AL, the Roon SQ will be improved and there’s no need for their own SW/server anymore. we will see.

1 Like

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Technical and Subjective Differences Between Roon and JRiver Media Center

@aangen Thanks for the lead on the Euphony Summus. According to the US seller, they are from Germany. Embarrassing that I missed reading about a for me local product in Copper in May 2021. I included them in a post I just made to the compatible-i2s-source-devices thread.

1 Like

@Paul, if we can’t talk about concrete Airlens features yet, it would at least be interesting to know from those who are deep into all considerations, what of the noise influences happening before the streamer can generally be fixed at the input (galvanic isolation) or not?

What are the parasitic influences by e,g, simple power supplies of hard discs, NAS drives, switches, processors etc that harm the signal steadily before, in a way that can’t be corrected or blocked at the streamer input?

Can’t believe that with galvanic isolation at the streamer, audiophile routers and switches as well as linear power supplies at the storage and network components then don’t play a role anymore. Would be nice, but…

Well, I am not waiting. I have dropped my Matrix + USB for a new A Capella III by Musica Pristina.
A US made, Roon Ready Streamer with dedicated I2S output.
Beautiful device. Finally, I can play my library of DSD64, DSD128 AND DSD256 audio to my Directstream plus PCM up to 352.4. Internal LPS adds to the very low noise floor. Best audio SQ I have ever heard from my DSD DAC!
Reach out to Kevin at Musica Pristina for a trial.

4 Likes

Congrats! How does it sound compared to Matrix?

Better in almost every way.
I have tried numerous other Streamers using a Matrix X-SPDIF 2 to convert USB to I2S.
IFI ZEN Stream, Lumen, Rose Audio.
To me, and of course you need to listen for yourself, the A Capella III combination with the DSD DAC via I2S is the best sound I’ve gotten. Plus it plays all my .dsf music.

4 Likes

I think that is going to be my Roon endpoint i2s streaming solution for a new 2nd system that I am putting together.
Kevin seems like a very straight shooter and the company is small enough that he is very hands on. Just my type of place to deal with.
Thanks for posting the recommendation.

So you must have a bunch of used stuff for sale. I’m looking for a SBooster power supply and/or RAL HDMI.

Is there any more concrete schedule for Airlens meanwhile than none for both Airlens and DS Mk II?

Not that I’ve heard. Paul has some very optimistic plans for them to be available this summer, but in our meeting this week, sounds like they got pushed more into fall time.

1 Like

Thanks, so I personally wouldn’t hold my breath for this year, at least not outside the US, let’s see.

I assumed this was going to happen which is why I pulled the trigger on a Signature Rendu. I wanted the elevate performance sooner than later. When the AL comes out, I can either move the Rendu to another system of sell it. But to be honest, it’s so good, the AL has a lot to live up to.

2 Likes

Same thoughts here; I got the confirmation email that my Euphony Summus 2 server will be here next week. It can be used as an endpoint or connecting to Bridge2. The good news is I can just add the AL as an endpoint later if there is further improvement.

Also, a little upgrade to the Orbi modem/router; I plugged it into an AudioQuest IEC 3 power strip (with a spared Audio Envy 3 pc), and the power cord goes into an on-wall Isobar surge protector. The streaming SQ improves quite a bit. Everything matters in streaming too.

2 Likes

How does the Signature Rendu compare to the Optical Rendu since you have experienced both? I have an Optical Rendu feeding a Matrix to my DSD via i2s, Audioquest Dragon hdmi. I would appreciate any insights you might have. Thanks

I’m still struggling to fully understand what Airlense product is?

I know about the isolation part.

But what are the inputs and what are the outputs?

Is there a photo of the back panel that you can share?