PS Audio Direct Stream with the Bryston BDP-2

I have not had any issues with the BDP-2 and Huron. I have not installed the upgrade board.

I am unaware of any issues with 192/24, but do not know off-hand if I have played any. :slight_smile:

Do you have issues with other formats as well?

I spoke with Gary Dayton at Bryston today (7/12) and he said they havenā€™t tested to see if the issue still exists with Huron loaded. It is unclear to me from reading the above posts if anyone has. He said when they tested quite some time ago they borrowed a unit from a mutual dealer. Gary said the issue is ā€œtotally inexplicableā€ to them.

I just listened to a couple of 192/24 FLAC files played by the BDP-2 (without the new board) via AES/EBU into the DS with Huron installed.

The sound is glorious. Zero distortion or other problems.

We already know there are no problems with the old board (Juli) I have one.

As I stated I have the new board and the Bryston BDP-2 and Huron on the PS. Yes it still distorts badly with 24/192 files.

The old Juli board worked fine.

I am using now a Mutec in between the PS and the Bryston and that resolves the issue. Albeit at the cost of the Mutec, extra cables, power supply, shelve space etc.

ozzy

Is it a problem with all outputs of the BDP-2?

I believe that the original issues with the new IAD were with the AES/EBU output being distorted.

Something about the DS not liking the signal frequency out of the AES/EBU with the new IAD card.

I really enjoyed the BDP-1 and was considering a BDP-2 with the new IAD until the issue was reported.

Didnā€™t the new IAD allow higher resolution material to play back via AES/EBU?

You may want to inquire over at the Audio Circle Bryston forum, thatā€™s were I first saw the issue reported.

With my BDP-2 to the PS Direct Stream I am using the AES/EBU but the coax also distorts.

ozzy

Thanks Ozzy for answering my question. Iā€™m really disappointed that Huron didnā€™t solve the issue. This is so frustrating as I like both the BDP and DS and would prefer to keep and use both.

Ozzy - Could you tell me more about which Mutec model you are using? I looked at their website and had no clue as to what you might be using.

I own this combo with IAD card, but I am afraid I havenā€™t tested the AES output with 24/192 files since upgrading to Huron

But I actually changed from my Shunyata Anaconda ztron AES to USB only several years ago, when I demoed a Curious Cable USB and a Sablon Audio USB.

I found both to be a nice upgrade in sound over the 3-5 times more expensive AES, plus it solved any distortion issues on 24/192

So I would encourage checking those 2 cables out, as they performed much better than the 6 USB cables I had demoed or owned previously

The only problem I still have with the combo is popping between DSD track changes, but Huron seems to have slightly helped this, but not all the way

ozzymilton said

With my BDP-2 to the PS Direct Stream I am using the AES/EBU but the coax also distorts.

Have you tried USB?

Also, I recall the new board derives S/PDIF and AES/EBU from USB. I also think Bryston stated USB output would not be improved by the new board, but the other outputs would be. Does anyone know if this is the case?

If you canā€™t use the AES/EBU because it distorts and the USB is not improved by the new board then what would be the point of getting the new board?

Thatā€™s why with the Mutec in between I think I am using the best that is available.

ozzy

Chris,

Iā€™m sorry that I didnā€™t reply earlier.

I am using the Mutec +3 USB unit.

ozzy

ozzymilton said If you can't use the AES/EBU because it distorts and the USB is not improved by the new board then what would be the point of getting the new board?
To answer your rhetorical question: there would be no point. Duh. :)

I take it you are using USB.

Do you know anything about how the board works? Does it have no impact on USB? And is S/PDIF and AES/EBU derived from USB?

elk,

No I am using the AES/EBU out from the Bryston BDP -2 to the Mutec and then AES/EBU out to the PS Audio Direct Stream. That way I am utilizing the qualities of the better IAD board in the Bryston.

It is my understanding that the new IAD board does not improve the USB.

ozzy

To add to my last post, I am that idiot that purchased the IAD for my Bdp-2, and it was a nice upgrade for my AES connection.

But then after a year or two of living happily with that I investigated other USB cables, after my initial foray was wholly disappointing.

Though I kept a shunyata venom usb as a good enough option for dsd.

So Iā€™m just adding that even though you spent the money for the IAD upgrade, USB has grown since then as its not all that close in my system, between my shunyata anaconda AES and my Sablon 2017 dual channel USB cable. Nor with the Curious cable.

soliver,

So, are you saying you prefer the usb over the AES?

ozzy

Yes, with those particular USB cables, easily I do.

Iā€™ve demoed about 10 USB cables including Light Harmonic, Cardas, Audioquest, and the like from $200-$1000. None except the Light Harmonic and my preferred 2 held a candle to the AES, Light Harmonic was slightly off, but both the Curious and Sablon were easy improvements over my Anaconda AES.

It sucks(ed) money wise, but useability wise itā€™s nice to have one cable to serve all file types.

My Shunyata is currently loaned out to a friend where it was a very nice improvement over the AES cable he had been using between his Bdp-2 and Bda-2 DAC. So I donā€™t think the shunyata is a slouch of a cable to compare against.

soliver,

Well I am using the High Fidelity Reveal XLRā€™s (AES) from my Bryston BDP-2 to Mutec and from Mutec to the PS Audio Direct Stream Dac.

Considerably better sound quality compared to USB cables (including Curious).

ozzy

So here it is several years later and I still have this issue. Note: The earlier posts about the Mutec no longer apply.

I have been having problems from day one (about 5 years now) with playing files higher than 24-96HZ from my Bryston BDP-2 via its Digital out into the digital in on the Direct Stream Sr Dac. Though the screen on the PS Dac shows its playing with the correct 24-192hz sample rate the sound out of the speakers just pops.

24-96hz, 16-44hz and even DSD plays fine. Just PCM higher than 24-96hz has the problems. It happens with all of the PS Audio firmware updates including the new Windom.

A work around has been using the USB out from the Bryston into the USB of the Direct Stream Dac and then all files regardless of the frequency rates play fine. But about once a day I have to turn off the PS Dac and turn it on again for music to play. Evidently it still loses the connection. The screen says its still connected though but no sound is heard.

I would like to get away from the usb connection all together and just go XLR Digital from the Bryston BDP-2 to the PS Direct Stream Dac Sr , but again the 24-192hz files will not play only popping noise. The Bryston has had the newer IAD board installed.

I hesitate to send the Dac in for repairs because it may just be a compatibility issue with the 2 different units.

Ted, Paul or anyone have you experienced this problem and can provide help in finally resolving tis issue?

ozzy