PS Audio Music Server In The Pipeline?

I don’t know the specifics but I do know they are hand tuned to each board. The drives are quite reliable. Better than any I have ever seen. But, on occasion, we have to replace one it has to be tuned. The factory trained our folks and I’ve watched the techs and engineers do it, though I am ashamed to say I don’t know myself how to do it.

No worries. It’s usually the carburetor ; )

NIce to know the Oppo drives are reliable. Wondering what the Mean Time to Failure is for these things? In other words, what’s the life expectancy of a DMP?

There’s a potentially weighty inference there – if you have the same music on both shiny discs and digital files - then there is no reason to get a DMP? I thought the sound quality of the DMP still bested the Octave. Unless that has changed, then that would seem to be a pretty good reason for a DMP.

You are right in that currently there’s nothing I know of that can best DMP for sound quality of a digital recording. But that doesn’t mean there won’t be something better. In fact, I am counting on it.

The Octave Server will somehow best the performance of DMP or we won’t release it.

2 Likes

I heard the MSB Select Transport with powerbase and Pro ISL module today. Sounded OK to me, but it is 7 times the price of DMP. I should have taken my DMP for an A/B.

Wow, Paul. That last sentence is quite a statement! I’m not about to bet against you : )

Thanks, Mark. I am, however, cheating just a little. I got to hear about 30 seconds of a new prototype Digital Lens output board Bob Stadtherr designed connected to the Octave server prototype on familiar CD music and was stunned at how much better it sounded than the same disc played on DMP - that was until it up and died. Oh well. We now know it is possible. Bob’s working on the rebuild.

4 Likes

Exciting stuff! As long as you can get it to work for more than 30 seconds ; )

Found the first thing I don’t like about the new Forum software:

“Have you considered replying to other people in the discussion, too? A great discussion involves many voices and perspectives“

Does it really have to reprimand us? Robot PC police?

I really expected this. We argued long time why streamed files should sound better than discs, then the DMP came with an improved digital lens and it turned around…so maybe it’s my little technical understanding simplifying things and having expected the next lens development won’t make it into another drive but a streamer :wink:

I hope we’ll have a good part of it in the Bridge III, too.

Well one would hope it is in the DMP II…

If a DMP II is without SACD playback it’s a different animal anyway…interesting for a different clientele … sooner or later those people will rip/buy downloads anyway I’m sure…

For sure. In fact I’m not sure if it would be fish or fowl. One of the major deals was that it played SACD discs, and so was great for those of us with large SACD libraries, as well as for those who had no interest, etc. In ripping SACDs to .dff. I would think there would be a lot fewer takers without that capability, but for all I know there were only ten of us in the first place ; )

Unless of course the lack of licensing cost, gen II tech, etc. makes the thing significantly more affordable.

sure…but a drive unit, even when inheriting gen II tech, that cuts one from all hires except a few DVD-A? In my mind such drives are really just for people who don’t want to rip and take the compromises of redbook resolution…I just wonder why those then should care about gen II tech.

Yes, the little reprimand can be annoying: Remember to talk to all the kids at the party.

Well, we are posting to everyone - whether or not we click the “reply” button. It seems to be just about that function, I’m guessing. I took to clicking the reply button to potentially cut down on confusion with respect to what my response refers to, as it can end up being 3, or 18 posts ago.

So if I just post without replying, am I a better “citizen”? ; )

(Clicked reply button):

That is essentially what I’m saying, except that, to be clear, as I understand it, at this point in the future development cycle…etc. - they are only planning on losing the ability to play Factory SACDs. (PS Pals, feel free to weigh in at any point. Though Jah knows, I will not fault you for NOT wasting your weekend on this. On the other hand, Paul, you started it ; )

You’ve gotten closer to what I was pondering, which is that, in order to extract the max awesomeness of DMP2, you would want to be conversant in DVD-ROM ripping of .dsfs and so forth. Hence the disconnect - you wouldn’t think the new buyers would be into that unless the thing is $2k or something. Otherwise, they would buy the Octave.

Everyone feel free to weigh in - we’re doing free product development on Sunday : )

This is exactly how to do it. The bit of robo scolding is silly. Ignore it. :japanese_ogre:

Just to clear it up for me. I guess that PS Audio couldn’t work out a deal to keep OPPO building drives so they could keep building the DMP for the SACD part or they decided to shorten the time to market with the new Music server? Or they are going to make something that sounds better then the DMP could that will use regular CD’s?