PWD Died?

I was enjoying some Who on my PWD MKII this morning and it just died. Started hearing static and went to investigate. Then I started hearing a rapid switching noise like when you change a setting on the DAC. The thing had a mind of its own likes it was trying to fix itself? All of the sudden it just cut out and now nothing. Tried resetting by turning off and on, changing software versions, reset bridge, pulled bridge out. Nothing seems to work. I can make all the changes on interface, but I don’t get a clicking noise anymore and nothing works. Any ideas what’s wrong? Thanks.

Does it only happen on the bridge input, or is this happening on all inputs?

It happens on all inputs. Bridge no sound, USB no sound but static, coaxial will work for about 10 seconds if I turn the unit off and then on again (sometimes). Just tried installing 2.2.0 to no avail, but this happened when I was using 2.1.0, which worked fine until it started cutting out. I have latest version of bridge software installed too. I can move through the functions, but there is no clicking sound like I’m used to hearing each time I make a change on the interface. Not feeling too good about this one.

My spidey sense is tingling, too.

Dennis, is there a master reset procedure?

Did you recently move your unit? After upgrading my PWD with the MK II board I soon had an intermittent cut out of sound preceded by a low level screeching sound (through speakers). After a short time the problem got worse. I thought it was the upgrade board because the unit never did it before so I had PS audio exchange the board for me but the problem persisted only worse. After opening the unit and wiggling some wires around while it played, I found the power supply connector from a transformer to the analog board (two orange wires) had improperly assembled pins. The pins were not properly seated in the connector so when the connector was mated to the board jack they were pushed up and made poor contact. I very slightly enlarged the plastic pin receptacle holes so the wire sleeves locked in place and problem fixed.

for the bridge only. Power cycle the PWD with the switch in the back.the after a few seconds touch the front panel to get tho the version screen, then after about 30 seconds a green button will appear, This will reset the bridge.

Unfortunatly this sounds like a hardware problem with the PWD. You might try reloading the PWD code also.

Did you recently move your unit? After upgrading my PWD with the MK II board I soon had an intermittent cut out of sound preceded by a low level screeching sound (through speakers). After a short time the problem got worse. I thought it was the upgrade board because the unit never did it before so I had PS audio exchange the board for me but the problem persisted only worse. After opening the unit and wiggling some wires around while it played, I found the power supply connector from a transformer to the analog board (two orange wires) had improperly assembled pins. The pins were not properly seated in the connector so when the connector was mated to the board jack they were pushed up and made poor contact. I very slightly enlarged the plastic pin receptacle holes so the wire sleeves locked in place and problem fixed.

I did open it up and checked everything as I performed the MKII upgrade months ago. Wanted to make sure something didn't work lose. Reseated some of the connections on the inside, but I'm afraid Dennis is correct, appears to be a hardware issue. Not sure what makes that clicking noise inside the unit when you change settings, figuring its a relay or something. Whatever it is, it's broke. Clicked a bunch of times on its own and then died. This one will have to go back to the factory for repair.

just a thought…

does it do the same on native AND native-X?

just a thought.....
does it do the same on native AND native-X?

Yes, nothing on all settings. Getting an RMA from PSA today.

Bummer.

Ask them to load firmware 2.41 and check for noises at the same time.

Excellent thinking, Mr. G.