Quote of the Day

Thanks, just ordered a copy. I don’t lose books though I do like to share/give them away…

1 Like

My favorite book.

That Al was one smart cookie.

3 Likes

it told me i was menopausal…

I have read the book but so long ago I have forgotten most of it. I need to read it again.

“The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the Living Infinite.” Jules Verne, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

“It’s not down on any map; true places never are.” Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

1 Like

Both wonderful.

Coincidentally, I just read this article a couple of days ago:

Wow - that article makes you think, “Don’t tell me YOUR job sucks!” :joy:

Another Quote of the Day:

“Gastronomic incest” :dizzy_face:

There are a lot of people who work much harder than I do for their living.

1 Like

My neighbor is a tree cutter. Now that’s a hard way to make a living.

Usually doesn’t involve grilling your coworkers’ organs over a hot rock and eating them, hopefully.

In more quotable news:

“A sextuply eclipsing sextuple star system”. Say that three times fast.

1 Like

I studied astronomy in the mid 60’s as the moon shot was heating up. The distances are incomprehensible to us in any way shape or form. It’s also an easy way to feel “small” as Steve Martin would say.

1 Like

I’ve been interested since I was a kid as well, and to your point about conceiving the distances, just this year, looking at the sun, I was struck by how odd it is that you can look directly at this thing so common to our everyday experience that is 93 million miles away - as if it were a car headlight. Just so utterly outside our context.

Far enough that it takes light, at 186,000mph*, 8.5 minutes to get to your eye. And that’s just chump change, distance-wise. I was surprised in the article that the six star system was “only” 1,900 light years away :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Typo - that should read “mps”. In mph, it is 670,616,629 mph :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

And you can feel the heat of that fire burning 93 million miles away on you face. Then think about how many millions of years it has been burning like that.

2 Likes

IIRC, statistically one of the most dangerous jobs on the planet in terms of risk of injury and fatalities…

Requires one to have a disciplined safety mind-set to perform the work safely.

Yes, every single second.

He is in his late 30’s and looks like late 50’s. He has had broken bones from wrecks, cuts from a chainsaw, and damage from widow makers trying to do what they do. We have a large amount of standing dead ash trees around here and they are very unpredictable to safely remove.
He is still agile enough to climb trees to do the work so his skills are in demand where trees are overhanging buildings or other obstacles and man lifting equipment will not fit.
It is not a profession for the weak or the timid.

1 Like

…or the cavalier…

Well spoken. Only high iron work even comes close and it is “very safe” by tree trimming standards.
Back in the day when I was doing new construction work the best connectors were American Indians. That seemed odd to me but they were and probably still are the best.

What is a connector?