Quote of the Day

“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” ~ Oscar Wilde

2 Likes

On Narcissistic vulnerability. And, pathology.

"Man shouldn’t be able to see his own face – there’s nothing more sinister. Nature gave him the gift of not being able to see it, and of not being able to stare into his own eyes.

Only in the water of rivers and ponds could he look at his face. And the very posture he had to assume was symbolic. He had to bend over, stoop down, to commit the ignominy of beholding himself.

The inventor of the mirror poisoned the human heart."

~Fernando Pessoa

2 Likes

Reminds me of a guy I knew in college. He got a house with some other guys, and they decided to have no mirrors in the house. So - if your hair was mussed or had mustard on your chin, so what?! People are far too concerned with appearances! Of course he had to tell everybody about this… :thinking:

1 Like

@badbeef @gedlis Love it! All my adult life I’ve had a scraggly-assed beard, and I’ve loved saying ‘I don’t care what it looks like, since I don’t have to look at it!’

Even during the depths of COVID-19, series 1, when I cut my own hair, I didn’t care what it looked like!

Fascinating. A house full of men, and no mirrors. Can one be ‘sloppy and messy’ only if one does not need to see oneself? But then must seek for a ‘mirror’ via the telling others about it… We are very complicated animals, Human Beings… :slightly_smiling_face:

‘Mirrors’, on the variety of them (physical, or concrete, and Human, or symbolic) are complex. They afford us with a ‘refection’ - An opportunity to see who we are, however, can also distort/blind us to who we are, the existence of others, and the impact we often have on others (intimate and destructive).

Also, mirrors pose an interesting question - What one ‘looks for’ in their reflection? Enlightenment - All of who one is, surface and interiors? Certain parts while obscuring other parts? The fantasy that the Self is sufficient, therefore one need depending on no one else (which is essentially what Narcissistic vulnerability at its core)?

Elk, I have read all of Plato which has come down to us, and it ain’t in there.

My experience as well.

Dude, all I know as a video producer by trade, is I see myself reversed left to right. :cowboy_hat_face:

I do however fully appreciate your erudition. Don’t get me wrong.

1 Like

“Our entire biological system, the brain and the earth itself, work on the same frequencies.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Don’t buy upgrades, ride up grades.
Eddie Merckx

1 Like

“Never let a good crisis go to waste.” ~ Rahm Emanuel

2 Likes

The full text of Emanuel’s quote is more chilling. Especially coming from the mouth of a politician:

“You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it’s an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.”

What we’re dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law. — Buford T. Justice

2 Likes

“People change, but there really are limits. One thing you discover in psychoanalytic treatment is the limits of what you can change about yourself or your life. We are children for a very long time.“

Adam Phillips

1 Like

“To begin with oneself, but not to end with oneself;
To start from oneself, but not to aim at oneself;
To comprehend oneself, but not to be preoccupied with oneself.”

Martin Buber, 1950

1 Like

“The need for certainty is the greatest disease the mind faces.”

bestselling author Robert Greene…

2 Likes

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ~ Bruce Lee

3 Likes

“Medical science has made such tremendous progress that there is hardly a healthy human left.” Aldous Huxley

2 Likes

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.
Al Einstein

8 Likes