Quote of the Day

That is such a good quote

An excellent sentiment!

Actually, for a sufficiently high level of hair splitting that’s incorrect in a number of ways but let’s not get into that while we can have fun with logic to create a quotation of the day (you heard it here first!).

Murphy’s First Law (M1): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
Murphy’s Second Law (M2): Whatever goes wrong goes wrong the worst possible way.

Observation O1: Going wrong is something that can go wrong.

Intermediate result I1: M1 && O1 => Going wrong will go wrong.
Intermediate result I2: M2 && O1 => Going wrong only goes wrong when it is most important for the going wrong to succeed

Corollary C1 (law of demos): Uttering “X always happens” stops X from happening
Corollary C2 (law of occassional successes): Uttering “X never happens” causes X to happen

C1 && C2 => For each use of universal quantifier, that use is incorrect.

3 Likes

I before E except after C disproved by science.

2 Likes

If in doubt, eat!

4 Likes

Consider this about Murphy’s law: Murphy was an Optimist! :smile:
Chas

1 Like

“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”
― Frank Zappa

6 Likes

“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”
― Frank Zappa

6 Likes

“Definition of rock journalism: People who can’t write, doing interviews with people who can’t think, in order to prepare articles for people who can’t read.”
― Frank Zappa,

3 Likes

“If you fell down yesterday, stand up today.” H.G. Wells

3 Likes

…but while you are down there, just have a little snooze first :slight_smile:

3 Likes

“The problem is that one person’s “policy” is another person’s unintended consequences.” (John Mauldin)

2 Likes

Well, if things were so great,
they never would of changed.

Woody Harrelson in True Detective
Chas

1 Like

“The bassoon is one of my favorite instruments. It has a medieval aroma, like the days when everything used to sound like that. Some people crave baseball…I find this unfathomable, but I can easily understand why a person could get excited about playing the bassoon.”
― Frank Zappa

1 Like

I can easily imagine a Future Religion based upon the Sayings of FZ.

2 Likes

May the spirit Zap you …
Chas

I’m sure you can incorporate Zappa as a deity to pastafarianism. Just try to not start a holy war with the traditional colanderians.

1 Like

I find it comforting to think that he is looking down upon us. With puzzled bemusement, obviously.

FZ’s Ten Commandments:

#1 Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow…

2 Likes

“Art is making something out of nothing, and selling it.”
― Frank Zappa

1 Like

“Without “Louie Louie” a symphony is not quite so grand.”
― Frank Zappa

3 Likes