Quote of the Day

I am certain a quick Google search or two and you will locate what you need.

Edit: This is fun. It turns out it is a joke dating back to at least 1693!

https://www.fishmanmarketing.com/lawyer-liar-joke-from-1693/

1 Like

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
― Frank Zappa

4 Likes

One would think; there is only 12 notes (typically), yet every day people write more good music.

Three cheers for human creativity!

4 Likes

So true, So true. (Ducks and runs.)

2 Likes

I was surprised to learn from Fishman that Marlboro was once a woman’s cigarette. Oh the manly irony.
Chas

1 Like

Do you remember the commercial with the jingle ‘Winston tastes good like a cigarette should’?

1 Like

Funny, I liked Marlboro and Pall Malls but never liked Winstons. I quit 30 years ago. It took my taste buds 20 years to stop the cravings. lol
But I saved enough money to pay for a DSDAC sr.
Chas

3 Likes

Thankfully I never took up the habit. I’ve been riding my trainer and rowing machine (DIY) while watching the Beverly Hillbillies since Covid started. There were two sponsors for the first 2 seasons, Kellogg’s and Winston.

1 Like

The Beverly Hillbillies were great stuff.
Chas

1 Like

The writing is very witty, all but Grannie’s confederate affilation

from yesterday’s anti-pandemic march in London.
i saw this and cracked up - for those that followed the ecumenical adventures of the residents of Craggy Island this was a real “down with this sort of thing” moment :slight_smile:

edit - it is also a deep statement on what most people want, but rarely protest about…

2 Likes

And we will toil for much longer than is necessary…ironically. The virus doesn’t care what we want.

1 Like

“Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice.” -Will Durant.
[NB: one might substitute “biological” for “geological,” but the take away is that Ma Nature is in the driver’s seat, and we humans are just along for the ride]

“If man asks for many laws it is only because he is sure that his neighbor needs them; privately he is an unphilosophical anarchist, and thinks laws in his own case superfluous.” - also Will Durant

The world has always been full of things that can kill you. One has to deal with that reality as best one can by learning and adapting to the situation.

2 Likes

The trouble with Normal is its many definitions. LOL One of my favorite Bruce Cockburn’s lines is “The trouble with normal is that it always gets worse”

Well I am off on a tangent again … join me , the view is great

Chas

2 Likes

Love your second paragraph quote.
Chas

Chas - I’m still struggling with the concept/philosophy of Entropy. In the Universe, on the Planet, in Poli-fing-tics, not to mention in my Stereo - which your Cockburn quote sorta exemplifies.

I wish for a world in which that isn’t so.

May be Wishful Thinking, but I have more faith in music and humanity than that.:cowboy_hat_face::pray:t2:

Beef,
I agree with you, I want the world to be better.
Chas

2 Likes

Just change your definition or order so that from the possible (randomly occurring) states of the universe a larger number represents order and the probability of entropy reducing automagically increases. What could possibly go wrong!

1 Like

“The most important thing to do in your life is to not interfere with somebody else’s life.”
― Frank Zappa

4 Likes

Elk’s comment about refrigerator magnets made me think of this one (which I have on a refrigerator magnet):

“The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it”

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson

13 Likes