Recommendations for a Preamp

Currently I have a mk1 dac connected to a ML 432 stereo amplifier out to Sonus Faber Nova 5’s.

I have on order a MK2 dac and a used pass labs 250.5.

1.What i feel i am missing, dark backgrounds instrument separation, better sound stage (although some fault on sound stage is probably my room). micro details like decay.

2.What I enjoy, sweet midrange, vocals and string instruments since most of the music i listen to has these 2 in spades.

3.What I want to avoid at all cost, high frequencies that cause listener fatigue.

I would like to keep the cost around the 5k range used.
Thanks for your recommendations
Lee

1 Like

I suggest waiting for your MK2, listening for a good while, and then decide if you need/want a pre.

If you then decide you want a pre, you can shop for those things you feel are missing from your then current system.

5 Likes

FWIW, I’d at least check out the new Stellar Gold Pre. I beta tested it and compared it vs a BHK Pre with the DSD Mk 2 and found I preferred the SG Pre to the BHK.https://forum.psaudio.com/t/stellar-gold-pre-vs-bhk-pre/35942

I was not alone in preferring it. See Chris Brunhaver’s comment here:

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/new-stellar-gold-series/35123/73?u=rcf051

1 Like

I agree with Elk. Try the volume control in the MK2.
The Pass Labs X250.5 is revered for it’s sublime mid range warmth, texture and detail.
The Mk2 might be a great pairing with it.

4 Likes

If your only source is the DAC, then it’s certainly worth testing the system without a preamp, as Elk suggests. If you need a preamp to accommodate additional sources (CD transport, phono stage, etc.), I’d look for a used BHK preamp. I’ve been using one of these for some time — first with the Mk1 DS DAC and now with the Mk2 — and I’ve been very happy with it. There is a nice one for sale in the Marketplace section of this forum. (I have not had a chance to listen to the new Gold preamp.)

1 Like

I’d suggest a Pass Labs XP-12 (new) or Pass Labs XP-20 (used). I have the XP-12 driving an XA-25. It hits all the performance parameters you mention and side steps those you and I dislike. I considered an XP-20, but prefer NIB to used. Most content with my decision. Good luck!

3 Likes

I am using a Gryphon Commander Preamp. It seems nice. Highly recommended!

6 Likes

hehe, that 10X my budget but If your ever in TN bring it with you I would love to hear it :slight_smile:
Lee

3 Likes

Sadly, it does not fit in my carry-on bag.

2 Likes

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/bhk-preamp-black-for-sale-2-600/36358

Are they $5,000 or less?

1 Like

Depends entirely on the source.
When I die my wife is throwing mine away.

2 Likes

Mine as well, the dumpster is on order… One for the gear, three for the LPs, and one for the CDs. I gradually donate my duplicates (LPs and CDs) to those that may appreciate them. Some sell, but I prefer to give.

7 Likes

You are a good person!

2 Likes

Then I’ve fooled the masses… :wink:

7 Likes

Lee,

With Pass-Labs XA160.8 monoblocks and PS DS-MK2, a pre-amp enhanced, significantly, the system’s musicality when compared to the MK (I & II) directly feeding the monoblocks. More organic, extended, and realistic. Overall, greater sense of cohesiveness, individual instruments and their configuration in creating an emotionally-evocative experience of music. Previously, I used the BHK pre-amp and currently the Pass-Labs XP-32 pre-amp. To my ears, specific genres, and particular system, the Pass pre-amp is superior when coupled with the XA’s.

Take care,
Guy

1 Like

No surprise, and BTW the XP-32 is a gem!

3 Likes

I know a couple of folks prefer the new gold to BHK, but don’t rule out BHK. I’ve never tried the new gold DAC, but BHK has pretty much beaten half a dozen preamps I’ve owned. I am not sure how PS Audio would upgrade one of the best sounding preamps for half the price, but nothing’s impossible.

2 Likes

You should consider trying, at least one more. Find a used Platinum Colossus *mk.1 or mk.1.12). You never know. I have heard quite a few preamps. They all bring something to the game. But you don’t know what is possible if you just don’t.

1 Like

I will keep those in my radar. I am sure there are probably dozens of preamps that are special out there. But, BHK is where I’ve kind of drawn the line as good enough for me. So don’t tempt me. :slight_smile:

1 Like