BHK Preamp or Mk II Dac Next?

Currently running Mk1 Dac > ML432 > SF Nova V’s

I could afford a used BHK Preamp much sooner than I can afford a Mk II Dac. Which one would you purchase first a BHK Preamp or the Mk II Dac?
Thanks
Lee

Preamp first.
I consider my preamp to be the heart of my system.

4 Likes

I’m voting preamp as well.

1 Like

BHK Preamp will do far more for your system than what a new dac will do. Then, upgrade your transformer in the MK1 or go to MK2.

1 Like

As others have also noted, running a MkI output to a preamp rather then directly to your monos sounds better. For some reason. So I’d recommend the BHK first.

2 Likes

You might find a nice one in silver in the marketplace.

2 Likes

I know, that’s a great price need to wait till monday and I am hoping its still there… To anyone considering buying that preamp - You don’t want silver its well known that the silver ones go thru tubes like crazy!!!
Lee

PreAmp it is thanks to everyone for your replies :slight_smile: Lee

1 Like

That BHK on the market place is a crazy bargain. Even at its full retail, it is worth every penny and competes against much higher priced pres.

1 Like

Anyone know what is needed to be unlocked in the “Marketplace” I cant post or reply and it shows a padlock.
Thanks
Lee

I do not. @Elk may be able to help. In a pinch you can’t send the seller a PM.

1 Like

You should be set now.

Please let me know if not.

Preamp. . . maybe. . . the BHK would not be my choice. But. . .the MK2 might be a better choice. Source improvement is a strong bump in my system.

1 Like

And… if you’re considering a preamp I strongly recommend you check out a used Pass Labs XP-12. It will be similar in price and will have great sound without the hassle of tubes. My XP-12 replaced a BHK pre and I’ve never looked back. PS Audio makes great products and their support is generally excellent. Not trying to dis their stuff just want to share my experience.

3 Likes

Elk, All set Thank You!
Lee

Thanks for letting me know.