Reference audiophile switch – quad switch ocxo – ppa studio paul pang

Hey, my setup is Dynaudio C2 + Electrocompaniet AW400 + Audio Research Ref5SE, XLO Limited and Signature3 cables. Digital source is DS MK2 DAC , with Matrix2 connected via I2S (Wire4World silver sphere HDMI cable) , and RPi5 running RoonBridge. Rpi is connected directly to one interface of RoonServer via EtherRegen+OM Deluxe combo with Finisar SPF+ modules. All of the digital part including network is powered by Farad3 PSUs.

The track where the change from current Ethrregen based setup to Paul Pang made this huge difference was from Barb Jungr’s album Walking in the sun (44.1@24bit) - “Who do you love?”.

I had the Quad switch always connected to RPi streamer and put the Dual before the quad , e.g. RoonServer ethernet port → Dual → Quad → Streamer ethernet port.
We have not tried to excahnge Dual and Quad positions.
However what we have noticed, is that even the short 1m ethernet cable going from wall (routed from RoonServer in another room) to first switch (dual) caused noticeable difference (i did not expect that as I was thinking this combo of 2 switches will make anything upstream mostly irrelevant .

Dual Plus is the other switch from PaulPang - it’s dual switch (not quad) and therefore cheaper.

It seems I will have a possibility in next 2-4 weeks to test 2xQuad switch + 1 Dual switch - i’m curious to see where this serial-stacked switches path starts to give diminishing returns. Not that I would be ready to fork so much , rather want to understand more what is going on and what are the limits. On the other side the SQ benefit is really like upgrading some audio component so maybe considering it this way it could make me consider it :slight_smile:

Thanks for responding - I’m having a hard time figuring out your setup. I don’t use Roon and I don’t understand why you need a Rpi (that’s a Raspberry Pi, right?) AND a Roon Server.

I’m using a Sonore opticalRendu into a Gustard x26 pro DAC. I’m using the Sonore Media converter for the Ethernet to Fiber conversion. I have been trying CISCO switches, which are inexpensive, and they do help but I
am still not happy with my sound. I have tried some Ethernet cable upgrades as well, CAT7 and CAT8, but not expensive cables.

I am looking at the EtherRegen website and they are saying that there will be a Gen2 model with a second SFP cage on the B side which would eliminate the need for the media converter. This might be good for my situation.

I would be up for trying the PaulPang switch but they are not easy to find - are you in the US?

yes, RPi is Raspberry Pi (as streamer - e.g. RoonBridge) and indeed Roon Server on NUC computer .
I found cheap 1meter high-speed ethernet cables to sound inferior to let’s say cable for around 100eur (i’m in EU) from AudioQuest or Pangea.
That etherRegen gen 2 sounds promising, alhough with opticalRendu , you could also use the current gen 1 etherRegen - connect B side to LAN and A side SFP to opticalRendu
But then if ER gen 2 eventually brings also further benefits to sound quality, it might be wise to wait for it as in my recent experience with PaulPang there is still quite some room for improvement :slight_smile:

Indeed it’s not easy to find them and even if you find dealer in your area it can take month or more to actually get it delivered ;(

thanks - appreciate the response

short update after extensive testing with two quad switches , one dual and etherRegen setup
summarised findings:

• best SQ: Server → OM Deluxe → etherRegen → Quad → Quad → Streamer
    → it seems even 2xQuad switches can benefit optical isolation from Server/LAN
  • Dual switch kind of burs things (smoothens out) when compared to Quad . Dual + Quad is tad better than just one Quad, but probably better upgrade path is two Quads (just leave Dual out of game)
  • With PP switches, use at least Pangea-level ethernet cables, else they can ruin sound (I found AQ Pearl totally lacking, even when used before switches/opto-convertors). Power cable change can also improve things, but it seems not to such intensity as LAN cables.
  • The worst SQ we got when had ER (without OM) in chain and going from A side (Server on 1gbps) to B side (Quad switch hooked with 100mbps) . This was worse than going directly from Server to Quad Switch. (Streamer and server autonegotiate speed so 1gbps). When not having PP switches (eg going just thru ER+OM) and having streamer connected to ER B-side, the SQ is better than going thru 1gbps A-side. So it seems to me, that if the link between streamer and server is somewhere lower speed than streamer & server interface speed, something is not working optimally.
  • We tried to move one, or both Quad switches from being powered by P10 to Supra extender from wall, it brought up some shrill (and percieved detail) on highs, but found it artificial - when switched back to P10, most of the HF details were still there and voices got totally smooth, without some added raspiness
  • As last cherry we tried to put 3 Ceraballs (isolation feet) under the 2xQuad switch stack (sitting on audio rack) and was impressed how the sound got even more focused
2 Likes