REL Subwoofer Iso Bones

$10 for acrylic that size was a steal! Is the foam directly on the floor then? I cannot see it there. Would you have done that if the room was carpeted? that is certainly one way that works as well. there are a lot of s means to an end with this job. Some much more needlessly complex than others. It does not matter how large the sub is or what it weighs either. One must weight load the top to force the resonances into the isolation we have applied. Otherwise that energy shall be lost not from the top but the sides.

For the size of that sub 20kg on top is not really enough. the weight should be evenly disbursed
throughout the top of the sub . I would say for that about 60-80kg. People will go higher and get better results but I always fear damaging the joints of the box. So I personally stay on the conservative side. However 24.5kg is what I have on my little 26g sub. mine was especially well built though.

Those Richard lord era subs were something yet to be duplicated. MJ Audio, has attempted to do so but as of yet has fallen just short IMO. Still, better than a Chinese REL until you get into the $$$ models though IMO. I was just wondering where that “foam” is and if you would elect to do that on carpet as well or something stiffer in that scenario. I do feel the best subs are down firing sealed or semi-sealed configurations.

However not onto plush carpet, obviously! If that be the case, one must then “slot load” it with a substrate with a hardness to their liking. For instance Granite is much harder than Oak but also much more porous. Two different timbres(of sound, that is).

You could consider for optimum performance putting another thinner piece of acrylic between the foam and the foam and floor, thus creating a 'sandwich. that shall render likely even better damped sound. you would just have to try it. Since it is on the bottom, any cheap tile will do that job. That, should completely isolate it. Short of Kellet Shake away. Google that. It is the best isolation made, dirt cheap IMO Yes, another advertisement :slight_smile:

So I got the GIA’S. Good start. I ended up following the OP here. Real nice now! The big thing with anything on a REL IMO is it must be screwed into the subs stock footer locations. It cannot just be sitting on something. With other subs this may suffice. REL needs the ‘connection’.