REL Subwoofer Iso Bones

Over the years I have experimented with various speaker supports that isolate/decouple the speakers from the floor. To me these techniques provide a bit more clarity possibly due to removal of some coloration that may be attributed to the speaker cabinets being coupled to a large mass, like a floor structure. My latest iteration is for a pair of REL S3 subs. The bones are made of Maple boards glued together with three holes cut in them to tightly hold three hand balls. The whole assembly is fastened to the existing m8 threaded holes located on the feet of the REL S3 subs. Three balls provide the proper amount of compession for the best isolation from the floor. These really improve the clarity of the bass. The decoupling seems to impove the tone of the bass. My floors are concrete hollow core slabs.

Very creative…hope it works for you… Are there any concerns about the larger foot interfering with the LF “wave propagation” for lack of a better term?

I would think a footer on the scale of a few feet might, but when you look at the hand balls used which are ~ equal to the size of the existing L shaped REL feet I can’t imagine they would have any effect. Although the bones are made of 3" wide maple I would guess these too have little to no effect on such a low frequency wave. The bones are basically at the same depth as the floor would be at without using spikes and using the bones it’s within the range of the spikes height.

I want to buy a per of REL S/3s for my basement office. The floor is solid poured concrete, so are the walls. I haven’t given any thought to set up, other than corner placement along a 17 wall on UNcovered floor. i am thinking wireless. A future wood floor covering may or may not happen. 35 yr. old Klipsch Forte speakers now, but the subs are prep for PSA speakers. My goal is clear, tight bass to complement the speakers.
I would greatly appreciate any comments, suggestions regarding the S/3 setup.

Check out the REL website. They have some pretty specific suggestions for best placement for their kit.

Chances are, if you experiment with the options they provide, you will be satisfied with performance. Based on personal experience, don’t be afraid to experiment with getting those subs out of the corners. See here, for example: REL Placement Guide.

Have fun.

Scott