Rolling Stone's "The 200 Greatest Singers of All Time"

Thanks Paul and Al; to paraphrase some old dead guy, any list that would want me on it I wouldn’t hold in high esteem and would not care to be listed there.

2 Likes

I concur on the “message/invoke emotion”, that seemed to be common thread. I have the CD of Richard Thompson’s “1000 Years of Popular Music” and have heard bits of it performed live. Forgot what the impetus for it was, thanks for reminding me!

It is a fun story.

I didn’t keep count, but I would guess that I couldn’t argue with the majority of the choices since I never heard of them or couldn’t pick their voices out of a lineup.

2 Likes

Happy cake day @Palouse

Thanks Luca.

Is that cake on your beard?

1 Like

Just my humble opinion. When I think about the most important occupational requirement for a “Music Critic” for Rolling Stone, or any other magazine or newspaper; I imagine the number one requirement is a degree in composition or previous writing experience.
Knowledge of music required? Not so much. - They simply do not know much about music, but they do know about written composition.
This is why the vast majority of critical reviews of music in Rolling Stone dwell so heavily on the lyrics on an album. The music on the album is often given poor, second-class citizen status. The author will say the rhythm section played very tight, or the bass player played great loping bass lines. Then the review will quickly revert back to a further discussion of the lyrics.
So, since their music composition background is so limited, is there any wonder that all of their lists are so bad? Kind of explains how John Lennon finishes high on a singers list, while some excellent singers aren’t even mentioned.

IMHO
Toolbox149

1 Like

Ugh…like they might ship it to a politician’s house? For the record, I think Celine should be excommunicated.

Supertramp didn’t make the list. :wink:

4 Likes

Did Al buy the magazine recently? Not a copy, the publisher company I mean!

Frosting! :slight_smile:

1 Like

A bit late, but happy cake day! I came in late and need to check QOBUZ on quite a few singers that I have never heard from before. I’ll put MK2 in good use today!

Thanks David. This is a great place to learn.

Well, if Rolling stone won’t recognize Pete Seeger, then fortunately for us folkies the US Postal Service just did:

4 Likes