Roon Price Increase

Well - gotta agree with that. If I had to rate the subs I have in terms of bang for the buck/least regret, that is on top. Pretty silly when I think that I almost don’t think about the video streaming subs I have, and they are less important to me. Though I guess only Netflux is similarly priced. I could live without that, however.

I no longer regret Tidal. After all the DAC tweaks snd cable improvements and tweaks I cannot find anything that is unlistenable or even doesn’t sound good in digital stream. So I let Roon radio grab from either. I still use Tidal at the ranch house to stream since it is better than other services to stream through Apple TV. Qobuz doesn’t have apple TV app strangely.

Tidal monthly and Roon annually here.
I SHOULD have bought it years ago, back when it was cheap, but so was I. :roll_eyes:
Purchasing a lifetime subscription is simply way too much of a gamble at this age… :rofl:

4 Likes

You can’t take it with you!

2 Likes

I would suggest that if you stream at least twice a week on Qobuz or Tidal and have more than $10k into your total system this question is a no brainier. It still might be a no brainer with a $7k system. I have been a lifetime Rooner for a while. I think I got in at $399. I would find it hard to find any tweek at the roon lifetime price point that would provide more value to your overall listening experience. I primarily listen to vinyl or CDs but I probably wouldn’t stream much at all but for Roon. The other competitors apps UI simply suck by comparison.

2 Likes

Me too…

Piggybacking Qobuz and Tidal on the Roon platform (and Roon Radio) are what keep me streaming on a semi-regular basis - especially on my home desktop/headphone system.

At the office I use the Qobuz and Tidal apps to send music over Bluetooth via a bluMe HD Music Receiver. I have not yet figure out Roon-ARC but, once I get that settled, this will facilitate even more streaming.

Otherwise, I continue to prefer listening to my personal files via JRiver Media Center (via DS DAC/Bridge II combo.) and spinning CDs and SACDs on my PSA DMP transport with the “Big Rig”.

1 Like

Working from home means Roon, Roon, and more Roon. I agree with @minnesotafats, having bought in for $399, no tweak, no other purchase comes close to how Roon has effected my enjoyment of music.

3 Likes

So as stated previously I decided to purchase a lifetime license to Roon. As I do sometimes, I haven’t used Roon since that date. Not the first time I’ve bit the bullet on something then never touched it again. I suppose I’ll come around and start using it again sometime, I hope.

Took the plunge but use it fairly regularly. I was holding off as late as possible as it appears you don’t get any money back if, say, you paid for a year and it doesn’t renew until months from now. So your total cost would be the Lifetime plus eating whatever is left on your year. Thankfully my renewal is in a few weeks.

2 Likes

I took the plunge too and have been listening quite a bit since. Really satisfying to (re)discover I have so many nice recordings on my nas drive using the radio. Until now I didn’t have the urge yet to extend with a Qobuz subscription. That may well come along in 2023.
As you already have lifetime, there’s no rush, but why not try to give it a go and pleasantly surprise yourself?

I look at cost of NUC and cost of lifetime, less than $1500. Here people spend 5k on a cable, but think that is expensive for a very very useful tool. I for one think its a bargain for what I get. I hate having to use a PC and the discovery of new music for me would never happen if I did not have a tool like this. I find myself taking pics of posts to follow up later and listen and then roon says these are similar and end up down the rabbit hole and going to bed way too late…

4 Likes

I do something similar. I like to add a song or artist in Qobuz. Then go to Roon Discover and pick what I saved days , weeks or months later. Then get on a genre or artist and Roon Radio just takes over. Rarely is it bad, but it keeps you away from the audiophile grind of selections, plus you can explore the lyrics at the same time.

3 Likes

Oh I’m sure I will get back into Roon at soon point for the all the reason you guys state, plus some. Just find myself going through cycles like this at times. Right now its all vinyl and SACD/CD’s, in a month or so I’ll probably only be using Roon.

3 Likes

Happy Cake Day @Job_Jalink! You are two!

I use Roon occasionally :wink:

9 Likes

Someone is getting their monies worth! :laughing:

3 Likes

Thanks Vince!
Enjoying the forum to become an audiofile grown-up (someday). :sweat_smile:

1 Like