Roon Price Increase

Yes, I think the new ARC feature certainly adds to the value of Roon. I particularly like the ability to stream ripped CDs / things from outside of Qobuz / Tidal while out.

I also bought the lifetime subscription, which is helpful with the price of the Australian dollar going up and down; it’s paid, done! But I never knew it was available for $350. Wow that would have been a good get!!

1 Like

My $.02… I purchased the Roon Lifetime license earlier this year after reading a lengthy post by the founder (I believe it was on the Roon forum). He said the lifetime license served a purpose when developing the product as they provided much needed capital. Now, however, he says that the recurring subscription is more beneficial to the business and wouldn’t commit that lifetime licenses would be offered for purchase forever. The ever increasing lifetime license cost seems to be his way of encouraging adoption of the recurring subscription options.

3 Likes

Awesome! The interface and Roon radio is so amazing. I tried several other software programs and even tested their sound quality. The newest version of Roon is excellent IMO for sound. But UI is unmatched.
Even still…something about spinning records that I can’t let go of.
Choices haha!

1 Like

Another strength of Roon is its mediation between sources and end-point players. I use it for my flavors of KEF, LSX and LS50W, Apple Homepod, Sonos Move, and my Dutch & Dutch 8cs. It simplifies using disparate end-points very well. I even use my iPhone as a portable head-phone player with a Dragon Fly Red to my various headphone models.

I bought Roon Lifetime way back, before price increases. I was a little put out by the changes (and attitude) with 2.0…I spend probably more than average stretches without internet on nice systems, admittedly an edge case, but it did get me looking around.

I’ve been really happy with a switch on the primary system to Innous Zen with Sense 2. SQ is better than Roon on a nuc. The new software is 80% there compared to my Roon use cases. Very happy.

That said, since I’m in with the lifetime, I still use Roon for Sonos devices around the house (Innuos will serve them too). The one feature I miss rom primarily using Roon is the uncanny Roon Radio feature. But in practice, I use that more around the house (Sonos endpoints) than on the main rig, so it’s not terribly missed on the Innuos. Now if they could duplicate that feature well…

2 Likes

I do like Roon radio, at the time of a playlist ending it always keeps my mood going.

4 Likes

Just a heads up. You can’t just buy a Lifetime license right away. You need to sign up for a 14 day free trial and then choose Lifetime to be billed at the end of the free trial period. So don’t wait past Dec. 18 to sign up for the free trial if you want to get the current pricing.

3 Likes

Exactly the same with me.

1 Like

Excellent advice.

I worked at Nike. One of the guiding principles is to sell to 13 to 25 year old boys. There’s always going to be 13 to 25 year old boys. If Roon continues to raise their lifetime gradually, they also gradually make lifetime out reach for a lot of young consumers, keeping them on what is ultimately a higher profit yearly or even monthly plan. There’s always going to be a crop if young consumers.

If they force people to purchase lifetime before a price hike, it’s not a large enough percentage to hurt for too long.

1 Like

Darnit! I was going down the camel leather, cashmere lined cable lifter route. Why didn’t you tell me about the mouse cable sooner?

2 Likes

A fine gentleman on this forum used his 3D printer to make me a bunch of nice cable risers and they are still in the box. I just turn on my system and start listening and my desire to tweak evaporates.

It is not a sickness, it’s the cure!

3 Likes

Makes sense. Plus they’re getting a few years’ worth out of you with a lifetime to tide them over until the 20 Somethings subs accumulate.

1 Like

Pretty sure if you start the trial at any time before 2023 you’ll get pre-increase pricing if you go to lifetime anytime during the trial.

From the Roon Pricing page:

" Trials that were started before January 1st 2023 but have their first charge on or after January 1st, 2023 will be billed 2022 pricing for the first charge only."

(If you buy lifetime, that’s your “first charge.”)

https://roonlabs.com/pricing

1 Like

Hey, kids! So, I noticed you’ve never really bought me anything for the Holidays, so here’s what’s on my List!

Thanks,

Dad

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

I’ve had my lifetime for a few years now and I love that we’re not charged extra for the updates. Now all I need is for Qobuz to offer something similar and I’d have all that I ever need…(musically that is). :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

No kidding. I’m a subscription hater.

1 Like

Same here. All told I have 13 online subscriptions for various TV, audio and photography services/applications. Just eliminated 1 (Roon), looking to replace Lightroom/Photoshop with a non-subscription and thinking of just dropping Qobuz (streaming) altogether. Just leaves the TV stuff and unless I want a divorce, I guess they stay.

2 Likes

Good to know. Just be sure to change your billing option to Lifetime before the first billing after the free trial. When you first sign up you can choose Monthly or Annual. After you activate your account you will want to change your first billing to Lifetime.

I never regret a penny I pay for Qobuz.

4 Likes