Roon with DSD

I’m trying Roon as a replacement for JRiver. Roon is running on a Macbook Pro with El Capitan. It is connected via USB to the DSD. I got everything playing, and then the music just stops. I updated to Torreys. Same problem. The length of time it plays varies from under a minute to a few minutes. The only thing that gets it started again is rebooting the DSD, which strongly suggests that it’s something related to the DSD. Ideas?

What are you using as a renderer? You need a Roon-ready endpoint between the computer and the DS USB input. Something like a Sonore microrendu. At least that’s my understanding.

Avadia - I believe with Torreys the DS is now Roon ready.

I believe with Torreys the DS is now Roon ready.
Not yet it isn't. A Bridge update for Roon is expected to be ready in a couple of weeks. That will let one connect to the Bridge as a Roon Renderer via Ethernet.

However, that’s irrelevant if you are running Roon with the Mac as a Renderer with its output going to USB - I had that working a month ago, pre-Torreys.

I do not have anything between the Mac and the DS. A USB cable runs directly between them. That works fine – until it doesn’t. Last attempt lasted 46 seconds. I tried connecting to the bridge over the network. But that did not work, and the various posts suggest that I should not yet expect it to. But I can’t find any reason why the USB connection initially works after reboot and then stops.

darin said I'm trying Roon as a replacement for JRiver. Roon is running on a Macbook Pro with El Capitan. It is connected via USB to the DSD. I got everything playing, and then the music just stops. I updated to Torreys. Same problem. The length of time it plays varies from under a minute to a few minutes. The only thing that gets it started again is rebooting the DSD, which strongly suggests that it's something related to the DSD. Ideas?
I had a similar issue with Torreys C beta, which became Torreys Final, and I reported it in the ‘new, new Torreys’ thread. I then tried Torreys Final and still had the crashing issue. I reported it in the Torreys Final thread, as did at least two others.

Ted Smith is aware of the issue and I believe he is trying to find the source of it. In the meantime, another DS owner with the Torreys Final crashing issue posted that he installed the Torreys B beta and that solved the problem. I am testing Torreys B now and it sounds awesome over USB (so far no crashes, though it’s early).

Note: There may be an issue with the Bridge II and Torreys B, but I am not sure as I do not have a Bridge.

Maybe grab the Torreys B beta (in the ‘new Torreys’ thread) and see if it works without crashing.

darin said I'm trying Roon as a replacement for JRiver. Roon is running on a Macbook Pro with El Capitan. It is connected via USB to the DSD. I got everything playing, and then the music just stops. I updated to Torreys. Same problem. The length of time it plays varies from under a minute to a few minutes. The only thing that gets it started again is rebooting the DSD, which strongly suggests that it's something related to the DSD. Ideas?
Not sure what's going on. I have RoonServer running on a PC, connected to DS via USB cable. Able to use either ASIO or WASAPI and it works (and sounds) wonderful with no breaks. Sorry to hear you are having issues.

Have you tried replacing the USB cable? There is a whole topic at the head of this Forum section on cables that work (or don’t) with the DSD.

What are you playing back - e.g. are you playing from a local library (and is that library on a NAS, or on the Mac…) or are you playing Tidal? I am guessing you are having the issue with both if you use Tidal… From time to time I have had issues with Tidal playback that just disappeared. Some were due to my network (I had an Apple Airport Extreme that did not work well in my house for some reason), but a few times the Tidal interface has been a problem. This happened when I had an Auralic Aries both with and without Roon and also recently using the Bridge II with BubbleUPnP server (playback would start and then skip or stop). This resolved itself with no change to my network, DS… so given the prior experience and a lot of conversation I am pretty sure the problem was on the Tidal side.

I am guessing you let the Mac play Roon via System Output without the DS connected? Not sure if any of that rambling is helpful :slight_smile:

Rambling is good. Often there are great tidbits that will help the next guy.

I am not using Tidal - don’t even have a subscription yet. When I use the system output (ie the Mac internal speakers), it plays. I haven’t tested to see how long and whether it would have the same problem as the USB output. Replacing the USB cable did not help. I’m back to JRiver until I come up with a solution. But I appreciate all the comments.

Update - Bridge II solved the problem, at least over a network connection. Happy ending.

Make sure the mac is not going to sleep…On USB this could be an issue, but if you mac is setup to wake for network access then this might be keeping it alive on the bridgeII