DSD Stops Playing via USB

My DSD has started acting flaky when trying to play via USB from my iMac. It will play from Quboz or Audirvana for anywhere from 5 sec or maybe up to 2 hours and then suddenly stops. The music is still playing on the iMac app, but no audio signal is coming from the DSD. The only way I have found to temporarily correct the issue is to unplug the DSD. It will then play USB for another period of time until it goes off again. Up until just a few days ago DSD would play USB without a problem. Powering to standby and then back on, switching inputs and then back to USB etc, have no effect. Ethernet via BridgeII and optical digital inputs work fine. Has anyone else had this problem?

I had exactly the same problem. I ended up having to return the DSD to PS Audio. They replaced the digital board in the unit and it has been working trouble free since then.

I highly recommend that you give them a call about this issue.

Best of luck and happy holidays to you.

Hope that’s not the case, but if so, so be it. I’ve sent them an email and I’ll wait till I get a response. Shame if a brand new DSD, less than 2 months old, has a problem like that.

If you haven’t tried this - I suggest trying a different USB cable, as well as making sure the usb cable is seated firmly in the connectors. I have trouble with my USB connections and experience interruptions, however I have another device between my Mac Air and DSD (SPIDF connection) so the conditions are different and generally the music stops playing on the BitPerfect app.
I’m hopeful for you that the solution may be simple…

Fed the USB cable directly to my Stellar Gain Cell DAC and it works fine, so the cable is not the problem. Also reseated the USB cable multiple times in the DSD, so that doesn’t seem to be the problem either. But, thanks for your suggestions.

Brand new Direct Stream. - Has been playing non stop for 68 hours - hoping to get to the 100 + hr mark during the the trial period - Just stopped playing using the usb connection with JRivers and a Mac mini. No network card to compare to. All connections and indications appear still good thru both rivers and the midi. Power cycle fixed. Will let you know if this continues.

My USB stops only after I switch to another input - typically I2S, and then go back to USB. If I keep it on USB it doesn’t drop out.

After many days of emails back and forth with TJ at PSA we seem to have arrived at the possibly there is a problem with the way Windom is talking to my iMac OS, Catalina 10.15.2. Wouldn’t surprise me as Catalina has caused many problems with 3rd party software since it was introduced. Anyway, it doesn’t appear to be a DSD hardware or USB cable problem. I won’t say any more until TJ and/or Paul comment further, if they want. Bottom line, I now have USB back up and running without a problem. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Did you rollback OS on the Mac?

No, I didn’t. Until TJ said it may be an OS/Windom communication problem I had no reason to think I should do that. Also, never having to do that for any problem in over 30 years of working with Apple computers, I don’t think I would have considered screwing up my iMac in this situation. I’m just glad it didn’t come down to that in this case. TJ was very accommodating in coming up with a solution on his end to solve the problem, for which I am very grateful.

You cannot rollback the OS on a Mac. You can reset it to factory settings and then install the older OS.

I have a DS DAC arriving here today.

If I may ask…what was the fix? (I’m running 10.15.2 on a late 2014 mac mini and getting my ducks in order.)

If your DSD has the same problem, get in touch with TJ Tomasetti at PSA and he can help you evaluate your situation and come up with a solution.
Good luck with your DSD, I love mine!