S300 amp hiss/white noise from tweeter normal?

What I don’t understand is that people pay thousands on USB cables and re clockers but hiss is OK.

Food for thought this weekend.

Ook goed weekeinde, zat te denken aan een lang weekeinde Griekenland, daar is net onverwacht een vakantie huisje vrij gekomen :wink:

2 Likes

Go for the holiday house!

Nah too much bad public relation.

Good point. But it still sounds nice.

Our king and queen thought so, they got burned because the prime minister had just strongly advised the Dutch citizens not to go on vacation during holiday this fall. Next day on the press conference the government got asked if that applied to all Dutch, they confirmed and explained again why it’s so important. They did not know that at that very moment the king and queen were transported by the government airplane to their vacation home in Greece.

So being there just a few hours the bad publicity reached there too and they decided to return immediately.

I understand now. I was unaware of this event and the reference you were making. Thank you for explaining.

It was the holiday in the fall, my mistake (not spring as I had typed it before I corrected it). In certain European countries the schools have a week break in the fall around this time.

1 Like

Well he is consistent. In his kings speach in September before next years budget was presented by the government, he regretted that many Dutch will need to face less income, but that same budget contained the increase of his income by 5 %.

A couple of weeks later the same government strongly advises not to go on vacation and the next day the king takes the government airplane and leaves to Greece for vacation.

Consistent and from a selfish perspective no such a “sukkel” after all.

Where is Robin Hood?

1 Like

It’s very rare in audiophile circles to have hiss, in any form, called a desirable thing :hugs:

Did I do that…?

Hello, I have always had a bit of hiss from my S300 amp via speaker tweeters and a little from the midrange. But only the tweeter hiss is audible a foot from the speaker. If I turn on the Stellar GCD, then it sounds a little louder. But it is hard to say as the hiss does not change with the volume setting. This was originally in Canada and is now in Germany, where I consolidated all my equipment during Corona lockdown.

It does get quite a bit louder though when I use the PS Audio equipment (Stellar P3+GCD+S300) in home theatre passthrough (HT) mode, whereby a Marantz SR6015 sends front left and right sound via an analog connection, for which I am using a double-shielded RCA cable (1x aluminum foil plus 1x silver-plated copper braid). Then the hiss can be heard a meter from the speakers.

As we mostly watch loud MCU films or listen to loud DSD surround music with the Marantz, I can live with it. But I would like to improve the situation.

It did seem to help to set the HT line at level 40 instead of the flat level 76. The Marantz Audyssey compensated by boosting the front left and right channel from minus 9dB to plus 7dB. And sitting next to the speaker, I could tell that the hiss was less. Luckily it is easy to toggle between two Audyssey set ups and then adjust the line level on the GCD to see how the hiss changes.

Listening to quad sound music, the set up with the flat level 76 sounds better. Voices get lost with the level 40 setting. But five-channel music is totally fine as the Marantz is driving the center speaker then.

And, of course, the home theatre setup is irrelevant when feeding digital stereo sources to the GCD, without the Marantz involved, which is my main reason for having the PS Audio equipment.

Nevertheless, I would appreciate any other suggestions to reduce the hiss, especially in HT mode. Thanks!