SACD playback transport

Paul McGowan said Indeed, thanks and yes, there will be a PWT II out this year - I have been listening to it play SACD directly into the DirectStream DAC and it is to die for. I will say this with confidence - if you own SACD you have NEVER heard what's really on them - certainly I have not. I hadn't any clue what these beauties are capable of. Holy sh*t. SACD played into DirectStream is, well… I don't want to get too excited but…
sounds great for those playing SACD discs!

When comparing i.e. DSD files over Bridge vs. SACD’s of the same recording, even over the new transport, to my understanding the files should sound better 1. because no spinning disc is played and 2. because the Bridge connection is more “direct” than the transport’s over cabling (even if i2s), right?

For sure SACD’s can’t be ripped legally , so there’s a certain need for such a transport.

mark-d said Paul,will the only change,sound wise,be sacd playback? Any tweaking on the redbook side,if that is possible? Any price yet? Thanks...
Oh my, certainly not the only change. Hard to imagine but redbook CDs sound extraordinarily better than the PWT. I know, hard to imagine, but the difference isn't subtle. Bob Stadtherr (our chief engineer) and his team have really knocked it out of the park with this one. The new Digital Lens the device is based upon takes any signal (even from just an Oppo transport) and wrings much magic from it.

The new DirectStream Transport will likely be $4,999 - a bit higher than the original $3,999 of the PWT.

jazznut said

sounds great for those playing SACD discs!

When comparing i.e. DSD files over Bridge vs. SACD’s of the same recording, even over the new transport, to my understanding the files should sound better 1. because no spinning disc is played and 2. because the Bridge connection is more “direct” than the transport’s over cabling (even if i2s), right?

For sure SACD’s can’t be ripped legally , so there’s a certain need for such a transport.

More than just SACD, as I mentioned a post ago, even Redbook is better than anything I’ve yet heard. And the sound is up there with the Bridge. I haven’t had time to do a shootout between the transport and the BridgII but I bet it’ll be interesting.

Will the new transport read the whole disc into memory as the PWT does? That would address jazznut’s point #1.

No, and even the PWT doesn’t do that. Only part of the track is read into the buffer. With today’s technology we’re able to do more with less. So yeas, of course, we’re buffering the stream, but not with the same length buffer we had.

As a reference, my Rockna WDN transport buffers a cd track for only 20-30sec.

Paul said;

“More than just SACD, as I mentioned a post ago, even Redbook is better than anything I’ve yet heard. And the sound is up there with the Bridge. I haven’t had time to do a shootout between the transport and the BridgII but I bet it’ll be interesting.”

Paul…Are you saying that redbook sounds as good as the bridge streaming music? happy-132_gif

Paul McGowan said
The new DirectStream Transport will likely be $4,999 - a bit higher than the original $3,999 of the PWT.
First DS, then BHK250, now the PWT II .... I retired way too soon ....

I’ve been contemplating retirement and the toy budget is certainly a factor. I may be saved from this one because I don’t have many SACDs, my DVD-Audios have all been ripped, I don’t have space in my rack for another component of this size, and I really don’t have space in my listening room to pull my CDs out of basement storage. I will be extremely jealous if I don’t get one, however.

pmotz…Yes,5K ain’t cheap for anyone…20_gifpulling-hair_gif

The Rockna player is double the price, so $5k sounds pretty reasonable to me.

That’s absolutely correct - it ain’t cheap.

And yes, I’d guess that Redbook now betters the Bridge but without a real A/B that’s going to be nothing more than a guess.

Great news, Paul!

And very a good occasion to replace my pre-owned PWT I, which still has the old “pale” display that is pretty hard to read from a distance…

One question still: Will the PWT II also play DVD-Audio discs?

It would be wonderful if there’s an upgrade trade-in program as with the DS.

Paul said there would be a trade-in for PWT owners. Details not specified.

Hot cha! I have two. . . . I probably wouldn’t get it otherwise, but with a price reduction sending one in, and selling a few SACD players I have lying around. . . I can probably swing it.

stevem2 said Paul said there would be a trade-in for PWT owners. Details not specified.
I have a $50 Sony DVD player I can send in for trade...

I have two questions about the PWT mark II.

Firstly, when can we expect it to be available, ballpark of course?

Secondly, will the NuWave DSD be able to do the decoding for SACD?

As a bit of an after thought, do you have any preliminary pictures?

Thanks.

Bruce

I have a few questions.

Will the new PWT also be a network streamer , meaning no Ned for a computer at all and it will fond any nas drives on the network ?

Will,it stream to the new bridge over a network ?

will,it have Ipad connectivity ?

How much is msrp ? Will there be a beta test group ? If so that I would like to be in if allowed .

Any pics available

regardimg netwprk server even if it only serves the DS it’s still a complete standalone setup now. I know maybe at this price point it may not be possible but I am sking and happy to read of this new product.

I also am fine and understand it not being an upgrade from old one . All,of my several hundred SACD are ripped and the disks are put away too. And of course many hundred cd,s too. It is nice to put a disk in like playing vinyl lol. But I do want complet control from my phone or iPad. I hope,this is in the works. The new bridge is a pleasure and works flawless. Jriver finds all of my nas drives very cool.

I am happy for you and your company to stay up on new products we need , nice to see a complete line of products to stack up. I’ll post some pics tonight of things so far all ps audio , it’s a boatload of stuff , pretty cool to look at.

1234…would you like fries with that order? party_gif