Sad news for lovers of great architecture

I know we have architecture aficionados in the community. I’m blessed as a Chicagoan being surrounded by the masterpieces of van der Rohe, Goldberg and Lloyd Wright. We lost one of the true mavericks of modern architecture due to an unfortunate bike accident over the weekend:

Helmut Jahn obituary: Architect behind Chicago’s O’Hare United Terminal, Thompson Center - Chicago Tribune

The Thompson Center is as a daring statement as any I’ve ever seen, The wonder of this building really begins when one enters it, with an interior that is a marvel to behold. I think of great architecture in the same light as great art and great music: all are the product of something special in the way of inspiration and talent. Fortunately, Jahn’s legacy lives on his works of art across the city and around the world.

2 Likes

No one’s worn a hat and cape that well since Wright.

Seriously, though, I’m saddened by his passing. Regardless of what one thought of his architecture, he was a personality, being among the first group of “starchitects” to emerge in the 1970s. He, perhaps even more than his contemporaries, put a very public face on the practice of architecture, a vocation that in the period following Wright and Mies had become pretty anonymously corporate.

2 Likes

With all the negative press the city gets locally and nationally on daily basis the one constant is the beauty of the cities architecture which is spectacular!

1 Like
1 Like