Salk speakers

dose anyone here have or heard. the salk soundscapes 8,what are your throughts.

Yes, Iā€™ve heard them. Apart from saying I liked them best out of the whole SS line, Iā€™m not sure what else to say. Theyā€™re a nice sounding pair of speakers, and Jimā€™s veneering and finish work is as good as it gets. The thing that always threw me a little with Salk speakers (when I was hearing a lot of them, some half dozen years and more back) was that a customer could ask for a mod - ā€œhey Jim could you use (fill in the blank) tweeter (midrange, bass driver) in your arsenal instead of whatā€™s specā€™d?ā€, and itā€™d be ā€œsure, I can do thatā€. As a potential customer it always made me feel like ā€œwhat day of the week is this?ā€ when I was listening to one of his speakers. I never came away confident that Iā€™d know what to ask for if I were to go for one of his speakers. Having said that, Iā€™ve heard it tell he doesnā€™t do so much of that customization anymore.

1 Like

I have his ss9.5 speakers. They sound wonderful at least as far as Iā€™m concerned. They are also beautifully made and can at least from a cosmetic stand point be made to your liking.

If you tell him your musical likes and dislikes and what your goals are he can guide you to what he feels the best model for you would be. If you go to www.audio circle.com, they have a forum there and there is list of people that will let you come and listen to their speakers.

They are made to your order, so the timeline from placing your order to delivery can be awhile. I happened to be in Michigan when mine were finished, so I just went to his shop and picked them up.

My speaker is the Grey one

6 Likes

An update on Salk Sound for those not aware of what has transpired. Sadly, Jim is retiring and nobody in the family is interested in taking over the reins of the business. He had potential buyers in CSS Audio. But after a couple of months of working with the team in Pontiac, the owners of CSS Audio declined to purchase the operation. Once existing orders are shipped, Salk is winding down, selling all assets and will cease operations as a manufacturer of bespoke loudspeakers.

There are thousands of us across the country and around the world who own Jimā€™s handcrafted beauties (two pair in my case). They integrate beautifully with my PSA electronics. Salk will be sorely missed. Heavy sigh. :frowning_face:

6 Likes

Itā€™s a shameā€¦these seemed very interesting. The blueprint would be enough for mešŸ˜‚

Salk made terrific speakersā€¦still have a pair of his monitorsā€¦the business is now fully closed, no more repairs either, and the website is completely downā€¦

1 Like

If you are patient, that may come to fruition. Hereā€™s a link to that topic in the ā€œSalkā€ forum over at Audiocircle.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=188341.0

2 Likes

Thank you for your information. It would be great because I have these speakers in my idea of ā€‹ā€‹a next project. My current speakers are very good. But I would like to build some very special speakers. The Purifi drivers are said to have some of the lowest distortions at the moment. The SB Acoustics Beryllium tweeter also has a good reputation. And a concept with passive membranes should also have its advantages. Also on my list would be the SB Akustik textreme membranes, which promise equally outstanding performance. The Scan-Speak Elipticon should also have their charm. I was already thinking about Accuton Ceramic. I had already excluded these in my last selection. Iā€™ve already seen a few speakers at my dealer where the ceramic chassis were defective, so thatā€™s keeping me away from them. When it comes to cases, I currently prefer Panzerholz delignit. I would like a housing without its own sound. Based on my experience with a few Duelund capacitors, I would favor these for the crossover. Maybe Milflex. If resistors then Mundorf Ultra, I am amazed at how much more information they let through. Spools maybe Jantzen wax or the new Mundorf paper. In terms of materials, it would be very high quality. Cable silver solidcore, Mundorf Angelique or duelund Cu/SN.:thinking: You can dreamā€¦:wink: A speaker like this that is perfect in my opinion cannot be bought or I have to win a lottery. Kaiser Acoustics builds something similar.

I have one of the last pairs of the BePure 2ā€™s Jim and his team built. He was excellent to work with during the build, answered everyone of my calls and emails himself. And the speakers look and sound amazing! Everyone gushes over them. Hopefully youā€™ll get the chance to get the prints. Weird about the site, he said he was keeping it up, I was on there a few days ago checking on some specs. Iā€™d check again later on.

-Rob

1 Like