Saying Goodbye to PWD Mk II Incoming Devialet 170

Hi Guys was wondering if anyone cares to add any comments or has any experience with the Devialet product:

I am getting a Devialet 170 which will replace my PWD Mk II and ModWright KWI 200. Out of all the components I have had in my audio chain over the years, I am really sad to see the PWD Mk II go. I never thought I would sell this DAC as I loved this piece dearly and found it one of the most outstanding products I have ever had.

I also think Paul is a true gentleman and runs his business in a honest clear manner, which is evident by his activity in this forum and generally the way PS Audio as a company cares about its customer. I will still follow this community though as there is a lot to learn from all of you.

For the Devialet 170 I will stream my music as I used to do on the PWD with the Bridge. I have heard the Devialet and it is very good, mentally its hard to imagine such a small product doing so much and so well. I am still trying to get over this mental block as I am used to hauling 60 pounds plus or minus amps up the stairs, lol!!

Best of luck to Paul and PS Audio and one never knows I might be back very soon:)

Since you have purchased it, I am actually very interested to hear your thoughts and the reasons that prompted you to make the switch.

We wish you the best of luck and hope you at least stick with the forums and community here.

I have only heard the Devialet De-Premier at my delear as the 170 is back ordered, should get it in 2 weeks. It was being played with Kharma speakers and the sound was very very clean and analog not very clinical. I have heard the new firmware and new unit is better than the older unit too!

The reason is not very specific but wanted to go with one box for everything and I live in a condo. One cable, power cord etc. I have had a lot of equipment over the year with myriad no of components and unsightly cables all over the living room.

The Devialet has got such stellar review that I wanted to try it out but cannot do so without selling the PWD DAC due to financial constraint.

We wish you the best of luck and hope you at least stick with the forums and community here.

Thanks Paul and yes I will definitely still remain within this community.

Everything I have read indicates the Devialet is extraordinary. The form factor is appealing as well.

Please, please report back in and let us know your thoughts when you get a chance to play with it.

Yes please share, I would really like to own one of those!

Guys I am also patiently awaiting their arrival after the middle of July, of course I will let everyone know how it goes once I have it hooked up. Unfortunately I wont be able to do a direct comparison between the PWD Mk II and KWI 200 vs the Devialet 170 as the former are being sold to fund the 170.

But having the PWD for a while I am aware how they sound and hoping I can compare by memory, also I will still have the PWD till the 170 arrives.

Good luck :slight_smile:

I have seen that flawless streaming via wifi poses a problem even for Devialet, but the latest software released yesterday seem to have improved things, at least based on a tread in a Norwegian HIFI forum.

I think the new 110 will be a success.

@cat3600 - echoing other’s comments - let us know what you think and how it works out for you sonically and in terms of the interface you encounter. The Devialet gear is certainly appealing. Maria and Henk who review for 6 moons have said many positive things about their gear and the way they report suggest to me they have sensibilities about musical presentation that are consonant with mine - so I am curious!

Yes indeed.

They appear to be amazingly engineered.

If they work as planned and sound yummy it is a new benchmark.

I found 3 new “streamers” this week and all from Europe. Germany, Italy.

Are we missing something over here in the design/implementation dept?

Do we have a different conceptual base?

Yes indeed.
They appear to be amazingly engineered.
If they work as planned and sound yummy it is a new benchmark.
I found 3 new "streamers" this week and all from Europe. Germany, Italy.
Are we missing something over here in the design/implementation dept?
Do we have a different conceptual base?

Having studied in England for a while and travelled quite a bit all over Europe later in life, I am used to seeing much smaller systems generally there. The main reason is people don't have such large houses as in US and Canada (I am from Toronto). And the Europeans always have a different approach to aesthetics. I also strongly believe environmentally Europeans are more aware as everything from water to, electricity and gas costs more.

Plus after watching the documentary "Chasing Ice" its absolutely scary what is happening to this planet and I firmly believe we should do something to be more aware. I don't know maybe the Devialet wont be much different than my PWD in consumption of electricity but certainly will be less than the KWI 200 I think.

Sometimes in the forums when I look at the some people and their system it is really scary how much stuff one has running to out put sound and tubes are a total waste of energy. But I don't wanna draw any flack as I am as guilty, I used to own a pair of Parasound JC 1, they were like room heaters.

If the Devialet can do what I have read then I guess this is the future and even for vinyl fanatics the phone stage is quite good too. But I don't believe people will get over the mental block that soon, even I am having a hard time swallowing the fact that this equipment can do so much. This was quite evident to me, when I was at the dealer auditioning the Devialet next to the other huge beautiful audio gear sitting around the store!!

Go Jays Go! :smiley:

You arrived at the Devialet in a more interesting fashion than most. :slight_smile:

cat3600 said: . . . maybe the Devialet wont be much different than my PWD in consumption of electricity

The PWD draws less than 30 watts.

cat3600 said: I am having a hard time swallowing the fact that this equipment can do so much.

Understandable, it is impressive.

While I can’t make a direct comparison, my friend has a D-Premier and it does indeed sound spectacular. Comparisons with the PWD are really hampered by the fact that these two devices are really not at all similar. The D-Premier’s function in a system is much more encompassing than the PWD and you would really have to link the PWD to Paul’s new amp to come up with some sort of meaningful analysis. That said, my suspicion is that you will not be disappointed. Your 170 will have the USB and Ethernet connectivity that is lacking in the D-Premier. This is a welcome addition because the D-Premier requires a hardware streamer to produce audiophile quality music. The WiFi streaming sounds awful (really) but as frode pointed out, there is an update to try. My friend will be sending his back for an upgrade in the USB/Ethernet department.

What I can tell you is that the sound is very “solid” and “organic” without being overly warm. In fact (well… IMO), the D-Premier has a profound grip on the lower frequencies. It is VERY pleasing to listen to. David’s room is not treated and is not a good environment to evaluate subtleties I’m afraid, but musicians sound very distinctly and pleasingly separate none-the-less.

I can put you in touch with him if you like. He is new to audiophilia (alas, it is incurable) and went from “big box store” equipment to the high end with some subtle prodding. Nice. He has an account here on the forum but his “handle” is the same as another long time forum member, “David.”

… and that portable volume knob is to die for! ^:)^

The Devialet is a very nice product. While speaker shopping I was able to listen to the Devialet D Premier, fed from a Perfectwave Transport into the Focus 360’s. Very balanced, energetic sound, engaging across many music types. The all in one package will definitely appeal to some consumers, overall it is quite impressive.

The volume knob has a really nice feel, but honestly I’d much rather have my Nexus 7 work as the controller, it weighs a lot less and does a whole lot more. :wink:

Compared to a Perfectwave DAC fed directly into a Pass x350.5, same speakers, I’d say it is a bit more edgy in a muscular, energetic way. It’s hard to describe but the best analogy I can think of is playing the violin. The Devialet puts more weight on the bow for different results, whereas the Pass/PSaudio is just a bit lighter and has a silkier touch. Both sounded awesome!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Richard

canto4me said: The Devialet puts more weight on the bow for different results, whereas the Pass/PSaudio is just a bit lighter and has a silkier touch.

That is a great description -- thank you! I have heard similar things when comparing other, slightly less subtle, DACs to the PWD, but I never was able to express it so clearly.
canto4me said: Compared to a Perfectwave DAC fed directly into a Pass x350.5,

I wouldn't do this without a good Pass Labs preamp in between, unless you like the "portable stereo" sound ;)
canto4me said: Compared to a Perfectwave DAC fed directly into a Pass x350.5,

I wouldn't do this without a good Pass Labs preamp in between, unless you like the "portable stereo" sound ;)

Hah! I'd better start working out if I'm going to use that amp for portable sound.. :)

Seriously though, I have an Arcam pre/pro, but it degrades the sound so much it just sits on the shelf unused. Better to go direct until I can find a good 5 channel solution for the whole household.

Richard

You can’t compare Arcam to Pass Labs, can you? :wink: They are way too different. I tried to use PWD plugged directly to the Pass (I’ve got x250), but the sound was terrible (muddy, congested, distorted, etc.), so I’m back to x1 pre.

Just in case: the cables are MIT Oracle v3 (all balanced).