Schiit Freya+ with Stellar M700s

Finally got a deal done on a pair of M700s. This combo with Freya+ and LRS sounds like the end game for me. If I ever think I need something that sounds better it will be like picking fly $h1t out of black pepper.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure youā€™ll be happy with the M700s and LRSs. I use 700s to drive my .7s, and Iā€™m hearing better sound than any time in my almost 50 years in the hobby.

3 Likes

Please let us know how they sound together. Iā€™ve strongly suspected they would be a great match.

I havenā€™t had time to do much critical listening but what I have done has been positive. Iā€™m impressed. Iā€™ll add some thoughts after Iā€™ve listened some more.

1 Like

Okay, so now Iā€™ve had some serious time with the PS Audio M700 mono blocks in my system with the Schiit Freya+ and Magnepan LRS. To summarize, this is a profoundly synergistic combination. I think one would be hard pressed to find more bang for the buck. Granted the M700s are the costliest components in the chain and many audio enthusiasts would say it doesnā€™t make sense to put a $3,000 pair of amps with $650 speakers and a $900 preamp. I donā€™t follow the dollar-to-dollar line of reasoning. The way I see it is both the LRS and the Freya+ are incredible values and because of that, one is able to spend more on other components. Magnepanā€™s website states ā€œThe LRS was designed using high-end electronics and mono blocks. If you put your expensive high-end amplifier on the LRS, you will hear the differenceā€. I wouldnā€™t say the M700ā€™s are necessarily expensive but they are the most expensive pieces of gear I own. And I do hear a difference.

I have experienced improved clarity, detail and imaging with nearly every recording I have listened to. I feel like the amps have a real grip (control) over the speakers. In particular, drums sound more real, punchy and precise (meaning you can feel them as well as hear them); the bass is taught and focused, never bloated. (Note: I use a pair of active subs crossed over at around 50HZ). Acoustic guitar sounds so real it makes me want to pick one up and play along. Vocals shine and seem to have a bit of added air between them which makes listening to harmonies all the more interesting. Separation of instruments is also distinct. Width, depth and height of sound stage are appropriately sized and palpable. When no music is playing the system is dead silent.

The Freya+ has three modes of operation, passive, active buffer and tube stage. I think the passive mode is a bit thin. I donā€™t use it. The active buffer provides a bit of color but not so much that you would think you were listening to tubes. I like this stage for piano and most plucked acoustic instruments. To me the timbre sounds more natural in this mode. But the tube stage is also very good adding a touch of silky smoothness without bringing any noise to the table. I use the balanced XLR outputs to the M700ā€™s and the two SE outputs to active subs.

The bottom line: The Freya+ is a great match for the M700ā€™s and M700ā€™s are a great match for the LRS.

I wonā€™t make this any longer by commenting on any individual piece of music I demoā€™d but I will provide the following list for reference.

Media used in this evaluation:
Amazon Music HD

• Janis Ian - Breaking Silence (16 bit/44.1 kHz FLAC)
  • Charles Mingus - Ah Um (24/192 FLAC)
  • Jason Isbell - Southeastern (16/44.1 FLAC)
  • Eva Cassidy - Nightbird (16/44.1 FLAC)
  • Carly Simon - The Best of Carly Simon (24/192 FLAC)
  • Carmen Gomes Inc. - Torn (16/44.1 FLAC)
  • Roseanne Cash - The River and the Thread (24/192 FLAC)
  • Roger Waters - Amused to Death (24/192 FLAC))
  • Pink Floyd - DSOTM (16/44.1 FLAC)
  • The Guess Who - Greatest Hits (24/192 FLAC)
  • Shawn Colvin - A Few Small Repairs (24/192 FLAC)
  • Shelby Lynne - Just A Little Lovinā€™ (24/192 FLAC))
  • Simon & Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme (24/192 FLAC)

CD

• John Coltrane - Blue Train (Blue Note - AAD 1985)
  • Santiago Rodriquez/Emil Tabakov - TchaikovskyGriegLiszt Piano Concertos (Elan - DDD 1990)
  • Berliner Philharmoniker/Karajan - Beethoven Symphonies #1 and #3 (Deutsche Grammophon ADD 1963 Recording, CD production undated)
  • Cecile Licad/Chicago Symphony - Rachmaninoff Concerto #2 and Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (CBS Masterworks DDD 1984)
  • Steely Dan - Katy Lied (MCA AAD 1985)
  • Sade - Love Deluxe (Epic 1992)
  • Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (Warner Brothers 1985)
  • Nora Jones - Come Away With Me (Blue Note 2002)

Vinyl

• Ewa Poblocka (Piano) - JS BachChopinDebussy (Deutsche Grammophon 1981)
  • Supertramp - Crime of the Century (A&M 1974)
  • Pousette-Dart Band - Amnesia (Capital 1977)
  • Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Columbia 1975)
  • Heart - Dreamboat Annie (Mushroom 1976)
  • Janis Ian - Between the Lines (Columbia 1975)
  • Phoebe Snow - Phoebe Snow (Shelter 1974)
  • Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac (Reprise/WB 1975)
  • Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (Warner Brothers 1977)
  • ELO - Face the Music (United Artists 1975)
  • Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic (ABC 1974)
  • Steely Dan - Aja (ABC 1977)
  • Little River Band - Little River Band (Harvest 1975)
  • Al Stewart - Year of the Cat (Arista 1976)
  • Harry Chapin - Greatest Stories Live (Elektra 1976)
  • Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman (A&M 1970)

Components used in this evaluation:
Macbook Pro
TDK DA-5700 Digital Audio Recorder/Player
Fluance RT-85 Turntable
Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Cartridge
Goldring E3 Phono Cartridge
Schiit Mani Phono Preamp
Schiit Modius DAC
Schiit Freya+ Preamp
PS Audio M700 Power Amps
Magnepan LRS Speakers
Wharfedale WH-D8 Subwoofer
JBL PS-120 Subwoofer

1 Like

You may already know this but wanted to make others aware considering this set-up.
In passive mode it is truly passive so XLR in will go out only XLR and SE in out SE only. In your setup subs wonā€™t get any signal in this mode. Also the XLR is hotter than the SE so youā€™ll need to account for this with sub gain.

Nice to see the pairing so well reviewed. I think youā€™ve got a very excellent system there.

You have done me wrong. I have been working very hard to resist buying the Freya+. Now you pushed me to where I may have to give the Freya+ a shot at joining the team. :grinning:

Great choice of music too! :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the comments.
There must be something wrong with your Freya+, though. All my outputs are active regardless of what mode I use.

Iā€™m quoting directly from Schiit:

So I can run this fully passive, no gain stage at all?

Yes, no problem at all. Just donā€™t expect it to convert single-ended to balanced or anything like that. It is, after all, passive.
Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in Texas and California

But, you know, Iā€™ve never actually tested it. Maybe their FAQ is wrong? Iā€™ll test mine later.

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™m sure this statement is true but it doesnā€™t mean you wouldnā€™t get a signal to your SE outputs in this mode, itā€™s just not balanced. I was curious when you said my subs wouldnā€™t work in that mode so I tested mine and had no issue. Best wishes.

1 Like

My dealer told me the same thing when I got my .7s. I was on the fence about whether to go with the 1.7i instead and he said Iā€™d be better off with the .7s and putting the difference toward a better amplifier. Which I did, though the M700s werenā€™t exactly the specific ā€œbetter amplifierā€ he would have had me buy. :wink: