SGCD with Roon Nucleus

I have used Apple computers exclusively for 15 years, but never for music. I have used servers or streamers with usb drives attached.

My impression is that for traditional source components and amplifiers there is a lot of marketing hype and the products are priced on what the brand name can demand. With servers and streamers, which largely originated from a computer-audiophile user base, people know the component cost. These devices also have a list of available features and services, so it is quite easy for consumers like me to make a list, see what fits the bill, and you effectively pay for every additional feature you purchase, whether it is a better power supply, SSD or hard disc capacity. Plus most of these units are sold direct and are often built to order. What’s more, many companies use the same methods. So I think the consumer is now very lucky and gets good value. Roon openly state that the Roon Nucleus simply saves users from having to build their own, for which they pay a modest premium and get a nice case. Roon provide their operating system if you want to build your own. Great for the consumer, terrible for premium priced audio manufacturers!

Transferring a ripped CD library into Roon is a piece of cake. Just plug in a usb drive or connect to a network location. For some favourite albums, I’ve also recorded the stream from my phono amp (my unit has a 2-way USB port) and stored in Roon with photos of the actual album cover and the liner notes. Again, very easy and you can store as many images as you like, or choose them from Roon’s own database.