Shootout!

Not getting too excited just yet… But I do now have the bryston bdp-2 on loan. I can’t set it up just yet, but the shoot out is on very soon. Bridge vs w4s server vs bdp-2. I’m looking forward to this! (Ok, I am a bit excited really).

I’m excited. :slight_smile:

I am seriously considering one of these, with the Wyred 4 Sound server as the other major contender. The W4S comes with I2S capability, and the Bryston can be modded with Sonore’s I2S board.

I eagerly await your reports.

The “World” is watching. :slight_smile:

From my own experience the results with the BDP-2 will be very dependent on the digital interconnect that you use. I am using a Cardas Clear balanced. It replaced an Analysis Plus Digital Oval and was a definite improvement.

I am anxiously waiting to read of your findings.

Thanks, Haxter1.

And Welcome!

OK, enough time has passed! We need a report!

Especially BDP v. W4S.

Haha… Patience please, I haven’t even got the BDP-2 home yet! Preliminary report in maybe 12hrs.

ARGH!

My belly button is puckering and unpuckering in anticipation.

Just over 11 hours to go . . .

Thankfully it’s your belly button puckering and un-puckering…

Gross! :))

No ‘bellybutton’ references in the Urban Dictionary under ‘pucker’. Much else…

Only five hours to go!

Only five hours to go!

The bryston is hooked up. I'm just transferring a few files onto USB sticks...

BDP-2 hooked up via a Chord ProDac digital coax. Cursing that I sold some of my better quality digital cables after getting the PWD + bridge. I will hopefully have a wireworld aes/ebu cable arriving soon. Feeding the BDP-2 I have some basic USB sticks with a mix of my favourite hi-res flac and cd rips in alac or flac.

W4S ms2 is using HDMI cable to the PWD II. Same files, stored on the ms2.

The bridge is fed same files served from a Mac mini via EMM. Bridge firmware 13c. EMM 32.03.

Let the listening commence…

uh, need any help listening?

I have the BDP for 2-3 weeks. Let me know if you are free.

Bearing in mind this is a preliminary report… The BDP-2 has the lead.

All 3 have great bass. The bridge has a ‘meaty’ but very slightly muddled midrange. The ms2 is drier but, seems better suited to micro details and music textures. The BDP-2 has the best balance of these elements, although closer to the W4S overall. Where there is most difference is in the treble. The BDP is noticeably ‘blacker’ in the background, without losing any detail or imaging.

The old ‘massed strings’ test really brings out the best in BDP-2. However I need to try it with some more diverse music and something with treble energy to see if there is something being taken away.

Fascinating. Thanks for the preliminary thoughts!

I hope David is able to stop by as well.

If you get a chance, please also try reading files off of a USB drive with the BDP-2 if you have one handy.

I have been very happy with upgrading and tweaking my new PC server. The Bryston would be a heck of a lot easier, though. And not much more expensive to boot!

Bearing in mind this is a preliminary report... The BDP-2 has the lead.

All 3 have great bass. The bridge has a 'meaty' but very slightly muddled midrange. The ms2 is drier but, seems better suited to micro details and music textures. The BDP-2 has the best balance of these elements, although closer to the W4S overall. Where there is most difference is in the treble. The BDP is noticeably 'blacker' in the background, without losing any detail or imaging.

The old 'massed strings' test really brings out the best in BDP-2. However I need to try it with some more diverse music and something with treble energy to see if there is something being taken away.

Did you try digital out verses digital output for a base line?

Jesus R