Smart Meters and Audio

Of course correlation does not equal causation, but when you look at all the studies, and there are plenty of them, showing a Link between cellphone and smart meter emissions and adverse health effects, I wise person would take certain precautions. I never hold my cell to my head. I either use it on speakerphone, or use Air tube earbuds, and place the phone on a table away from me. I also use a wallet style cellphone case that uses RF blocking materials on the front cover. So when the phone goes into my back pocket, or Iā€™m holding the phone in my hand, the RF blocking material is between my body and the phone, deflecting and reducing the amount of radiation Iā€™m being exposed to.

I also opted out of accepting a smart meter on my house, knowing that myself and my Hi-fi gig would greatly benefit from less RF exposure.

One more precaution Iā€™ve taken is using the bridge mode on my Comcast modem/ router, which turns off the wireless wifi, but keeps my desktop computer connected through the hardwired ethernet connection. I can also place my cellphone into airplane mode, and use an adapter to hardwire my phone to the modem, allowing me to use it without the cellular network.

1 Like

It was the glue that did him in.

3 Likes

I, too, refused a smart meter. I told my provider it isnā€™t a legal requirement to own/use a smart meter so I wasnā€™t interested. Seldom phone just text.

Gary, I get the feeling you are one of natures great worriersā€¦ I canā€™t see you playing Russian roulette, or riding high speed motorcycles naked and without brakes, or Skydiving without a parachute. Youā€™re just too pedantically safeā€¦ :grin:

1 Like

My friend had a very successful and lucrative limousine business. His biggest client was Feline productions, where he provided all the shuttle and limousine service for every band that preformed in the Denver metropolitan area. He was constantly on his cell phone, and predominantly held it to the right side of his head, where the tumor developed. I tried to warn him, but fortunately, it went in one ear and out the other.

I still think it was the glue.

Correlation is causation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I donā€™t worry, I just take prudent precautions when necessary.

1 Like

Mat 6:34ā€¦ Donā€™t worry about tomorrow. It will take care of itself. You have enough to worry about todayā€¦

1 Like

I long thought this was Shakespeare as so many English idioms are sourced in his writings.

i particularity like the King James version, so much of this translation is gorgeous, regardless of oneā€™s beliefs:

ā€œTake therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereofā€.

3 Likes

[WARNING-LONG, OFF-TOPIC POST]

Sometimes, stuff happens. But itā€™s in our nature to seek someone or something to blame.

On the other hand, ā€œsettled scienceā€ is too often an oxymoron. Our human experience is littered with examples where common activities, uses of materials, medicines, technologies, etc. once considered perfectly safe are later judged as too dangerous for their intended purpose - all things considered (and once something judged to be better comes along).

At the end of the day, I land on the side of personal choice when it comes to risk assessment and risk aversion/acceptance. No matter how good the risk communication is, how low the potential risk is and how high the benefit vs. risk ratio is, someone will be in the outlier class and/or remain unconvinced by the risk analysis.

One manā€™s acceptable risk is anotherā€™s anathema.

So, as much as practicable, the proverbial ā€œweā€ should not force individuals to accept and be subject to a risk they are not comfortable with. (Yes, I understand that when it comes to public policy there are sometimes practical limitations to such a libertarian approach.)

Smart meters are a pretty good, if not perfect, example. If you donā€™t want one for technical, potential risk or personal reasons, donā€™t get one. The real issue here is when the Gubment decides it knows whatā€™s best for you and yours, and mandates technology that people fear or just plain donā€™t want intruding on their personal right to choose what they use and are exposed to in their own home.

Outlawing incandescent light bulbs is an analogous (sort of) example of risk management gone awry. Pushing compact fluorescent light bulbs over incandescent light bulbs to ā€œsave the planetā€ by saving KWHs was, IMO, an example of misguided political overreach, rather than good ā€œenvironmental policyā€.* Two examples of ā€œunintended consequencesā€ resulting form this push: 1.) forced POTENTIAL Hg exposure risks on to millions of people; and 2.) created the need for an increase in household hazardous waste storage, treatment and disposal capacity and the concommitant collection and concentration of trace amounts of Hg into significant quantities at places where real risk of release and exposure to the environment and persons could now occur. (LEDs made, or will arguably have made, this particular discussion moot.) For a while we (in the U.S. at least) were headed to the point where one had no choice when going to the store to replace an incandescent bulb that had expired - buy a lightbulb with Hg in it or stay in the dark.

Anyway, letā€™s let people set their own risk comfort level and act accordingly as much as possible. Thatā€™s my mantra. :slight_smile:

[@jmilton: This post is not really directed at anything you wrote, specifically. This just seemed to be a good point to inject my screed.]

*Here is an article from what appears to be a ā€œgreen-leaningā€ website bending over backwards and twisting itself in knots (IMO), trying to make a definitive case that compact fluorescent bulbs are better for you and the environment: Mercury in CFL: 5. Do environmental benefits of compact fluorescent lamps outweigh potential risks?.

Sincerely yours.

3 Likes

There are always tradeoffs. Determining where to draw lines is exceedingly difficult.

1 Like

Mercury being a neurotoxin doesnā€™t belong in amalgam fillings, vaccines, or our light bulbs.

EHT WINS IN HISTORIC DECISION, FEDERAL COURT ORDERS FCC TO EXPLAIN WHY IT IGNORED SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE SHOWING HARM FROM WIRELESS RADIATION

Today, the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled in the historic case EHT et al. v. the FCC that the December 2019 decision by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to retain its 1996 safety limits for human exposure to wireless radiation was ā€œarbitrary and capricious.ā€

The court held that the FCC failed to respond to ā€œrecord evidence that exposure to RF radiation at levels below the Commissionā€™s current limits may cause negative health effects unrelated to cancer.ā€ Further, the agency demonstrated ā€œa complete failure to respond to comments concerning environmental harm caused by RF radiation.ā€ The court found the FCC ignored numerous organizations, scientists and medical doctors who called on them to update limits and the court found the FCC failed to address these issues:

impacts of long term wireless exposure
impacts to children,
the testimony of people injured by wireless radiation,
impacts to wildlife and the environment
impacts to the developing brain and reproduction.

Soā€¦this case had nothing to do with technology or new findings related to RF exposure. All the court agreed with was that the FCC was doing a crappy job of following administrative requirements for the agency. In other words, the court found that government bureaucrats werenā€™t properly meeting the administrative requirements created by other government bureaucratsā€¦let me pause for a second while I prepare my ā€œshocked faceā€ā€¦ :scream:

To be honest, I can actually empathize with the FCC in this case. Iā€™ve worked in the utility technology field for 20+ years, much of it with so called ā€œsmart meterā€ companies, and Iā€™ve actually been subjected to the practices of groups like EHT. Iā€™ve testified on panels in both the U.S. and Canada where ā€œsmart meterā€ deployments were being contested by groups like EHT, and for the most part, the ā€œevidenceā€ they present is borderline comical. Their basic tactic is to bombard agencies like the FCC with their ā€œevidenceā€, and force the agency to comply with their own administrative guidelines, meaning they have to waste their time responding to EVERYTHING submitted to them. When the FCC eventually starts ignoring the garbage that theyā€™re filing, they take them to court for not being ā€œresponsiveā€. Itā€™s total B.S., and itā€™s a waste of public resources. Government agencies are already ridiculously inefficient, and crap like this just makes the situation worseā€¦

Is there a handful of research that suggests there might be human health issues related to RF exposureā€¦sure. In addition there is a mountain of research that suggests otherwise. Given the inability to control all variables, all the time, when doing research on a topic like this, you have to go with the mountain over the handful.

That saidā€¦Freedom is freedom, and anyone that wants to minimize their personal exposure to RF emissions absolutely has the right to do so. Rock on. :metal:

4 Likes

An excellent summary.

Absolutely.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Letā€™s get back to the purpose of the thread.

As stated by the OP:

We will leave the health/green debate to others.

Thank you!

4 Likes

LOL.

Sometime this summer we are getting smart meters installed. I will see if I notice anything different.
We already have some sort of early version smart meter. It is digital and can be read remotely by the utility but not by the consumer / end user.

My THD doubled from 1.5% to 3% plus after smart meters were installed in my neighborhood.

Mine runs between 2.5% and 3.5% at this time. It was higher last summer I think due to a new Marijuana grow operation in the neighborhood.
It will be interesting to see what happens when they do the swap. I may have to put a Faraday cage around the meter.

1 Like

Yike