Snowmass DirectStream Junior

Me too. I suspect it is on the PS Audio side. No updates for you - or me.

Some DSJ owners have reported the same thing and have had to reboot a few times before the update finally sticks. Turn down your volume, btw. Once it installs it reboots with a “pop.”

The update is great, at least for people like me who use the Bridge to stream Tidal over Roon. It fixes the cut-off issue when changing sample rates. It also seems to do something good with MQA playback, at least to my ears.

Some people have noted possible problems with stored media, particularly it seems for 2x or 4x DSD sources. Since I don’t use Roon for that, I can’t comment. And there is a possible issue if playback isn’t bit perfect I believe. Others can comment or correct me if I’m wrong.

Btw not to sound too snarky, but the delay in issuing Snowmass for DSJ could actually be a good thing, if some of the bugs get ironed out before the release.

Good luck getting the update and curious to hear what you think. For me, it solved a persistent little annoyance and also sounds very good.

Nothing wrong with being active on other forums promoting this brand. I do it whenever possible. Especially after a new mountain top. This business is a lot of ‘word of mouth’ - whether it be thru reviews or thru loyal owners giving comparisons. We can add to the good press by being active on OTHER forums which will always help future sales of the DS product. I bought it without hearing it based on many reviews by people online/ professional reviews as like many have no place to hear it. Give others an opportunity to hear your opinion of a great product/people/company.

I have a question regarding Snowmass DS Sr. and DS Jr.

For DS Sr., Paul, Darren and perhaps others selected the best version of the 20 options and then incorporated that into the DS Sr. software and it became operational.

For the DS Jr, it sounds like the same approach is being taken, i.e. select the best of 20 and incorporate into the Jr.'s architecture.

If i have this right, i wonder why you don’t use the same version for both? If #19 is good for DS Sr. why not also good for DS. Jr.? And if you find a “better” sounding version for the Jr., it is really the same as Snowmass for the Sr.? Since it is not the same version, maybe it should have a different name or version number? If it is not the same version, won’t the Sr. and Jr. play music differently. And then the Sr. and Jr. are not only different from a physical perspective but also a software perspective.

I mean no criticism here. I am just kind of wondering about the subjective differences coming into play and how they are managed.

@Paul, @DarrenMyers

You never know, it is conceivable that the DSJ update will have a better incremental improvement over the DS!!

1 Like

The 20 compiles for either the Jr or Sr all have the identical source and given the same inputs will produce the same outputs. The only differences between them is what FPGA generated electrical noise shows up on power supplies and how much FPGA generated jitter is on the outputs.

The Jr and Sr aren’t the same hardware (but the hardware is close from the view of the FPGA). Almost all of the source is identical between them. The sound qualities of a given release are the same between the Jr and the Sr. The frequency response, phase response, etc. will be identical. The noise floor will be a little different. But given the same inputs the same bits will be output.

3 Likes

Agreed - but please note i did not assume Jr.'s version to be better or worse. That was not the point of my query.

Thanks Ted - query addressed. :pray::slightly_smiling_face:

Ted,
Sorry, I should have included an Emoji with my post. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Do we have an ETA on the DSJ release? I think we are about on track according to Paul’s estimates last week.

I don’t have any special information - I know Paul is checking often to see where things are.

No problem, I was directly answering the post above it. Indeed it could be that the Snowmass/Redcloud delta for the Jr is different than the delta for the Sr. I don’t expect that the Jr will end up better than the Sr, or that the delta will be “twice as big” or anything like that, but I’m sure that the people that have both would be able to find some subtle differences in the differences.

2 Likes

That will allay any audio-nervosa for DSJ owners then.:thinking::wink:

I can speak to some of that, but am going to check if it’s OK that I do.

1 Like

Great question and an easy answer. While the basic architecture between Sr. and Jr. is nearly identical they are not. Jr. has differences specific to its output the Sr. does not (Ted might correct me on this but in essence it’s correct). We are given separate builds for both and once anything changes we have to go through and redo the entire evaluation process again. Lastly, FPGA build #whatever for Sr. will not be even remotely the same build for Jr. even though Ted might label each the same 1 through 20. Every compile is different.

3 Likes

…

…calm before the Junior Storm ?

1 Like

The best things are worth waiting for… although the waiting can be tough. :roll_eyes:
:wink:

Like (I’m guessing) many/most of us, I started out thinking, “Once you’ve sorted the Senior, how hard can it be to make the Junior code happen?”

Like Sgt. Schultz from Hogan’s Heroes - I Knew NUH-Think!! : )

The reality is that it is at LEAST equally hard and time consuming, and it can turn out to be harder - and you won’t know until you do it. There may be some bits you can learn from the one to be aware of in the other, but they are simply two entirely separate processes.

The PIC codes (which are written by PS internally rather than Ted - which are unique to each DAC and without which it can’t be released in finished form) are written/developed in parallel with the compile evaluation process. Ted hands off the compiles to PS, and they go to work on evaluating, coding and implementing it.

The Junior PIC code is still being written, debugged and rewritten until it’s all good. I would not make any predictions about a release date, as much of a bummer as that may be. But I would prefer code without issues any day ; )

1 Like

So you don’t use Windows? Sorry, couldn’t resist.

2 Likes

So will the dsj version of the firmware require removal of or wiping of the sd card to prevent reflashing on restart as per the senior? I guess leaving the sd card out after the firmware update is not a biggy in the dsj as there is no requirement to store artwork?
Can we assume also that the dsj with have the fade in feature?