Spikes and subwoofer platforms

Hi folks

Piece of advice and probably a stupid question. I have had a pair of BK subs in my main stereo rig for a while. Like with all subs there is an issue with transmitted vibration rattling stuff in the room and sometimes muddying the bass. Its a fairly big room with a harwood floor where the subs sit, though most of the floor is covered in a large rug. I have tried spikes and the pucks which go under washing machines. The pucks actually vibrated themselves and caused more noise so I am back to spikes.

I have now ordered a pair of Auralex subdude HT isolation platforms, mainly because I found them significantly discounted online. So my question is this. Do I take the spikes off the subs when I place them on the platforms, or keep the spikes on ?

I assume I take them off but it occurred to me I really didn’t know.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

You won’t know their system interaction until you try it. Try both ways.

Also worth trying are the IsoAcoustics Stage 1 footers. I have those under my subwoofers and they’ve substantially reduced room floor coupling. I use Auralex Gramma platforms under all my equipment.

Things in the room still vibrate from the air waves at very high volumes (90dB+), but are very well controlled at normal levels.

Thanks, Vee.

Trial and error. Always a sound strategy (no pun intended).

Jim

The footers SVS sells for the subs work on other subs and they’re cheap.

You are gonna love how completely the Auralex Gramma/Subdude isolation platforms eliminate your suspended hardwood floor’s propensity to drone along with the subs. I used the Auralex Great Gramma (bigger version of Subdude) to great effect beneath the quad of Paradigm Servo 15s I once owned.

On to your direct question- If the spikes are already threaded in place of the stock feet, I’d just leave 'em on so the sub securely couples to the platform.

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to it.

Ditto on the SVS isolators. They work good and are $49 per set of 4.

I have been using the IsoAcoustics iso200sub isolators for a few years now with great success, especially on these old suspended wood floors. They make a big difference… a.k.a. - improvement!

https://isoacoustics.com/iso-200sub-acoustic-isolation-stand-for-subwoofers/

Actually the SVS feet are more expensive right now in the UK than the Auralex platforms are. Worth a thought if the plats dont work or my wife hates them ( my BK subs have a fairly small footprint as they have twin 10 inch drivers stacked vertically, and the discounted plats are the HT size - 22" x 18 " ). Still, she might not notice…
Unfortunately she just retired so my previous ruse of getting stuff delivered and set up while she is out is now much harder to pull off.

I forget about the world wide participation here.

I use one of these for my fathom, seems to work well:

Yep. Coming to you from the West of Scotland. In the rain. As usual.

Yep Ryan. That’s the model I ordered. Hopefully come in a day or two. Cheers.

Replying to you from the West of Michigan. Also in the cold rain which becomes near normal this time of year. :grin:

Got em and love em.