Streaming options for new DSD MkII?

any thoughts on best connection from aurilac aires g1? im brand new to this streaming stuff and not sure which connection to directstream dac is best? any advice appreciated.

We need some transparency from PS Audio on the streaming options to the the DSD mk2.
The sooner the better, given all the other available options.

I’m a little confused by the request for transparency. The inputs to the DAC are documented, what else do you need?
If instead you are asking for information about probable upcoming streaming products then you can make that clear, but that doesn’t have anything, per se, to do with the DS Mk II.

4 Likes

I am indeed asking about probable streaming products, @tedsmith .
The dac mk2 is clearly defined and very interesting and tempting indeed.

To my ears the AES connection sounds the best and I have tried the G1 with multiple DACs including the DS.

Maybe I am not understating your inquiry either, b/c this strikes me as pretty darned “transparent”:

Have you perused this page yet?

Regards.

3 Likes

No I have not.
Thank you for pointing it out.

1 Like

Bridge 3 - stand-alone box with upgraded power supplies and I2S output. Most likely WiFi and Ethernet.

2 Likes

…And a USB A for HDD, SSD and OCTAVE software , as promised by PAUL last year. Then its clear that BRIDGE lll is going to be a great succes . CD ripping is a niche not everybody needs, Streaming has been a past, present and future reality and its sound is improving constantly. This is the NEW ERA of enjoying the great pleasure of MUSIC

Don’t know, as I have no experience with it yet. But I don’t reckon that aspect is going to change.

It is a bit of an apples and oranges thing, as the Ethernet “input” on the DS’s is not a digital audio input as the other digital inputs are. The Bridge is a little streaming input board - and what one would compare that with is an external streamer like the Auralics, et. al.

That is a big and complex question that is dependent on many factors.

One thing that has become abundantly clear to me is that with digital sources, just as with analog - the quality of Everything Matters.

One of the reasons I went to an Auralic streamer a couple of years ago was that after 15+ years of noodling with Mac Mini-based servers, upgrading and adding better and better parts of the chain between it and the DAC (all of which were audible), I wanted a single box that took care of all of that at a higher level. Which it did - for a while.

Then I started tweaking that chain, and I’m back in the same place - with a bunch of upgraded and more costly parts of a chain linking the server and DAC. All of the improvements were incrementally audible. But arguably the most sonically profound tweak I’ve made recently was replacing the power supply board inside the streamer, and that cost a fraction of all of the outboard tweaks I’ve made.

So in a sense that would be an argument for simply investing in a higher level of streamer (by whatever maker), as that is exactly one of the differences between levels of server - better power supply, better caps, better isolation (electronically and vibration-wise) between areas of the server, etc.

1 Like