Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

Streaming a ripped CD. I like the entire album but for starters track 9 is a gem (especially the trumpet and the piano)

2 Likes

Nice room acoustics on this live recording. And I could listen to Lynne Arriale play piano all day.

5 Likes

We had plans to see her perform in Madison, WI at a small venue. Then the pandemic hit and it was cancelled. Hope she visits.

2 Likes

Many were looking forward to this performance. COVID has clearly impacted traveling performers and unfortunately continues to. All I can add is to support your local artists in the best way you can as they are very appreciative of your attendance. Comments we continually receive from the artists is how they miss the audience feedback of a live performance.

2 Likes

Nice trio recording of ‘standards’. Sounds great on qobuz.

2 Likes

Another SACD ripped. Just finished listening to it.

2 Likes

Based on a posting by @weedeewop acquired some Archie Shepp. Good stuff.

4 Likes

A lovely bass and trumpet duet! Perfect for a Sunday evening.

3 Likes

Excellent 2019 cd.

3 Likes

Woody Shaw “Blackstone Legacy” Contemporary 2 LP set

My LP playback is so much better since I last played this! Young, brash Woody. and Ron Casrter and Benny Maupin really shine. And Lenny White is showing his Tony Williams influence strongly.

“This album is dedicated to the youth who will benefit mankind. To the youth who are constantly aware of the turmoil in which the world is and who are trying to right all these wrongs – whether in music or in speech or in any other way of positive work.

This album is dedicated to the freedom of Black people all over the world. And it’s dedicated to the people in the ghettos here. The ‘stone’ in the title is the image of strength. I grew up in a ghetto – funky houses, rats and roaches, stinking hallways. I’ve seen all of that, and I’ve seen people overcome all of that. This music is meant to be a light of hope, a sound of strength and of coming through. It’s one for the ghetto.

We’re trying to express what’s happening in the world today as we – a new breed of young musicians – feel it. I mean the different tensions in the world, the ridiculous war in Vietnam, the oppression of poor people in this, a country of such wealth. The cats on this date usually discuss these things, but we’re all also trying to reach a state of spiritual enlightenment in which we’re continually aware of what’s happening but react in a positive way. The music in this album, you see, expresses strength – confidence that we’ll overcome these things.”

Woody Shaw - trumpet
Gary Bartz - alto saxophone, soprano saxophone
Bennie Maupin - tenor saxophone, bass clarinet
George Cables - piano, electric piano
Ron Carter - bass
Clint Houston - electric bass
Lenny White - drums

1 Like

Svensk Jazzhistoria Vol. 8 - Swedish Jazz 1956-1959 - Topsy Theme

Someone was selling one of these volumes on another board and I realized I had four volumes in storage so I fetched them and am enjoying listening to them.

Now disc 2 of this set.

Anthony Braxton “Quartet (Standards) 2020”

1 Like

Couldn’t stay away from this set.

Lee Morgan “Complete Live at the Lighthouse 1970” Blue Note Japan UHQCD box set, disc 5

[​IMG]

1 Like

I am a sucker for pretty much any “Live at the Village Vanguard” recording. Its one of my favorite places on the entire planet.

2 Likes

Charlie Parker - Mercury & Clef 10-inch LP Collection

4 Likes

Second Archie Shepp album recently acquired.

3 Likes

“Svensk Jazzhistoria Vol. 10 - Swedish Jazz 1965 - 1969 - Watch Out!” disc 2

A volume full of interesting music in great sound. I’ve always liked Swedish jazz and this series gives a fascinating overview.

Picked this up on a whim.

3 Likes

Been on a bit of a Billy harper kick lately and pulled out this, Nommo.

1 Like

Thanks to discussion on another board I pulled out this 3 disc set to listen to–a fascinating collection of full reel transfers of fascinating sessions by this fascinating Quintet.

Lots of banter and rehearsal goings on but the mastering here is really really good.

Miles Davis “Freedom Jazz Dance” Sony cds, disc 1

This is the only volume in the series that I don’t have in Blu-Spec CD2 form from Sony. It didn’t seem available as the cdjapan listing doesn’t note Blu-Spec CD2. But looking elsewhere the same Sony catalog number is Blu-Spec CD2 so I added it to an order shipping next week. Sigh. The life of a Miles Davis collector is never easy. Trust me. I’ve been one since 1972.