Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

Fascinating, utterly fascinating. Collecting Mlies, well that is easy. Paying for it may be another matter, and then there is the opportunity costs as in what would I have purchased otherwise. This trio CD set is a worthy addition, no matter the source.

1 Like

Disc 8, featuring of all things the piece Nommo, payed faster than that on Max Roachā€™s Drums Unlimited.

3 Likes

Somehow I manage to buy all those other things anyway without starving or infuriating my wife. So nearly five full decades of experiencing Miles Davis collecting have been instructive! :wink:

It can be like collecting Grateful Dead in a way, until one considers Dickā€™s Picks which I have taken a pass on.

Right. I have all the Dickā€™s Picks and Daveā€™s Picks and Road series with shows up through the Godchaux years. . . and hardly listen to any past Pigpenā€™s passing. . . they may be subject to a culling in the near future. Weā€™ll see. I was never the collector of the Dead as passionately as many jazz artists, but really admire their official release conception and practice.

1 Like

Yes, I stuck with the Original releases, the bootlegs, not so much.

1 Like

I actually have hundreds of bootlegs that have been in storage for years now. When my late first wife was undergoing extensive treatment for her lymphoma and MDS over a two year period and we were living in Houston near M.D. Anderson for about a year on and off I downloaded so so many shows while waiting in clinic waiting rooms and extended stay rooms and burned them to disc and made covers for them and printed and assembled them and tried to listen to each at least once. . .just to pass the time doing something entertaining and sustaining and constructive. Some were pretty astonishing in their binaural atmosphere when listening on headphones. I remember distincly someone singing along with Jerry seemingly right behind me to the lert listening to one audience tape. Weird! But after she passed. . . just looking at all those covers gave me bad memory vibes and they are all in cd file boxes in my storage unit. . . . One day I may have to courage to revisit them (itā€™s been nearly 14 years since Helen passed) but that time isnā€™t yet. It would be interesting to see all those covers I created though.

I saw this one on the shelf and it jumped into my hand. Iā€™m thinking guitar lately, been back into fooling around with my own. Thereā€™s no one like Kenny. He has such strong technique but he plays with feeling and has a great musical sound and thought with structure and drama. I forget how amazing he can be til I put on one of his recordings. Amazeballs.

Kenny Burrell (Trio) ā€œ12-15-78 Live at the Village Vanguardā€ Concord 2 cd set, disc 1

2 Likes

As a bit of a side note to this topic - recently Rick Beato did an interview with Ron Carter on his youtube channel that is pretty good. Recommended if you havenā€™t seen it

Ron Carter Interview

Count Basie Kansas City 3 ā€œFor the Second Timeā€ OJC Pablo cd

R-3123546-1535250534-9954.jpeg.jpg

This IS a chill pill. Sounds great too.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think I have ever heard a bad set from Kenny Burrell. A few passing ones maybe but none bad.

1 Like

Agreed.

1 Like

Ceramic Dog, Hope a recent release from Marc Ribot.

Summing Things Up, Ribot.

2 Likes

Just learned of the passing of an important player on the Free Jazz scene, Jemeel Moondoc.

Jemeel Moondoc

1 Like

This K2 super coding Japanese CD just arrived and it sounds so good I did a double-take to make sure it wasnā€™t an SACD.

2 Likes

With a strong Cuban influence, to say the least. Marc Ribot excels on this release.

3 Likes

Billy Harper is so underrated. An amazing sax player.

2 Likes

I agree and to this day it surprises me how few are aware of his work. The Strata East reissues have hopefully allowed for greater access to his music. :wink:

2 Likes

Also, one day I put together that Norman Taylor who often plays with him is Norman Taylor Baker who often plays with Matthew Shipp. Sometimes Iā€™m slow on the uptake. I met NTB after a Matthew Shipp Trio gig and heā€™s a great guyā€¦ as are MS and Michael Bisio.

1 Like