Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

Wisconsin Public Radio offers To The Best of Our Knowledge (TBOOK). Today, October 10, 2021, WPR re-broadcast the piece Jazz Migrations which considers the roots of jazz and jazz as an African music form. An interesting piece with references to Ethiopian and South African jazz. I tend to consider it more of a kaleidoscopic musical interpretation associated with the African diaspora.

Regardless here it is and worth an hour of your time:

Jazz Migrations

4 Likes

Monumental!

1 Like

May be an image of 4 people

6 Likes

Although it’s not their root music, my wife and son might quite sure recognize a lot of monk tunes. Because I heard and always hear it a lot, but also because his tunes are immediately identifiable. A genius.

1 Like

And. . .today he’s a birthday boy!

2 Likes

2 Likes

Being that it is Thelonious’ birthday and this was handy, why not?

3 Likes

Happy birthday!

1 Like

Hey just three days til Lee’s birthday!

2 Likes

Sun Ra and His Solar Arkestrs, Visits Planet Earth. Tympani, and some fine baritone sax work as Sonny swings by for a visit!

1 Like

Tone Poem is a nice album.

2 Likes

My girlfriend’s late father was friends with Monk. Monk lived in a large, beautiful house in South Orange, NJ.
Story is that The Monks made killer french toast.

5 Likes

A good suggestion, mandatory requirement that all my dates bring a jazz record with them to listen to when they swing by.

Having neglected Dr. Lonnie Smith it seems recently I have not been able to listen to enough of his work. African Suite from Evolution, released on Blue Note.

2 Likes

LAP0004
Just arrived!

6 Likes

51MnOg27mQL
Pure Pleasure got it right with this one. A nice, dynamic album. Excellent playing all around.

2 Likes