Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

A fine documentary capturing the feel of BlueNote and the New York Jazz scene through the life of the tragic trumpeter Lee Morgan.

3 Likes

Just started streaming this album on the better system. Was listening to it earlier in the car. Got through to the 6th track. Tracks 3 and 6 are excellent. The buildups to these tracks are good too.
@Serhan thanks for posting. A keeper. I’d buy it for those 2 tracks anytime.

2 Likes

Good stuff. Is it smooth jazz or jazz / rock fusion?

RIP Chuck Loeb!

The latter…

1 Like

3 Likes

Two stand-outs to be sure!

Terrific sax/piano duets.

1 Like

It’s been a weird week of time for me. One of the mono blocks in main system suffered a rectifier failure, and though I think I could have just replaced the fuses or a fuse in the protection circuit built in I sent it back to the mothership for a once over. So I’ve listened some on headphones in the same system and to the second system that I have downstairs which I have been fiddling with and getting to sound a bit better as well with tube-rolling and speaker orientation.

But I’ve also had less time to listen with the surprise visit of family members from across the nation to see my Dad, my wife having a bit of a crisis from a dog bite to the hand, and due to some travels to achieve some automotive changes to my wife’s Honda and a weird banking error which ate up time. Also being situated in the larger room with the second system has gotten me to spend more time with a few new guitar acquisitions, not at all a bad thing. And I’ve had to set up and repopulate and play around with a new laptop. It’s nice to have a new, better one, but also a pain to get it up and rolling and familiar.

And then yesterday I learned of the October sale of the PerfectWave Transport and ordered one of those, with the continued help of the soon-to-be-canonized St. James H. Mind blown at what lies ahead when the Monoblock is back and the PWT is installed.

Yesterday and today I have been listening to the Grateful Dead box set that arrived Saturday, “Listen to the River: St. Louis '71.'72 and '73” . . . . Another great sounding set thanks in part to the wonderful Plangent Process. And I’ve been listening to early Earl Garner on the series of cds put out by Chronological Classics (I still need the first one, “1944,” darn it. Both the Dead of this vintage and the music of the Elf share a joyous drive that is really therapeutic to me.

Right now:

Ouch, did that rectifier fail hard? Speakers are unharmed? Oh well, as they say life moves on.

2 Likes

In Steve’s more recent amps he’s added fuses for the rectifier(s) and nothing is usually damaged at all. . .certainly there was no damage to the speakers. I think everything is cool with the amp . . . will probably get a report from Steve and Sarah soon.

1 Like

Good to hear, a fast fuse is one’s constant friend. Rectifier tube failures can be rather nasty and consequential.

1 Like

What do you think of this one?

I listened to it once and shelved it. Kind of flat for my taste.

Oh boy! It is / was indeed an unusual week. Hold on there!

1 Like

I think I’ve got Tone Poet version of those two LPs.

I liked 4 tracks out of 11 :wink:

1 Like

I think my expectations were too high, thus the disappointment.

1 Like

Some tracks belong to the same school as Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour

Ouch!