Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

Now disc 1

Right Now!, featuring Jane Getz on piano, John Handy on alto, and Clifford Jordan on tenor.

5 Likes

Joe Lovano “Tenor Legacy” Blue Note cd

2 Likes

Nice clean and clear recording of Albert Ayler on the Philology Label. Recordings are Cafe Montmartre Copenhagen November 5,1964, and the Berlin Jazz Festival, Berlin November 3, 1966. The Montemartre performance includes Don Cherry, Gary Peacock, and Sunny Murray. The Berlin Jazz Festival includes Donald Ayler, Michel Sampson, Bill Folwell, and Beaver Harris.

The Montmartre performance is my personal favorite incarnation of the Ayler combo, partly due to the Cherry/Ayler interplay. Gary Peacock keeps things grounded, whereas Sunny Murray mixes things up a bit with a certain nervous energy. Flipping this to side two and I am reminded of how much of a romp Ghosts-Bells is. Beaver Harris’ punctuating the theme and Bill Folwell sawing away arco style.

2 Likes

Captured July 18, 1969 in Paris, Silence. Side A, Off the Top of My Head, Side B, Silence. Maybe the beginning of Wadada’s bassless forays?

1 Like

Amirtha Kidambi, Elder Ones-Holy Science, Elder Ones, Brandon Lopez, Max Jaffe, and Matt Nelson, join Amirtha on Holy Science. Some may be familiar with vocalist Amirtha Kidambi from Mary Halverson’s Code Girl. Highly recommended for fans o John Coltranes later spiritual work, as well the work of Alice Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders. Also seek out Joshua Abrams’ Natural Information Society.

Sun Ra’s Omniverse featuring track A-2 an upbeat West End Side of Magic City.

1 Like

Sundazed Reissue?

Caecilie Norby

No Sundazed here, it is the Modern Harmonic reissue on vinyl, purple vinyl that is. I do recommend it.

Sam Sanders “Mirror, Mirror” Strata Records, cd

Man, this is a time machine recording.

1 Like

Something completely different

Barney Wilen “French Ballads”

3 Likes

Barney Wilen “French Ballads”

Rolling tubes in my Decware ZROCK2. This is a good vehicle for that. A beautiful album in so many ways.

[​IMG]

4 Likes

2 Likes

A strong effort, and I appreciate what Craig Taborn brings to the Steve Lehman Trio.

1 Like

Yes, I started off with the original cd release and then moved to the new reissue cd, which has improved sonics, when I started rolling tubes. I’m sure the record sounds great but I haven’t heard it.

No comment as I continue to work through my vinyl backlog, somewhere on the order of 200 LPs. It has all become a bit of a blur. Being deprived of digital playback the vinyl focus has returned. Well maybe, as my digital streaming system still comes into play for exploring.

1 Like

Real nice good sounding release from guitarist Sebastian Noelle’s quartet.

1 Like

2 Likes

Archie Shepp “Lover Man” Timeless/Solid Records cd

2 Likes