Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

Later and mellowed out Archie I assume?

Lately I have been revisiting Ivo Perlman.

3 Likes

Ivo Perlman-Musical Storyteller

Midway through at about 36:55 there is a brief interview with Leo Feign, of Britain’s Leo Records. the driving force between Leo’s selection of artists follows his code, Never Repeat Yourself. Leo has recorded The Ganelin Trio, Sun Ra, Cecil Taylor, Evan Parker, Ivo Perlman, Anthony Braxton, Marilyn Crispell, and many others that push boundaries in the development of Creative Music. …MAKE IT NEW…

1 Like

Recorded '88. Not entirely mellowed, but he has a vocalist he is accompanying here with some spirit.

Charles Bell and the Contemporary Jazz Quartet “Another Dimension” Atlantic/Warner Japan cd (stereo)

A mono copy of this record was one of the first LPs I ever owned, and one of three jazz records from Atlantic that were in boxes of LPs given to Peace Corps volunteers in Swaziland (now Eswatini) in 1968 as a nice present. One of the volunteers that received these didn’t like jazz and gave me three jazz LPs, this among them. (I think he wanted to be nice to me, but then again my Dad was his boss, the Director of the first Peace Corps program in Swaziland, he may have been sucking up, or both).

These albums (the other two were Leo Wright “Blues Shout” and Slide Hampton “Sister Salvation”) seditiously over time turned me into the obsessive jazz listener that I am.

I love this music. I still have the LP, in playable shape. Eventually Japan released this on cd, and in nice stereo in great sound.

1 Like

Mahavishnu Orchestra “Birds of Fire” Audio Fidelity SACD

3 Likes

This sound is superior! Such an immersive performance too.

1 Like

Kenny Burrell “Blue Lights Vol. 2” Blue Note Japan SHM-CD

Honestly it doesn’t get much better than this. Love both volumes.

4 Likes

Yes the individual SHM-CD Volumes 1 & 2 were sonically a step up from the combined European CD release of Vol. 1 & 2 as above.

3 Likes

Yes. I’ve loved this music in many formats over the years. Kenny Burrell of this vintage was a real influence on my musical mind.

1 Like

No luck tracking the Archie Shepp Quartet feat. Annette Lowman, Lover Man on Tidal. I did find Splashes (Tribute to Wilbur Little) from 1988, featuring Horace Parlan, Harry Emmery, and Clifford Jarvis. Archie provides for a slightly aggressive bluesy sax, Horace is spot on, and Harry offers a rather plummy bass tone. The second track, Refelxions, has a light night smokey jazz club atmosphere to it.

Splashes

2 Likes

From his Mama Rose Days, when Shepp thought he had something to say. More of a Coltrane feel to this particular set, out there with a spiritual feel to it.

Congas – Cheikh Tidiane Fall

• Contrabass – Bob Cunningham
  • Drums – Clifford Jarvis
  • Piano – Siegfried Kessler
  • Tenor Saxophone – Archie Shepp
  • Vocals – Cheikh Tidiane Falleikh

Archie Shepp Qt- Live at the Totem Vol. 1

Things do go from a simmer to full boil about 15 minutes in…Seek it Out!

1 Like

1 Like

A trio I enjoy quite a bit.

Tracks 3 and 6 are worth listening to. “World changes” and “It is what it is“. All in all a good solid album!

3 Likes

4 Likes

Baritone sax: Gerry Mulligan
Trumpet: Chet Baker
Bass: Ron Carter
Vibraphone: Dave Samuels
Drums: Harvey Mason
Guitar: John Scofield
Keyboard: Bob James

4 Likes

Bill Evans Trio “On a Friday Evening” cd

Great sound. I think the Plangent Process should be used more often. A lot more often. Hopefully it will in the future. If I had a billion dollars I would dedicate a lot to somehow developing a home version for playback.

6 Likes

Keith Jarrett Trio “Tokyo '96” ECM cd

Keith is not like Miles. . . he’ll look back.

One of my favorites from this trio.

6 Likes

Mac Gollehon’s Smokin’ Section “Live at the Blue Note”

51D5k0YKSbL.SX466.jpg

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

1 Like

The title says it all, with Charles Mingus’ brand of humor, or is he serious?
Apparently a performance of his music planned for Monterey was cut short, down to 20 minutes, or so the story goes. Charles having none of it seized the opportunity to work through the pieces subsequently at UCLA. This two CD set on the Mingus Music label has a loose feel to it, along the lines of the Charles Mingus Workshop concept. The band is experimenting with the music, trying different ideas to see what works. The sound is very good, not audiophile quality, but individual instruments can be heard clearly.

3 Likes